• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breer on Wilks/Fitterer/Harbaugh

UNCrules2187

52 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Don't be surprised if we beat the Saints tomorrow the team playing inspired football winning the game for Steve Wilks 

Can't say I would be surprised. Half of the bums on this team know they wouldn't play for the other 31 NFL teams and are praying that Wilks stays so they have a job next year.

28 minutes ago, Growl said:

why would they even be playing starters tomorrow 

if a marquee player sustains a serious injury that threatens the start of next season just because they’re trying to win one for the gipper wilks should be punted on mere principle

Only if it's 4th and a foot.

If they play everyone and treat it like a playoff game, it indicates the team has NOT told Wilkes he has the job and he believes winning tomorrow is important to add to his resume.

If many of the stars sit, it would seem to indicate the opposite.

I'd kinda like to see the Harbaugh/Fitterer option.

3 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

• The Panthers-Saints game won’t draw a rating tomorrow, but how Carolina plays could impact the carousel. Interim coach Steve Wilks has done an admirable job, keeping his team in the playoff mix until Week 17, and owner David Tepper is conscious of the climate in his building—the locker room is solidly behind Wilks, who has enabled a reworked coaching staff to build a hard-edged identity behind a punishing run game over the second half of the year. If Wilks stays, it’d have to be with a detailed plan for the offense. The Panthers, after firing Matt Rhule, spent a good amount of time researching young offensive coaches, an indication on where Tepper was leaning with his search. Wilks could bring in someone such as Philadelphia QBs coach Brian Johnson—if he gets the job. I know Carolina people believe a good showing Sunday at New Orleans could well impact Wilks getting that shot.

As for Carolina GM Scott Fitterer, I’ve heard he’s been involved in laying groundwork for finding the next coach, so I think Tepper will keep him (I know he likes him) and his personnel staff, particularly if Wilks is the guy. That one scenario where I think there could be a new GM—if Tepper gets smitten with a coach like he did with Rhule in 2020, and that coach has leverage to push for his own GM.

• A couple other GM names connected to Harbaugh would be ex-Jaguars, Eagles and 49ers exec Tom Gamble, and Ravens director of football research Scott Cohen (or maybe someone from Baltimore’s personnel department such as Joe Hortiz). So … does Harbaugh leave Michigan? The program is in good shape, and he has a really good team coming back. But NCAA sanctions are looming, and those calls to the Panthers were made, I’m told, because of his curiosity over that job, which says to me he’s really thinking about it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/07/nfl-coaching-carousel-buzz-rumors-sean-payton-jim-harbaugh

I wish someone would address the fact that the defence has seriously regressed under Wilks. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

From the same article, re: Harbaugh..

Meanwhile, there’s an expectation that Broncos CEO Greg Penner’s first search as Denver boss will be focused on experienced names. He, and minority owner Condoleezza Rice, as well as Broncos icon John Elway, have connections to Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, and I’d expect Harbaugh to be in the mix for this one. Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is another obvious name to watch, given the job he’s done in Dallas, and his connections to both Paton and Wilson (Quinn was the Seahawks’ defensive coordinator for Wilson’s two Super Bowl seasons).

• Where Colts owner Jim Irsay goes with his search is anyone’s guess. But Harbaugh is a name to watch. Obviously, Harbaugh knows Irsay well, and played for him in the ’90s. Also, a guy who I think would be among Harbaugh’s picks for a GM—Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds—is already in Indy. So there are reasons why the fit there would make sense, with a roster that bares some similarities to the one Harbaugh had in San Francisco a decade ago. If it’s not Harbaugh, one name to keep an eye on is Bills defensive coordinator and former Colts assistant Leslie Frazier, particularly if, as is expected, Bill Polian and Tony Dungy help Irsay with the search. (I also can’t totally rule out Jeff Saturday sticking because of Irsay’s affection for his old center, though that seems unlikely.