• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those who ARE interested in Sean Payton...

t96

I would give up a 2nd this year, 3rd would be ideal.

If it's gonna cost a first, I'd do next years first and pray to God that it makes Carolina an attractive enough destination to ball out and free agency / trade for players / go full on F them picks mode and get a Lombardi in the next 3 years.

I'm sick of losing man. I wanna watch my team kicking ass in January and being a super bowl team again.

I'm good on drafting another Horn, Brown, Vernon Butler or some shid.

• Pie 4

27 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No coach who's won a Super Bowl with one team has ever won another with a new team.

Most don't even get back.

y’all kill me. Why is this even relevant to a bottom dwelling team? We are just tying to have a winning season and god forbid back to back winning season. Payton could come here and rebuild the roster, culture, go to the playoffs a few times in a five year contract and I’d consider it a success.

Some of you still think we are the verge team despite have the worst record in the entire nfl over the last half decade lol

obviously a Super Bowl is the ultimate goal but there just because a coach is promoted doesn’t mean they’ll make it either

• Pie 8

I’ll go ahead and take the huddle mob on here for our moral high ground fans that are so full of poo it’s coming out of their ears. Couple thoughts here:

1) to those saying you won’t cheer for the panthers if Payton is hired, yes you will. This is the same as the mountain of fans claiming they’d never watch again during the Kaepernick era. They were watching 3 days later. You’ll be watching and cheering just as you always did so save us the nauseating grandstanding. 

2) Bountygate is disgusting and maybe Sean Payton and Gregg Williams should be banned for life, but they aren’t. Game 1 of 2016 the Broncos were actively trying to decapitate Cam and they thought it was the greatest thing ever. Now obviously coaches didn’t get caught paying players to do that, but if you think the coaches weren’t all for it then I have oceanfront property to sell you in Kansas. Are we actively boycotting Gary Kubiak and that entire staff as well? Because boy oh boy did that affect the future of our franchise and the longevity of our franchise QBs health.

3) the whole argument of “no coach has won a Super Bowl for 2 different teams” is true, but doesn’t paint a full picture. Many coaches have gone to super bowls with 2 different teams and actually *improved* with their second team. Anyone ever heard of Andy Reid, Dick Vermeil, and Don Shula? Yeah, they did ok. 

3) Let’s compare to another retread hire that 95% of this board mocked when the panthers hired rhule, Mike McCarthy. How are things going in Dallas? A hell of a lot better than Carolina.

People on this board are just following the group think. Payton would be the best hire we could make outside of Harbaugh, another PROVEN, winner. We would be competing in the playoffs every year and a competent franchise again. To answer OPs question they could have a 2nd in this draft, but absolutely not our 1st. If they pushed hard for a 1st it would have to be in 2024 or later. 

And I’m a huge Ben Johnson guy. However known commodity >>>>> unknown commodity every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Payton may make you feel a certain type of way inside but he’d make this franchise competitive and relevant again. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, onmyown said:

y’all kill me. Why is this even relevant to a bottom dwelling team? We are just tying to have a winning season and god forbid back to back winning season. Payton could come here and rebuild the roster, culture, go to the playoffs a few times in a five year contract and I’d consider it a success.

Some of you still think we are the verge team despite have the worst record in the entire nfl over the last half decade lol

obviously a Super Bowl is the ultimate goal but there just because a coach is promoted doesn’t mean they’ll make it either

Because people have a tendency to think getting a Super Bowl winning coach guarantees winning.

It doesn't.

Winning a championship is an extremely difficult thing that requires a lot of things come together and go right.

Lots of guys try to recreate those winning situations in a new place...and pretty much always fail.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I get what you are saying…but Gruden did win a SB after being traded to TB.  

Guys who failed to win it in their first job have a decent record.

Guys who won it and then tried to get back have all been shut out.

Also worth remembering that the circumstances where Payton made the Super Bowl included a bounty system.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Guys who failed to win it in their first job have a decent record.

Guys who won it and then tried to get back have all been shut out.

Winning a SB is ridiculously hard.  Plenty of coaches have taken 2 diff teams to the SB.   Winning it is just hard in general.  Getting there is hard enough…

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

No Panthers coach has ever won a SB with the Panthers. 

Said it earlier but it applies here...

There's always some unicorn, generally a head coach or a quarterback, who fans latch on to thinking "if we just get this guy, we're guaranteed to win it all".

It's never that simple, and a good number of those guys wind up going somewhere else and failing.

• Beer 1

Like I said in the other thread ... how many head coaches have made it to a SB? How many have won? Now ... how many head coaches have there been in the SB era? Payton is in rare company. It's very hard to get to a SB.

That said, I do not want whatever QB is sitting there at #9. I do not want to lose multiple 1sts in order to get Stroud. But I'm ok with losing #9 to get an elite coach. Giving them the 9ers picks is better but I don't see the Aints doing that.

Curious as to why folks didn't want Mike McCarthy off the street last time around but do want Payton at the cost of draft assets this time?

McCarthy: 155-96-2 (.617) regular season record, 10-9 (.526) playoff record, 1 SB win, 4 NFCCG appearances

Payton: 152-89 (.631) regular season record, 9-8 (.529) playoff record, 1 SB win, 3 NFCCG appearances 

• Pie 1