• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks Set This Team Back

It can always be worse. With a new coach there is just as much chance he is bad at it as he is good.

In less then 12 games Wilks has matched Rhules best yrs so why not see what he can do with his own coaches and players he wants. He has the city and the players behind him.. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Kentucky Panther said:

The context is important. During that run we knew we had a bright future at QB. We do not have that luxury now. I did not feel the same way I did when we had Cam. We always had a chance with Cam. But for the past three seasons we’ve been in QB purgatory. Sam Darnold leading us to a first round playoff exit was not changing that. 

At one point we were 3-8 and going nowhere. Until we won the last 4 we were going nowhere. And I don't remember thinking Cam was so great at that point. Cam had back and neck injuries from the car wreck and things we're not as rosy as you seem to remember.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, heel31ok said:

if we wanted to tank just keep rhule until end of season.

I thought firing Rhule was the right move. The way the team looked, I didn’t think they had a hope in the world for generating offense without McCaffrey. I did think we should have traded both McC and Burns for the tank, but tbh I thought trading McC would be enough to get us the #1 or #2 pick. With as low as my opinion was of him, I didn’t think it was possible to underestimate just how much Rhule was holding this team back. Boy was I wrong.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

At one point we were 3-8 and going nowhere. Until we won the last 4 we were going nowhere. And I don't remember thinking Cam was so great at that point. Cam had back and neck injuries from the car wreck and things we're not as rosy as you seem to remember.

you didnt think cam was a great qb 4 years into his career?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

37 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

The problem is not posters want the team to lose. Very clown thing to say. We are all posting on an internet message board to talk football. 

The problem is posters being completely fine with winning five or six games a year.  Doing just enough to not change things next season. Leading right up to the middle of the pack position we have been so accustomed to getting. I’m glad some of you enjoy it so much. Some of us recognize we need to try and change some things up instead of staying stuck in this wonderful cycle. 

Who said we are completely fine with it? It's always either or with you folks. 

Not a single fan is fine with only winning 5 games a season. Your narrow view of what everyone thinks is your own. Some of us actually want to see them win and the draft can be damned.

There are multiple paths to success. Your way is not the only way or the best way. It's obvious from the same teams always drafting at the top. 

How do the franchises that always draft at the end of each round maintain their dominance when they rarely draft higher than 20? Isn't it mandatory to do that to build a stronger team? It takes much more than that and draft position isn't one of them, especially if your FO and coaching staff suck.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I thought firing Rhule was the right move. The way the team looked, I didn’t think they had a hope in the world for generating offense without McCaffrey. I did think we should have traded both McC and Burns for the tank, but tbh I thought trading McC would be enough to get us the #1 or #2 pick. With as low as my opinion was of him, I didn’t think it was possible to underestimate just how much Rhule was holding this team back. Boy was I wrong.

I was pretty much with you when they shipped CMC off.  This was a team that looked like a complete fiasco. 

In the statement about how much Rhule held this team back is another aspect that needs to be factored in before saying "Wilks set this team back."  One of Rhule's major problems was not putting players in a position to succeed, either by playing them out of position or not playing them at all (generally in favor of those who were "OOU.") 

At least some of that has been corrected, and we have fewer situations where we think somebody ought to be pretty good, but have nothing to base it on.  More of our roster is now a known, either for better or worse.  Even if we thought they were pretty good and they have not shown it once given the chance, at least we have some idea.

Heading into FA and the draft not knowing how good the team is at various positions because the bonehead at the controls never bothered to find out is the worst of all worlds.  Just knowing more of those answers, for better or worse, makes it hard to say Wilks has set us back.  We may not be drafting 2nd or 3rd, but at least we have a better idea what we need to draft.

37 minutes ago, SurvivalSloth said:

Wilks was asked to take over the 1-4 clown show that Rhule put together over the course of 3 years and make the best of it. He made minimal staffing changes and still managed to restore our culture. 

I'm not sure how any of you can hold this season against him. To me, this is all still Rhule's fault. Wilks did a damn good job given the circumstances and should be given the opportunity to put his staff in place and build a roster to his liking.

Not unusual for an Interim HC to have some success after a HC was fired. It is what happens when the coach is given the full time job that the wheels fall off. 
If Wilks gets the job the most I can expect from him, given interim HC track record, is maybe a playoff appearance every once in a while but he will never make the Super Bowl. 
Guy is gonna get out coached by better coaches and I guarantee people will start complaining about Wilks the same way they complained about Rivera. Because they are the same coach. 

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Who said we are completely fine with it? It's always either or with you folks. 

Not a single fan is fine with only winning 5 games a season. Your narrow view of what everyone thinks is your own. Some of us actually want to see them win and the draft can be damned.

