• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Happy for Baker?

NAS

1 hour ago, amcoolio said:

Baker literally did this our first game and then sucked rest of the way. I don't know what you are guys are talking about. Most of you have the memory of a chihuahua

Beat me to it. As of now, don't have anything against Baker but he would've had a comeback win with us if it wasn't for the Browns kicker. Still think it's an indication about McAdoo plus the Raiders being masterful at choking away close games.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, firstdayfan said:

You do realize he got to LA on Tuesday right? What he did was unprecedented on an NFL level at the quarterback position. Look at the reactions from players and fans who watched the game, they know how truly special it was. I think you're sorta missing the point.

And I do agree that coaching played a huge role in Baker's performance. Anyone notice any batted balls? I watched most of the game, there were none that I saw. Thats because he was taking deep drops on a lot of play action fakes,  not quick pass RPOs.

Crosby batted one and the next play they ran a 7 step drop.

It’s all coaching.

• Beer 1

Just now, outlaw4 said:

Beat me to it. As of now, don't have anything against Baker but he would've had a comeback win with us if it wasn't for the Browns kicker. Still think it's an indication about McAdoo plus the Raiders being masterful at choking away close games.

He would have had a win, anyway, if our brilliant coaching staff had continued to play offense rather than settling for a FG to go up by a point with over a minute left.  That points us back to coaching, which cycles back to your last sentence.

Our players are starting to learn how to win games, but that coaching staff was never going to learn that same lesson.  I don't know if Rhule or McAdoo made that call (most likely Rhule since it is usually a HC's job), but neither exactly distinguished themselves here.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Tbe said:

Here’s the thing…even if you are a ‘defensive’ guy at HC, you still need abilities on the other side of the ball. See McDermot. 

Wilks clearly doesn’t have those abilities. That’s a bad situation when your team is desperate for a QB.

The guy isn’t even a great DC. Above average at best.

He’s a good leader, but he’s not an X’s and O’s guy who can get players playing above their individual abilities.

4 hours ago, Greatman77 said:

Two things can be true at the same time: You can be glad Baker played well, and glad he is gone from the Panthers. I am both.

I see your logic, and I guess that I could amend my support for Wilks with the caveat that he is able to recruit a young and upcoming offensive mind to be the OC and a great teacher as our QB coach.

You can't fairly judge him by keeping MacAdoo-doo on staff this year.  By the time Rhule was fired, the Panthers (according to many) were already stuck with him.

In my opinion, weather or not Wilks gets the full time hire will be dependent on who he can get committed to being part of his staff.  The modern NFL coach is more CEO than decision maker and is only as good as those who surround him.

My thought is that there are some really good pieces in play here.  Our O-line has improved vastly with Campen, our Special Teams coach is great, Al Holcomb had done very well at DC.  The public is showing more faith in the team post-Rhule.  At what point do you objectively weigh out how to continue to build on current success rather than basically start from scratch?