• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interview Thread IV: A New Hope

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, Mage said:

I mean... Reich's resume is pretty damn strong man.  Instrumental in the Philly offense that won the Super Bowl.  4 top 10 scoring offenses in the last 6 years.  Great staff builder.  Numerous connections throughout the league.  

Ben Johnson was my #1 choice and even I'd say Reich has a stronger resume than him.  With Johnson, you are mostly projecting.

I personally like what Steichen has done lately but Reich feels like he was doing similar things for QBs before Steichen.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

why is this team consistently at the mercy of who manages to buddy it up with businessman outsider Dave tepper in the interview and not the individual with the strongest on field resume’

i honestly dont know if thats much different than a DC walking into jerry richardsons office and telling him that the panthers will play 1970s steelers football

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

why is this team consistently at the mercy of who manages to buddy it up with businessman outsider Dave tepper in the interview and not the individual with the strongest on field resume’

Reich has an extremely strong resume, tho. Outside of Payton, the strongest overall in terms of experience with an offensive focus.  Plus he has worked some QB magic at times, too. 

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

I'll admit that if Reich is the hire, it's not sexy or overwhelming. I was in the Ben Johnson or Shane Steichen camp (really moreso I was all in on Ben Johnson but he took himself out of the running - we'll see if that was smart or a mistake a la Leftwich passing on Jacksonville last year).

But I do think Reich is well positioned to turn this team around quickly and I think he can be a successful HC. I like that no matter who is QB is, he is aggressive on offense (article here: https://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/26647/win-or-lose-colts-coach-frank-reichs-aggressiveness-on-fourth-down-is-here-to-stay). I like that he's spent his time around great QBs in Manning and Rivers and helped prepare both Wentz and Foles to career heights while in Philly. I think he would be great for a rookie QB (I'm hoping that rookie is CJ Stroud honestly). It's not the hot shot OC route, but I think between experience and his chops on the offensive side, it'll be a pretty good hire.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

i truly underestimated how damn stupid david tepper truly is. i went from thinking there was no shot wilks could be the choice, to now ill be pretty surprised if he isnt. this is going to be a dark day in panthers history. we are going begging for the george seifert days after we get done with the wilks era, which i will guarantee will not last more than 3 years. 

my new prediction is that the panthers will not be in charlotte in 15 years. tepper has zero respect for the fans. zero connection to the city. and we are about to see this fan base disappear like weve never seen before. you cant go from rhule to wilks. the smart fans wont pay and wont show up. this will give him more ammo to move the team. 

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Growl said:

People don't want to hear it but you are on the money with this in regards to Tepper’s process. Though at least with Reich we will see emphasis on the offense.

• Beer 1