• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Coach Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ricky Spanish

My preference has shifted to a Wilks/Reich/Fangio combo. Tell Wilks he can have the job, but Holcomb has to go.

I like the idea of Payton, but I like the thought of getting our future franchise QB more. That may take a trade up, which will be hindered by giving away picks for SP. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 2

6 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Wilks was 6-6 my man.

I don't understand the Wilks hate on this board.

Going .500 with this roster was pretty much the best we could hope giving the circumstances.

Are any of those other coaches doing any better with Sam Darnold leading the charge?

Congrats he went .500. He is mediocre. We can do better. I don’t understand Wilks love from people like you so the feeling is mutual. 
But some people love mediocrity and love supporting mediocre coaches. 
Weird, and kinda dumb, hill to die on. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, TLGPanthersFan said:

Congrats he went .500. He is mediocre. We can do better. I don’t understand Wilks love from people like you so the feeling is mutual. 
But some people love mediocrity and love supporting mediocre coaches. 
Weird, and kinda dumb, hill to die on. 

To be fair, he went 500 with somebody else's roster, scheme and coaching staff.

Wilks isn't my top choice either, but what he did should be acknowledged as an accomplishment.

• Pie 2

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Wilks isn't my top choice either, but what he did should be acknowledged as an accomplishment.

But he shouldn't get the job because of it. Does no one look at the success of past interim HC. Only one has ANY semblance of success and that was Jeff Fisher back in the 90s. 
The failure rate of interim HC being made into permanent HC is about as high as college coach failure rate. 
Wilks is likely not the exception.
Hiring Wilks is essentially Tepper doing the same damn thing he did with Rhule. Hoping that Wilks can be the exception. I hope Tepper realizes that. 
If we hire Wilks it will be because every other coach dropped out. 
Wilks is not the best chance this team has a sustained success. At best it is sustained mediocrity. 

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

My preference has shifted to a Wilks/Reich/Fangio combo. Tell Wilks he can have the job, but Holcomb has to go.

I like the idea of Payton, but I like the thought of getting our future franchise QB more. That may take a trade up, which will be hindered by giving away picks for SP. 

If we pick Wilks, we will be right back here in 2 years. Looking for a new coach, QB, and GM. The guy is a coordinator at best. No other interviews for him for HC or coordinator roles. That is very telling. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

38 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Can this please be the last interview of the “first” round? We’ve seen interviewed everyone and their mothers at this point. Hopefully we have it pretty narrowed down after this. 

Tepper still has to interview the local dog catcher, the Pope, and @kungfoodudestill.  😉

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

If we pick Wilks, we will be right back here in 2 years. Looking for a new coach, QB, and GM. The guy is a coordinator at best. No other interviews for him for HC or coordinator roles. That is very telling. 

With those 2 coordinators, he just needs to “lead men”. Look, I’d prefer Payton, but not at the cost.Steichen is a maybe, but far from a guarantee. It’s a tough decision. Any of these young OCs are unproven as leaders of an entire team. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

As things Currently stand, we have interviewed the following:

• Steve Wilks
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Frank Reich
  • Sean Payton
  • Shane Steichen
  • Ken Dorsey
  • Mike Kafka
  • Ejiro Evero

The following have spurned us and we are now big mad at them:

• Ben Johnson
  • Demeco Ryans
  • Jerrod Mayo

We have requested interviews with the following but they have not happened yet:

• Kellen Moore (Scheduled Tuesday)

A Summary of the first thread:

• Fit said it would be a small pool of candidates*
    • *It was not a small pool of candidates
  • Wilks interviewed first and no one knows for sure who he would hire as OC but Holcomb would stay as DC
  • We requested interviews from damn near everyone with a pulse who is a young up and coming OC
  • Ben Johnson, local hero, decided Detroit is better and will stay with the lions next year
    • Fanbase had a collected sad about this and now Ben Johnson sucks.
  • Harbaugh used us to get more money from Michigan
    • rippadon is big mad. Loves Harbaugh almost as much as Carson Strong
  • Wildcard Weekend happens
    • Stock up: Kafka, Ryans, Moore
    • Stock Down: Dorsey
    • No Change: Wilks, Reich, Caldwell
  • Sean Payton has entered the chat
    • Fanbase divided. Lines in sand are drawn. Buttholes across the fanbase pucker to the same shape as the one on Payton's face.
    • Speculation about speculating speculators regarding us hiring him.
    • We would have to give up more draft capital to get him than any other team since we are within the division
  • We interviewed some seasoned candidates like Vic Fangio to be the DC in the event we hire a young OC to be the next HC
    • Fanbase is collectively OK with this.
  • Tragic death of Anton Walkes of Charlotte FC temporarily pauses the search over the weekend
    • Props are given to Tepper for doing the right thing
  • Division Weekend happens
    • Stock up: Steichen, Ryans, Payton
    • Stock Down: Moore, Dorsey, Kafka
  • No change: Wilks, Caldwell, Reich
  • Broncos seem to really want Payton too. Payton is weighing his options between all available openings because he can.
  • Round two of interviews would happen next week.

A shorter summary of the search:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/b886b8c29d828b1b95cef1903547517e8f23f8d89086d34580b9ef2e329ede05/1280/https://media2.giphy.com/media/9SJazLPHLS8roFZMwZ/200.gif

Link to the last thread:

Please keep the discussions about the potential coaches, hirings, rumblings, stumblings, and bumblings.

Tweet Explaining the timeline of what can happen next:

Oh I didn't even realize you were a moderator until I saw you lock the old thread. I didn't realize you were because you are not a douche rocket like some other ones. You now my my vote for head super moderator president of the board of moderators guy.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

The fact that no one else wants Wilks is the biggest red flag to me. The fact that people know that and still vouch for him is insanity 

There are many successful coaches who were not popular. The Eagles current head coach is an example. 

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Don’t forget with a chance to win the division (as terrible as it was) and make the playoffs. With this roster. After the horrendous start to the season and the most important position in flux. And surviving Rhule.  I too am slowly coming around to the idea of Wilks with a top-flight OC and better DC. Not my top choice but they don’t pay me to make these decisions.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1