• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich’s description of a QB: It’s basically Corral

Wundrbread33

First things first. I am for drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. We need to get QB figured out. 

Now; people will throw poo at me for this, but the type of quarterback play Reich talked about (movement, RPO “the way the game is going”, etc)…we have a perfect fit on the roster in Corral.

I know the “pReSeAsOn” argument, which has been argued to death, but he displayed everything Reich mentioned in the presser in spades on his college tape. 

If they think they can teach Richardson to throw, I wouldn’t mind adding him, potentially without giving up next years 1st and every 2nd round pick for the near future. 

But I’m confident Corral will be in the mix if what Reich described is what he indeed wants in the position. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 3

Corral is under contract so he will certainly be here, but his greatest weakness was processing the field due to the simplicity of what he was asked to do at Ole Miss and I highly doubt an injury season has changed that.  He certainly has desirable traits and this is not to say he can't put it together as a pro but if I'm a betting man, Corral is going to be QB3 going into 2023.

I’d love for it to work out but all the positives he showed at ole miss didn’t seem to translate. He looked slow, inaccurate, and avg arm strength at best. Maybe a season of NFL weight training and coaching can get something out of him 🤷‍♂️

His issue is he ended one season hurt in college, folks questioned his durability and then he got hurt in his first real action in the pros and got out out for the whole season. Talent is great but if it’s not on the field it sucks. We’ve seen that with CMC and Horn. He needs to bulk up some for starters. 

• Pie 3

College tape is irrelevant.  Zak Wilson had great college tape.  Kyle Trask had great college tape.  Etc.

I'm sure Corral will get his chance, but I'll be shocked if he ends up starting next September.  I certainly wouldn't stake my season on Matt Corral as QB1 were I the head coach or GM.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

I'll say this...  I am almost certain we are drafting a QB, but if there is anyone that can help Corral develop and become the guy against all odds (1st round QB competition, injury, old coach's draft pick) it's Reich.  Corral can possibly develop into a backup turned starter and that's something Reich is pretty familiar with.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

We know next to nothing about Corral right now.  Yes, he looked awful last preseason, but caveat that with "under the stewardship of The Process."  That moron treated him as a red-shirt freshman......and he may not have been OOU.......and, if he had worked out we may have had to part company with PJ Walker, who is OOU.

Corral's chances of finding his footing in the NFL and becoming a viable starter are not great.  But, they are exponentially better under Reich than they were The Process. 

None of that means we should not be drafting somebody early (and maybe often) and looking at a cheap journeyman to fill out the QB room. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2