• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trey Lance?

tukafan21

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You called him a bust after 3 games.  1 in which the offense was designed around him and that was in a monsoon in 6 inches of water.  Calling him a bust is borderline retarded.    Saying he has started 4 games and got hurt in the first is disingenuous at best.   Shannahan is clearly a top 5 coach in the nfl so I am going to side with him in these matters over some rando message board guy.   

I said he's probably a bust.

I mean, he probably is.

• The D 1

25 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Shannahan is clearly a top 5 coach in the nfl so I am going to side with him in these matters over some rando message board guy.   

If Shanahan decides he's a bust and they're better off going with Brock Purdy, will you side with him then, too?

Edited by Mr. Scot

4 hours ago, t96 said:

He has 4 career starts lol, you can’t judge his pro performance whatsoever. And he’s 22 years old. 

I would give up a 3rd not much more though. Maybe 2023 3rd and 2024 4th or something. And ideally the 3rd being their pick back not ours

Yeah, I don't know what Scot is talking about there. Perhaps he's putting too much stock into conflicting unsubstantiated rumors

I don't believe the 49ers are ready to give up on Lance, but if they do that should be a big red flag to other teams.  Especially considering the number of high draft picks (3) San Francisco gave up to get him. 

Also, Lance isn't likely to find a better situation to develop his game than he has with the 49ers.  If he can't make it there, chances are he can't make it anywhere.

• Beer 1

Trey Lance has had a complete season to learn from one of the best offensive minds in the league.  When given the opportunity to show something he looked abysmal.  The Niners whole season changed when he went down. 

Corral got two preseason games from a coach that gave him absolutely nothing to work with.  This includes no valuable Reps the entire training camp and preseason and an offensive line that couldn't beat a mediocre college team. 

Yet many of you would trade away more valuable picks instead of giving Corral a chance.

Only morons would trade away picks for a QB that is trending towards one of the all time greatest busts. (value wise)

Trading a picK for Jordan Love or Lance may be realistic.  These are young high upside players who haven’t had much of an opportunity yet.  It‘s a gamble but unless you sign a Vet who hits the market (which is rare) it’s always a gamble.  I prefer Love to Lance personally.  Again this all comes down to the draft and if the Panthers think they can secure the QB they want. A rookie signal caller should be priority number 1.  I also don’t see much difference in Lance and drafting Richardson for example.  Two high upside athletic players.

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're still trading for his college potential at this point because his pro performance has been... disappointing (and that's being kind).

Especially true when a seventh round afterthought is doing in his rookie season what Lance hasn't been able to do being a focal point for two years.

So no, I wouldn't.

He wasn't a final point for two years...he sat behind Jimmy as a rookie, then got hurt in like his 2nd or 3rd game this year. 

Considering the investment they made, I doubt they move him for low IF they even consider it. 

If he scratches his potential THAT team they'll be even better until they have to pay him.

Now if they believe in Brock who has more time left on a rookie deal and is cheaper then they could bolster the roster with additional picks. But I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd. 

LOL @ the WayneBobby's on here offering up a 4th only for a 22 year old 3rd overall pick who looked promising when playing but got caught with injury flukes, yet rejoiced when we took a clear draft bust in Darnold for a 2nd, 4th and 6th

The 49ers have both Lance and Purdy on rookie contracts, they are not in a hurry to just hand away Lance

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Trey Lance has had a complete season to learn from one of the best offensive minds in the league.  When given the opportunity to show something he looked abysmal.  The Niners whole season changed when he went down. 

Corral got two preseason games from a coach that gave him absolutely nothing to work with.  This includes no valuable Reps the entire training camp and preseason and an offensive line that couldn't beat a mediocre college team. 

Yet many of you would trade away more valuable picks instead of giving Corral a chance.

Only morons would trade away picks for a QB that is trending towards one of the all time greatest busts. (value wise)

I disagree about Lance looking "abysmal." I think that's way over the top. Lance was way more raw, younger, and simply less experienced than most QBs when he entered the NFL. And yet, one of the brightest minds in the game gave up a king's ransom to acquire him. That's because he sees a lot of potential---maybe unmatched potential in the kid. And, just like Corral, Lance really hasn't had hardly any opportunity to show what he has. What, a couple of regular season games? Are y'all kidding me? Seriously? 

All that being said, the 49ers will never get the compensation back that they spent to acquire him (nor should they) if they put him on the trade block. If they decide to trade him, it will be more about Brock Purdy's surprising---some might even say sensational--ascension than Lance being or "trending towards being" a bust. Shanahan has supported Lance consistently and completely, and has honestly refuted any unsubstantiated rumors about Lance being unfit for the job. As far as that goes, I think that he still believes in him, but he likely believes in Purdy now also.

So, if they decide to trade Lance, it will not be about Lance being a bust, but for any suitors it will be about the compensation. Just like any young QB with upside, if you can get Lance for a relative song and dance---basically at a value, then you should probably do that. The Devil is in the details.