• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

Y’all know we had an amazing cap outlook two-three years ago too right? Like the best we’ve seen since the looming lockout in 2010? Do you see how quickly that was destroyed AND for perennial 5 wins? Do you know how many teams spend that much and also have that low of wins? There’s only a few, and they’re trash.

This is what happens when your franchise is run by an idiot owner. Tepper hasn’t made like 95% awful moves except all of a sudden Fit was right. He is part of the bad decisions and needs to go. The best GM wasn’t miraculously already here lol. It’s not some weird miracle you all think happened.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 4

I will say this, the fact that Payton didn't just jump on the Denver job, makes me wonder. When we got Rhule, I think he had more interviews but they hammered out a deal. I think he does have legit interest in coming to Carolina but who knows. I really have no problem with any of Sean, Shane or Wilks being the coach. As long as the personel for each coach to succeed is pushed. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Lurk21 said:

I will say this, the fact that Payton didn't just jump on the Denver job, makes me wonder. When we got Rhule, I think he had more interviews but they hammered out a deal. I think he does have legit interest in coming to Carolina but who knows. I really have no problem with any of Sean, Shane or Wilks being the coach. As long as the personel for each coach to succeed is pushed. 

To be honest, I'd just like a Coach (any coach) to be hired so we can see where we're at as far as who the QB will be next season.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Lurk21 said:

Payton is a piece of poo but he's no idiot. He's looking for the right opportunity, not AN opportunity. I think Rhule went into his NFL candidacy with the cockiness that he can make it work anywhere. I mean, he's thinking if I can win at Temple and Baylor given those situations I can win anywhere, I'm just that damn good. What he forgot is that there aren't any "bad" teams in the NFL. That talent gap between the best team in the NFL and the worst team in the NFL is probably less than the talent gap between the #1 team in college football and the #10 team in college football (I mean, we all saw that national championship game) and Rhule couldn't beat any of the good teams in college. That's a problem in the NFL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4

The bottom line?  What do we know about Payton as a coach?  He had 1 year without Brees (2021) and that did not go well.  Payton really did not with Brees.  He used him well--but what did NO do with Winston?  Brees' first year in New Orleans was Payton's first as a coach--2006.  Brees left in 2020--Payton left in 2021.  He did not really develop Winston, but he sorta was creative with Taysom Hill (because he did not have a QB?) and since had a few NFL nomads like Teddy, Dalton, etc.

So Payton's career was directly tied to Drew Brees.  When Brees retired, Payton stayed for a season and got out.  His record was 152-89-0. 

So, aside from Bountygate, what do we really know about him?  He had a good GM.  Can Payton sail the ship with no Brees? (see what I did there?)  The more I dig, the more I think, "fool's gold"  (see, the Saints and their fans are fools and they have gold helmets.  I am on fire)

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

The bottom line?  What do we know about Payton as a coach?  He had 1 year without Brees (2021) and that did not go well.  Payton really did not with Brees.  He used him well--but what did NO do with Winston?  Brees' first year in New Orleans was Payton's first as a coach--2006.  Brees left in 2020--Payton left in 2021.  He did not really develop Winston, but he sorta was creative with Taysom Hill (because he did not have a QB?) and since had a few NFL nomads like Teddy, Dalton, etc.

So Payton's career was directly tied to Drew Brees.  When Brees retired, Payton stayed for a season and got out.  His record was 152-89-0. 

So, aside from Bountygate, what do we really know about him?  He had a good GM.  Can Payton sail the ship with no Brees? (see what I did there?)  The more I dig, the more I think, "fool's gold"  (see, the Saints and their fans are fools and they have gold helmets.  I am on fire)

That's a very valid point.  Without Drew Brees, I don't think Payton would've found much, if any, success in New Orleans. 

Drew Brees made Sean Payton.    Not the other way around.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

That's a very valid point.  Without Drew Brees, I don't think Payton would've found much, if any, success in New Orleans. 

just like how the great god of all coaching hasn’t done jack since Brady bailed on him.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I don't think it's ever that simple. Likely a bit of both. I mean, Brees was decent with the Chargers but nowhere near what he became with the Saints.

• Pie 2

32 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I’m glad someone else is at least thinking this. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

just like how the great god of all coaching hasn’t done jack since Brady bailed on him.

What? They made the playoffs last year and were a win away from making it this year. What more can you expect from a team that is rebuilding post losing their franchise QB?

I’d argue the Patriots have GREATLY out performed their talent level. Belichick the coach isn’t the problem, it is Belichick the GM (and the coaches he chooses to surround himself with) that is hurting them.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 1

39 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

It’s almost impossible to recreate the magic for any coach, whether it’s with the same team or not. I don’t expect SP will do it regardless of where he ends up.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1