• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The QB School : Breaking down AR and Levis

12 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

The Bust potential is just as high (possibly higher) for CJ Stroud. Ohio State has never has a QB from their school even make a Pro Bowl in almost 70 years. Yet, a lot of people are so enamored with him that they believe we should give away multiple high draft picks in multiple years to move up to the #1 or #2 spot in the draft.

No curse was placed on Ohio state. If you think the logo matters then you believe in magic.

Scout the player. Don’t believe in football wives tales.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

And that’s why you never scout the Helmet and scout the player.

Texas Tech and LSU had a Amazing history with NFL QBs before the 2 guys in the NFL now did they?  

KC traded to move up and get Mahomes at #10, but they were a playoff team before Patrick arrived with Alex Smith as QB.  They could afford to part with the drafts because:

a) they didn't have to move all the way up to #1 or #2 which would have been a lot more expensive.

b) they were already a playoff team without him as previously stated. Mahomes had the luxury of sitting on the bench his rookie year.

The Bengals didn't have to move up to get Burrow. They had the #1 pick in 2020. They were also able to get Tee Higgins in round 2 the same year. The next season they added Jamar Chase in the 1st round. They may have the best 1-2 punch in terms of young WR's (under 25) in the NFL. They wouldn't have been able to do that if they had traded up from a lower number spot in the top 10 to get Burrow and parted with next year's # 1 as a result.

If the team is solid, I'm all for moving up and getting your guy (like KC). When you have holes that could be filled with those high draft choice, keep adding talent and depth to roster so any QB who comes along (trade, draft, or FA) has the tools on the roster to succeed.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

As I recall, most pundits were not overly kind to cam Newton either 

Some things can be taught, some can’t 

I want someone who shines under the bright lights, not shrinks 

if ever there was a shrinker besides Blaine Gabbert, the player many wanted the Panthers to take over Newton, it’s Will Levi’s   IMHO 

It’s going to be Stroud or bust for us I think.

The right move is probably to not draft a QB this year (unless one falls or trading is cheap) and give Corral a legit shot, but I don’t see this FO doing that. 

Edited by Tbe
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I'm not particularly impressed with either. I'd rather trade for Justin Fields than take either of these two, and I didn't like Fields during that draft either. Certainly not AR at 9, it would have to be a trade down and "oh look, he's still there" type of scenario

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

I'm not particularly impressed with either. I'd rather trade for Justin Fields than take either of these two, and I didn't like Fields during that draft either. Certainly not AR at 9, it would have to be a trade down and "oh look, he's still there" type of scenario

I don't buy into the Justin Field hype. He makes big plays with his legs. That's about it. He isn't a great passer and gets hurt too much. The latter is really bad for a QB that is more dangerous with his legs than his ability to throw from the pocket. I'd be hesitant to give up anything for him unless it was 3rd round pick  or lower. 

I will say that he's had the misfortune of playing for a bad franchise in terms of QB play and offensive coaching. Our team is better in terms of depth which would help him.  A coach like Frank Reich would surely make him better .But I don't think adding him makes us a championship contender overnight. He'd need a couple of years to really learn how to play within the pocket use his legs as a 2nd, not 1st, option.

They've all got flaws. Here's a predraft breakdown of a QB every single one of you would beg us to draft if you knew then what you know now.

Now come the issues, and there are plenty.

1. Anticipation/Instincts

This is the biggest concern by far. There are numerous examples where [redacted] doesn’t pull the trigger when he should or his instincts kick in too late.

2. Flat-out misses

[redacted ] just misses on a ton of throws. 

3. Locks on to one read and doesn’t come off

There are times when [redacted ] locks on to a route before the snap, and he’s throwing there, even if someone else is open.

4. Footwork issues

It’s clear to see [redacted]'s long frame sometimes leads to poor footwork in the pocket.

Take a guess?

Justin Herbert.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

KC traded to move up and get Mahomes at #10, but they were a playoff team before Patrick arrived with Alex Smith as QB.  They could afford to part with the drafts because:

a) they didn't have to move all the way up to #1 or #2 which would have been a lot more expensive.

b) they were already a playoff team without him as previously stated. Mahomes had the luxury of sitting on the bench his rookie year.

The Bengals didn't have to move up to get Burrow. They had the #1 pick in 2020. They were also able to get Tee Higgins in round 2 the same year. The next season they added Jamar Chase in the 1st round. They may have the best 1-2 punch in terms of young WR's (under 25) in the NFL. They wouldn't have been able to do that if they had traded up from a lower number spot in the top 10 to get Burrow and parted with next year's # 1 as a result.

If the team is solid, I'm all for moving up and getting your guy (like KC). When you have holes that could be filled with those high draft choice, keep adding talent and depth to roster so any QB who comes along (trade, draft, or FA) has the tools on the roster to succeed.

This team would’ve ’made  the playoffs with a Alex Smith level QB this year too. Especially in this weak azz division.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, trueblade said:

They've all got flaws. Here's a predraft breakdown of a QB every single one of you would beg us to draft if you knew then what you know now.

Take a guess?

Justin Herbert.

I'm pretty sure Herbert would be above Levis and AR if they were in the same draft. I remember his biggest knock was "Not fiery enough" "Not a leader" kinda stuff. 

• Pie 2

32 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Aaron Rodgers was expecting to be drafted early but ended up falling right into the Packers lap. Lamar Jackson went to the Ravens late. After the whole Manning/Rivers draft drama, Steelers still got Big Ben with the 11th pick. Obviously, the team needs to do their homework on all prospects but there's always that risk of grabbing someone for the sake of doing it. There has to be contingencies of grabbing someone else without giving up everything, especially with our current draft position.

• Flames 1