• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

People seem to be sleeping on Mike Kafka as a candidate

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

https://theathletic.com/4104453/2023/01/19/giants-mike-kafka-nfl-head-coach-candidate/

Good read if you have a subscription.

Steichen was my original pick as HC before the offseason kicked off, but now he's giving me Norv Turner vibes. Nothing wrong with that, but seems he'd make a better OC than HC. Then Ben Johnson showed up and I fell in love with his scheme and how he was able to get the best out of his players. But he pulled out so that dream died.

Enter Kafka. Almost seems like he's being mentioned as a throwaway, but his resume and what people say about him has me intrigued.

• Dude is apparently a born coach and beloved everywhere he goes.
  • Super smart guy.
  • Helped develop Mahomes in KC
  • Realized he had a cap in terms of potential with KC so struck out on his own to use what he learned to further his career not under Reid's shadow.
  • Lead the NYG to a top 10 offense in his first year as OC using scrap parts of their roster.
  • Creative playcaller/designer that puts his players in positions to succeed, doesn't force them to execute a plan that highlights their own weaknesses.

I hope he interviews well. He's making his way up to the top of my list. 

And Jones most likely will be hitting Free Agency. 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Get Kafka or stechin and call it a day

assuming they interview well which it sounds like is kafkas specialty 

I agree. Get one of those and let them pick their QB (draft) and try to acquire said QB without throwing away too many picks.

• Pie 2

Kafka could always tell when the Wildcats’ offensive line needed a jolt. Initially a backup at Northwestern, after each series, he would watch his teammates’ faces as they walked off the field.

“I knew when I was a starter, I was always going to walk off with them backwards so that they would see my face,” Kafka said. “I thought that was so critical that they weren’t going to walk off the field, rolling their eyes, looking down at the ground, heads down moping. I wanted to make sure whatever happened, good or bad, when they came off the field, I was coming off with them, like we were looking each other in the eyes.”

Kafka threw a perfect pass to a wide open receiver. It was a sure touchdown — until the receiver dropped the ball.

Before the kid could get worked up, Kafka, who was already running thanks to the rollout, was at his side, encouraging him: “Come on, pick yourself up. Let’s go. We got the next play.”

“You can have all the athletic talent in the world and you can work as hard as he did,” Kuska said. “But to have that intangible of knowing when guys need to be picked up and not doing it just because people are watching. We needed that to be done, and he did it.”

https://theathletic.com/4104453/2023/01/19/giants-mike-kafka-nfl-head-coach-candidate/

Good instincts and people skills.  Good to have in a coach.

• Pie 7

57 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The search started with 3 really good options for a first time HC from an OC. Now it's 2. I'm happy with either one of those guys, they all have upside.

Doresy is the only one that I am not sold on.

It's still 3, with Dorsey being the 4th.

Steichen, Moore and Kafka.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Good read if you have a subscription.

Steichen was my original pick as HC before the offseason kicked off, but now he's giving me Norv Turner vibes. Nothing wrong with that, but seems he'd make a better OC than HC. Then Ben Johnson showed up and I fell in love with his scheme and how he was able to get the best out of his players. But he pulled out so that dream died.

Enter Kafka. Almost seems like he's being mentioned as a throwaway, but his resume and what people say about him has me intrigued.

• Dude is apparently a born coach and beloved everywhere he goes.
  • Super smart guy.
  • Helped develop Mahomes in KC
  • Realized he had a cap in terms of potential with KC so struck out on his own to use what he learned to further his career not under Reid's shadow.
  • Lead the NYG to a top 10 offense in his first year as OC using scrap parts of their roster.
  • Creative playcaller/designer that puts his players in positions to succeed, doesn't force them to execute a plan that highlights their own weaknesses.

I hope he interviews well. He's making his way up to the top of my list. 

Thanks for the good article. Now we wait to see how it all plays out!

55 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Want some literary irony?  Franz Kafka was a German-speaking Bohemian writer who is famous for his novella, "The Metamorphosis."  Metamorphosis means to transition from immaturity to maturity. 

I used to teach English Lit back in the day. 

Discuss.

I recognized the name Kafka from some distant place in my brain. Thought he was one of those guys I forgot about from psychology.  
Thanks for the mindful interlude. 

This was the guy I wanted after Johnson, but the more I learn it may be an even better fit. He has been around some of the best in terms of building the right chemistry too. Reid and Daboll both have their teams heart. Like someone else mentioned, Reid and Daboll also have the best offenses over the last few years. 

Get him in here Tepper!