• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith didn't make the HOF cut??

SHU

Players can be nominated by anyone and the HOF committee, all media people from the various NFL cities, elects the finalist...it's almost like some media people don't like Smith. I have no idea why...

This process is 100% subjective so we can drop the fair conversation because it really has no place in the HOF equation. SB wins matter, being respected by the media is necessary and stats are not the deciding factor in getting in. To me it looks like being respected and well-liked are the top factors to getting in. Sound familiar? 

Andre Johnson was a big problem but idk about over Steve Smith. Steve does have some baggage you must acknowledge but on the field you can't deny his ability. I wouldn't worry though 89 will get his shine it just might be further down the road.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

And next year, won't Julius Peppers be eligible? Which one gets the better speech on his behalf?

Peppers. He also put in years with GB and Chicago. He will be the first Panther inducted.

And it might just be why Smith is being made to wait. Sports is funny like that. 

• Pie 3

Other receivers can get stats-wins-rings, but none were like 89. He amassed his stats with mediocre quarterbacks on a run first team. He wasn’t just a speed WR, he did everything that was required of him (running crisp routes, blocking, winning jump balls, making catches) all at the height of 5’9 which no other receiver with his measurements have never come close to his tenacity. 

• Pie 2

Bullshit. What he did in his career without an elite QB throwing him the ball and always being in a run first offense is incredible. Dude should easily be a first ballot HoFer. Politics at play here, many around the league and media don't like the guy.

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Honestly both Torry Holt and Andre Johnson are head scratchers getting the nod over 89. I could make an argument against Reggie but his numbers are at least closer to 89. 

Reggie Wayne - 1070 Rec 14,345 Yards 82 TDS 6X Pro Bowl 1X All Pro 1 Super Bowl 

Andre Johnson - 1062 Rec 14,185 Yards 70 TDs 7X Pro Bowl 2X All Pro

Torry Holt - 920 Rec 13,382 Yards 74 TDs 7X Pro Bowl 1X All Pro 1 Super Bowl

Steve Smith - 1031 Rec 14,731 Yards 81 TDs 5X Pro Bowl 2X All Pro 1 NFL Receiving Triple Crown

I don't want to hear poo about Super Bowls with Calvin Johnson not only getting in but getting in 1st Ballot. Even if that was the reason then how do we justify Andre Johnson getting a nod over Smith? 

Are we going off pro bowl selections now? Is that or is it not a glorified popularity contest?

Obviously I'm a homer and I'm not going to pretend that I'm not... but trying to look at this objectively - It just doesn't make a ton of sense to me to be honest. 

When you include return yards and tds and rushing yards and TDs he widens his gap on tons of other guys.

Plus his blocking. The only contemporary in the run game to rival him was Hines Ward.

Hines and Steve were the two best blockers of his era.

• Pie 2

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Steve Smith had a longer career than any of the other 3 WRs, played more games, more receiving yards, 1 TD behind Reggie Wayne, 2 time AP Comeback Player of the Year and AP Offensive Player of the Year. 

The only reason I can imagine Wayne and Holt are listed before Smith is the fact they both have a SB ring.

image.thumb.png.a76c375483505966f518f15217103b52.png

And none of his kick or punt return stats are even mentioned in his HOF package. They aren't considered for WRs, although Devin Hester is listed as a WR/KR/PR in his HOF package.

Edited by Anybodyhome
  • Pie 2