• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bye bye Baker

TN05

5 minutes ago, mccjeff said:

I know everyone thinks it was a fake and pointless qb competition because obviously Baker was the starter. But apparently there should have been one and it looks like it should have been Sam that won. Or PJ. Save the heat. It was stupid.

I still think PJ Walker is the best QB on the roster.  I think he has been for 2 years.  Pedigree is what gives the others the opportunity.  And PJ Walker sucks.   Don't get it twisted.  But I think he is a better overall QB than Sam Darnold.  Not by a huge margin but I think overall he sees a field better and makes better reads.  I think he is better in the pocket too.  Obviously, he does some really dumb stuff with the ball too though.  PJ is a 3rd string NFL QB.  Which is what Sam is. 

• Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Randolph Panther said:

I couldnt believe how bad he was.  I thought he was fairly decent a couple of years back but he looks washed up now.

I agree. I’m shocked at how awful he was here. He looked like he was gonna be a really good QB a couple seasons ago. He will catch on as a backup but he has serious issues in his mechanics and is probably done as a legit QB. 

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

He was unfortunately as bad as I feared he was. 

Such a waste of time. 

Thank God the team is cutting his and moving on. 

It was a high-risk, high-reward wager by the Rhule regime that he'd return to form after his shoulder injury. And if his shoulder was pre-2021 shape, it would have paid off. Behind this line, 2019-2020 era Baker probably would have won games. But it's clear as day that shoulder injury is probably lasting. And that's why Rhule is in Nebraska today.

2 minutes ago, Captroop said:

It was a high-risk, high-reward wager by the Rhule regime that he'd return to form after his shoulder injury. And if his shoulder was pre-2021 shape, it would have paid off. Behind this line, 2019-2020 era Baker probably would have won games. But it's clear as day that shoulder injury is probably lasting. And that's why Rhule is in Nebraska today.

I wouldn't say it was high risk.  The trade was ultimately a 5th round draft pick to kick the tires on Baker.  Sam Darnold was a much higher risk move with the picks involved and the guaranteed salary this year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, lightsout said:

We're a clean slate for whoever the HC is.

Baker gone.

Darnold is a FA after the season.

PJ is a FA after the season.

Corral is the lone QB left. He's at worst a backup through his rookie deal.

Not a bad ask if a coach is hellbent on getting his guy at QB.

True, but we need at least one veteran.  Corral will be a redshirt rookie. I'm not sure Darnold is the guy or not and nobody is going after Walker. I think we bring PJ back for camp if for nothing else than an extra arm with some veteran presence.