• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All aboard the Wilks Wagon

Zod

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Coaching success is a mixture of things.

First off, you have to be a leader. I don't think anybody doubts Wilks is that. Players respond to him like you hope players would.

The second thing you need is the mind of a chess master when it comes to strategy and planning. Does Wilks have that? Don't know.

But if he doesn't, he can make up for it by having a good eye for staffing. One of the reasons Sean McDermott has been so good is that he built a killer staff. Can Wilks do the same?

So basically, he's got the leadership part down. Whether he can also be the chess master or the staff builder is yet to be seen, but those things are necessary if he wants to be a winner.

True, the way it's playing out it seems like McDermott may have gotten more credit than deserved. The Josh Allen/Daboll connection was legit. Dorsey seems to be regressing to the Cam philosophy of running the guy into the ground if Diggs isn't open

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

That's why his staff choices should be critical in his interview for the full time gig. That would be one of the main boxes he would have to check if I were on the hiring committee. 

This is why I’d rather a young offensive mind as our HC. Say Wilks hires a good OC the way the league is they get scooped up to be HCs I don’t think the lad has the connections to keep bringing in quality OCs. But if we get the Offensive HC he can install his scheme through whoever OC they desire. I believe DC’s are easier to replace just get an old hard nosed ex HC to run the D 

Wilks Positives

Winning at home.  That's a good thing.  Getting PANTHER FANS back in the house.

Defense is playing lights out and keeping us in games.

Has the locker room.  Players believe in him and that goes a long way sometimes. Keeping him as our HC keeps continuity in the locker room.  

Wilks Negatives

Not very good at changing game plans when things don't go right.  Had zero answers for Cincinnati.  

Gotta win on the road to be a playoff caliber team.  So far we are 0fer. 

Not sure if he'd change offensive coordinators.

Bring in a New Head Coach. Positives

Most likely an offensive mind with imagination and can get the team to put up some points.

Fresh start after a crazy 2.5 years worth of Rhule.  Clean the closet.

Bring in a New Head Coach. Negatives

Could turn out to be a terrible hire and sets us back at least 2 years.

Bringing in a different type of offense and defense that requires players whose skill set is different than what we have on the roster.  Could be a total rebuild.

MY TAKE

First we need to forget about Wilks time in Arizona.  He was given a pretty rotten hand to play with.  He was never given time to build his team.  Arizona's management forced Rosen on him.  Arizona had their eye on Kingsbury and 3-13 was the perfect reason to dump him but not all Wilks's fault.

Keep Wilks.  He has the locker room and the team, IMO, love playing for him.  McAdoo run first offense is OK but struggles when defenses focus on stopping the run.  I would replace McAdoo with a good OC.  I would want an OC that can build a good staff that when he moves on as a HC his protege continues the same offense.  

I'm inclined to keep Fitterer and Fits need to continue to improve our trench players.  Offense and Defense.  While we can't completely focus on these positions.  Keeping our QB upright goes a long way in getting the best out of our QB and putting pressure on the QB for the defensive side of the ball.  Fits needs to find gems in the latter rounds.  

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Pie 2

19 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

Wilks has been admirable but he's a Ron Rivera type of coach. I think our defense is just very good which is masking how horrible the offense is. We need a bright offensive coach.

As much as we would like to say we hate Rivera.  He has WFT above .500 and pushing to make the playoffs with Taylor Heinke as their QB.  McDermott, from the same tree, has Buffalo as a top team.

You may not like the defensive side, but it does work.  Salah for the Jets in another positive for defensive head coaches.  

• Pie 3

I like that he is a hometown product, but he’s very much Rivera 2.0. He likes playing a ball control offense which is great as a game plan but not as a scheme, to me at least. I’d personally prefer an offensive minded coach who also calls plays, therefore if we get a good offense we won’t be in danger of losing anyone. 
however, if somehow he coaches the team into the playoffs this year I’m down. 

6 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

This is why I’d rather a young offensive mind as our HC. Say Wilks hires a good OC the way the league is they get scooped up to be HCs I don’t think the lad has the connections to keep bringing in quality OCs. But if we get the Offensive HC he can install his scheme through whoever OC they desire. I believe DC’s are easier to replace just get an old hard nosed ex HC to run the D 

Bringing in someone else's OC to be head coach and call the plays does not ensure he's a good head coach either. You guys fall for whatever offense is showing off and then say that coordinator is a genius and should be our head coach.  Such a childish way of looking at it. But I don't really care because we have no say in it and Tepper is like a child chasing the latest new fad.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

That would be court case material after him joining Flores action 

I don’t care for Payton, but giving Wilks another year to prove himself wouldn’t help his court case. The post was “if he sucks” then go get another coach. If he coaches well then he keeps his job.

Defensive coaches are a dime a dozen.  Wilks is that.  The landscape is littered with Steve Wilks caliber defensive coaches.  Dom Capers is still coaching for heavens sake!

In this league, creating and keeping an offensive identity is far more important than defense.   The only way to do that is to make sure your head coach is the one who is bringing that identity.  You need an offensive minded coach to set you up for long term success.

Wilks is clearly leading the team and bringing back the culture that fans know and love. The defense is playing well, the team as a whole seems galvanized, and they're finding ways to win or at least keep games close with the exception of the Bengals beatdown.

I wouldn't hate the hire. The big question mark for me is going to be the offense. Campen has earned his job as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilks bring over Cameron Turner from Arizona. Turner is a former QB/WR for The Citadel that was an assistant WR coach for the Panthers from 2015 - 2016 and the assistant QB coach in 2017. He followed Wilks out to Arizona as an offensive assistant (2018), assistant QB coach (2019), assistant QB coach + offensive assistant (2020), QB coach (2021), and is now the QB coach/co-passing game coordinator. He's also Norv Turner's nephew, Scott Turner's cousin. It would fit given Wilks' background in SD + CAR with Ron. 😮

Edited by Icege

Wilkes is playing with the players that Rhule brought in .  He needs a chance to get with Fitts to draft players that fit his style of play and given a full camp to get them ready .   He has the present players behind him and is bringing back the culture we need .  We only need a QB , DE, MLB and perhaps a WR . We can sprinkle in some linemen and a few free agents and we can make a run .  Keep pounding