• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Win or Tank?

Zod

12 minutes ago, frankw said:

Literal tanking isn't helpful but winning 3 or 4 or 5 extra games that didn't even matter in the grand scheme of things is why we have been relegated to throwing poo at the wall status. For example ask yourself if you would have happily traded that win streak with baby goat Kyle Allen for the rights to draft Justin Herbert.

We could have traded up to get Herbert. You could lose out and get the #1 pick, but if your GM does not make wise draft picks you will be in the same predicament year after year. Drafting is part skill set and part luck. I think this year will be a good barometer of Fitterers capability, assuming he is still here. 

You win. That's what sports are about ultimately. You don't piss away a season in the hopes of maybe turning it around. Took the Bengals and Browns forever to just be relevant again. Plenty of other franchises too.

The key isn't throwing a season down the shitter to bounce back the next year or two years later, it's establishing a foundation and building off that. Done right? Can take a year or two or three but you're never realistically going from absolute poo to competing the following year and then maintaining that momentum. Hasn't happened in my lifetime.

We are currently a competitive team. Not a good team, but we can be in games at a minimum. We should build off this, not throw to hope our draft picks pan out.

We're in a position as it stands to be a playoff team next year. Hell if we steal the division we can do it this year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

IMO as a fan, never tank in any sport.  To me tanking and talk of tanking is crazy. I can never understand losing on purpose.  To us fans,  it's a game, but to those men on the field, it's a job.

Tanking is like working and trying to suck so they can bring in a replacement for my manager. That doesn't guarantee that they keep me. I'm working on me getting paid.

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

You win. That's what sports are about ultimately. You don't piss away a season in the hopes of maybe turning it around. Took the Bengals and Browns forever to just be relevant again. Plenty of other franchises too.

The key isn't throwing a season down the shitter to bounce back the next year or two years later, it's establishing a foundation and building off that. Done right? Can take a year or two or three but you're never realistically going from absolute poo to competing the following year and then maintaining that momentum. Hasn't happened in my lifetime.

We are currently a competitive team. Not a good team, but we can be in games at a minimum. We should build off this, not throw to hope our draft picks pan out.

We're in a position as it stands to be a playoff team next year. Hell if we steal the division we can do it this year.

Didn't the Bengals tank?

15 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

Didn't the Bengals tank?

Nope, they were just that bad. Fired Marvin Lewis and hired Zac Taylor. Dalton was terrible and they started 0-11 that year. That was when everyone thought Chase Young would be the #1 pick. Burrow wasn’t talked about at that point as the hands down #1 pick until after LSU beat Clemson in the NC game if memory serves me correct.

Edited by roaddog96
  • Pie 2