• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Happy for Baker?

NAS

12 minutes ago, Jacabee said:

It’s a fun story for a Thursday night game, particularly with the historically short turn around.

That said, Baker threw a game ending pick called back due to a senseless PI. Maybe it doesn’t get picked without the penalty but it’s likely at least deflected and goes to 4th and long. 

Then, he takes a 15 yard sack that should have kept the clock running at a 1 minute. Instead, Raiders linemen knocks the ball out of Baker’s hands giving Baker those yards back, a clock stoppage and fresh set of downs. 

I thought there was even a third, 5 yard penalty that gave the rams a new set of downs due to yardage after that but can’t recall the specifics. 

But for the Raiders discipline melting down, Baker’s performance this game would have felt very familiar. 

That’s all true, but Baker could barely get the ball pas the LOS here. He was slinging it and looking like a NFL QB last night. That is a drastic turn around just by the eye test.

IMO…that’s all on coaching and knowing how to use a player and adjust.

• Pie 4

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I hope he tears it up in LA. It improves our draft stock and hopefully will embarrass Tepper enough that he fires Ben McAdoo before the season is over.

McAdoo never asked to have Baker, was a bad fit as soon as we traded for Baker. McAdoo was hired on the premise that Sam Darnold would be the starter and maybe someone we drafted. Sam can actually run the offense and Baker was a complete disaster at it. 

• Poo 1

40 minutes ago, Tbe said:

That’s all true, but Baker could barely get the ball pas the LOS here. He was slinging it and looking like a NFL QB last night. That is a drastic turn around just by the eye test.

It's one game against a team that didn't know he was on the roster until 2 days before the game.  Let's see how he does when the other team has time to prepare for him.  Otherwise, it's the backup QB syndrome.

Edited by parker

46 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Baker was running McAdoo's/Rhule overly predictable RPO bullshit here way too much.   Wilks immediate came in and had McAdoo quit doing that all game. 

Baker was 54% under Rhule.  66% under Wilks.  That a pretty big difference. 

McAdoo is bad.  Having a real bad HC over McAdoo is a worst case scenario.  And it's still not going to be good with Wilks over McAdoo but Wilks at least knows NFL football. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, firstdayfan said:

And I do agree that coaching played a huge role in Baker's performance. Anyone notice any batted balls? I watched most of the game, there were none that I saw. Thats because he was taking deep drops on a lot of play action fakes,  not quick pass RPOs.

Maxx Crosby got one early in the third. That's about where I turned it off. But that doesn't take anything away from the amazing feat Baker accomplished or how well McVay had him prepared. 

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

No.  Wilkes should not get the full time gig.  He cannot fix the real problems here.  For a couple reasons. 

First off, defensive coaches are great to steady the ship and establish an identity.  Occasionally they will catch lightning in a bottle and put together a great run.  Overall there are many, many solid defensive coaches.  You can find tons of them.  Dom freaking Capers is still a quality NFL defensive mind.  Defense is easy to find and fix on the coaching side.

Secondly, if you want to succeed in the NFL today, you need a head coach who has a highly successful offensive background.  Not because you "need" that, but because if you bring in a coordinator who has any sort of success, he'll be gone in a year or two to be a head coach elsewhere.  If you want to sustain, your HC needs to be the offensive guy.

NFL teams are very in tune with this.  When you look at the guys who are being sought out for HC gigs, how many of them are "offensive" and how many are "defensive"?  It's just the way the league has gone.

Wilkes seems like a great guy, a great story.  I'm not saying he shouldn't be part of the staff.  Set aside all the feels.  The best way to have long term, sustainable success is to identify a quality offensive mind and make him your head coach.

It seems to me that most offensive minded coaches have at least tolerable defenses with tolerable-to-good offenses, whereas most defensive coaches have absolute sh*t offenses with pretty good defenses.