There are multiple paths to success. Your way is not the only way or the best way. It's obvious from the same teams always drafting at the top. 

How do the franchises that always draft at the end of each round maintain their dominance when they rarely draft higher than 20? Isn't it mandatory to do that to build a stronger team? It takes much more than that and draft position isn't one of them, especially if your FO and coaching staff suck.

I am just playing devils advocate as some of you guys beat your chests about being better fans because you think your line of thinking is far superior to anyone who thinks differently. If you aren’t fine with winning 5 games every year, not sure why there is such an issue with posters wanting the team to have a better draft pick. 

Teams that pick late in the draft already have solid pieces around their cornerstone players, particularly quarterback. We don’t have that. It’s much easier to put pieces around cornerstone players at key positions and stay relevant than trying to get those players at mid round picks. 

If we had a franchise QB it would be a different feeling. Like it or not, we have a better chance at getting a difference maker the earlier we pick. The AFC is considered the far superior conference at this point. All the good to great teams have drafted guys early in the first with the exception of Lamar, who still came in the first round. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Wilks did a good job and coached the players well that he had. It’s the front office that dropped the ball once they traded CMC they should have kept going with Burns and Moore. We needed to hit rock bottom to have a proper fresh start 

Edited by Aussie Tank
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

I am just playing devils advocate as some of you guys beat your chests about being better fans because you think your line of thinking is far superior to anyone who thinks differently. If you aren’t fine with winning 5 games every year, not sure why there is such an issue with posters wanting the team to have a better draft pick.

Again...who are these "guys" you are referring to?  

Teams that pick late in the draft already have solid pieces around their cornerstone players, particularly quarterback. We don’t have that. It’s much easier to put pieces around cornerstone players at key positions and stay relevant than trying to get those players at mid round picks. 

That's true but that's the reality of the situation thanks to Rhule and Tepper being a dumbass for hiring him. 

Now that he's gone, maybe we can get stuff going in the right direction for a change. 

Nowhere to go but up as we can't go any lower.  (i don't think so anyway)

If we had a franchise QB it would be a different feeling. Like it or not, we have a better chance at getting a difference maker the earlier we pick. The AFC is considered the far superior conference at this point. All the good to great teams have drafted guys early in the first with the exception of Lamar, who still came in the first round. 

Well like it or not, we're probably going to pick 9 (or 8 at best) unless something crazy happens. 🤷‍♂️

And I still am not closing the door on Corral who never really got an actual shot thus far to be that Franchise QB. 

He may not be but we won't know if we don't let him. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Again...who are these "guys" you are referring to?  

That's true but that's the reality of the situation thanks to Rhule and Tepper being a dumbass for hiring him. 

Now that he's gone, maybe we can get stuff going in the right direction for a change. 

Nowhere to go but up as we can't go any lower.  (i don't think so anyway)

Well like it or not, we're probably going to pick 9 (or 8 at best) unless something crazy happens. 🤷‍♂️

And I still am not closing the door on Corral who never really got an actual shot thus far to be that Franchise QB. 

He may not be but we won't know if we don't let him. 

I don’t disagree as far as Corral. I would like to see what he can do before we completely cut ties. I am also thankful we no longer have to deal with Rhule. 

I am not asking to ship everyone out for as many picks as possible. I don’t think a whole rebuild is necessary. We have some solid pieces. That said, I think it would be best to get an offensive minded coach and pair him with the rookie he prefers. Let’s go from there. I think Wilks had his chance and blew it. We need a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways, including getting away from conservative, defensive minded coaches that I feel like we’ve had since I started following the team. 

We’ve got some decent assets if we want to trade up. Not saying we should or have to. I think one of the top 3 QBs will still be available at 9. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I don't agree, by any means, with everything Wilks has done (in fact, I probably take more issue with off-the-field comments than some of the strategies), but saying "he blew it" isn't taking into account this very reasonable possibility: With Jaycee Horn and Donte Jackson out there Sunday instead of two pieces of burnt toast, that game's a win -- regardless of fourth-down decisions.

Whether that's enough to justify keeping him isn't up to me. 

• Pie 3

5 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

It's like we're fans of the team and want them to win games.  OH MY GOD! WHAT A SHOCK!

But I'll bite : Sure why not?

If some here don't desire to root for the team to win anymore, I'm sure there are plenty of other teams that they can latch onto. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/fca5f8343d5e151eec9f086213a99e9631041342c38fd104d3f1df356d4f8a92/1280/https://media2.giphy.com/media/BIZkwFtu2xDlS/200.gif

354167CD-C0A0-4909-87BF-9BC8C9E25E6A.gif

• Flames 1