• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rams Offering Two (Future) Firsts for Burns

Burns goes into his 5th year next season, having to pay him is not a concern, and BY THE TIME it is, dead cap hits like Robbie, and CMC will be gone. 

There are soooooo many examples of teams stacking picks HOPING they hit, look at the Raiders and all those picks with Gruden / Mayock (Clelin Ferrel, Henry Ruggs, Jonathan Abram), look at the picks the Jaguars stockpiled (K'Lavion Chasson, CJ Henderson who we got for a 3rd, Josh Allen, though he's better than the first two but not in Brian's category), or the Browns having high pick after high pick (The old ass QB Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, Baker, Trent Richardson) all 1st round picks, all on teams that were stacking up picks all teams that are still sh!tty. 

You don't trade young, talented, players with a good head on their shoulders for the hope and prayer you draft someone ''as good'' as the guy you let go. It's not good business. 

Could the Rams be bad in 23' leading to a high pick in 24', could they also be bad in 24' leading to a high pick in 25'...possibly. 

Will Brain be one of the better / consistent edge rushers over that span, absolutely, he's only getting better, his run defense / back field penetration has been excellent this year. What the team needs to do is find a competent pairing on the other side. We have Derrick in the middle ascending as well. You don't weaken your team now hoping to get something good in 2, and 3 years. 

We have 13 - or 14 picks in 23' and 24', and fit turned 7 picks into 11 in 21', we have more than enough capitol to make moves, and navigate the draft as needed, to not only get a future QB if they elect to do so, but also add quality pieces to an established young core. 

Future 1st's in 24, and 25' don't do that, that is too far out to project. If you really want to die on the hill of trading Burns do so, but no team ever got better jettisoning it's best players, hoping to draft better players. And if you look at the roster a ''tear'' down is not what's needed, we see what COMPETENT coaching has done as we look like a real NFL team with our 4th string QB....add a young talented QB there, on a rookie deal you can pay our young up and comers...Burns, and Brown. No one else is going to be in position to command a premium. 

Here is the thing about future picks, let's say that, so far, the front office isn't sold on any of the QB's in this years draft class and are looking ahead.  Let's also say that looking ahead to next years draft class they see 3 or 4 QB's that they believe has more potential than the current QB class.  Having that additional capital gives them room to negotiate.  Not saying I agree with that but my goodness (and this pains me to say as a Duke fan), a chance to get Maye would already be tickling my fancy.   Burns is a good player, and I really like him but being honest with where we are right now, the draft picks are more important than one particular player.

Tell burns to say he'll sign a long term deal with them AFTER the trade is finalized. Then he can inform them that he in fact had his fingers crossed. His fingers are now sore and he can't play for the rest of the year. Then he comes back to Carolina next year on a 7 year 7 million dollar deal because he is not greedy.  Its a win win

Edited by toldozer

Something to think about if we aren't picking the top 2 (which is doesn't seem like we will) then Stroud and Young are probably gone when we pick.  We could have a chance at a top pass rusher and then take Hooker/Dugan/Richardson/McCall with one of our second picks.  OR we could trade on of those future firsts to move up and select Stroud.  If gives more options and our cap will be WIDE open after this year....

The Rams are currently a 3-4 aging vet team without draft picks to get younger. They mortgaged their future for the SB run. Those first round picks in ‘24 and ‘25 could be incredibly valuable. I like Burns but I think the Rams are not looking like a future playoff team and those picks could both be top 15 picks, if not top 10. It would be a mistake not to take the deal. Maybe see if they’ll throw in a mid round pick this year just to give them even less to build a competent team with.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Fitt would pass on 2 1st rounders to hold onto a "young core" that hasn't done jacksh-t?

Come on, Fitt.

Use some common sense. 

The Rams are not going to be "all that" by the time 2024 and 2025 rolls around which would make those 2 1st rounders VERY valuable.

Plus, let's not forget we will have our OWN 1st rounder as well.

This is a tremendous opportunity here that I would be hard-pressed to pass on if I was Fitt.

3 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Yes those could be franchise QB draft picks. This is a once in a blue moon mega-deal. We do this and we're going to BEAST in the future.

Fitt has to do this deal.  We arent winning this year and we arent winning next year with a rookie qb.  The timeline works out perfect for us

• Pie 1