• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What exactly happened to Cam's shoulder? I remember with Jake it was Tommy "Jone" but is Cam's shoulder degenerative as well?

thunderraiden

I not advocating for bringing Cam back, I'm just thinking about Geno fuging Smith making a career comeback and wondering what exactly happened to Cam's arm to be completely out the league? He still had decent running ability but his arm was the problem, just curious if we ever found out what happened to his shoulder? Could a full year off have improved it? He still hasn't retired so he obviously has his own thoughts on the matter. Just wondering if we could see Cam pop-up anywhere in 2023 after a year off?

Even in his rookie season I think he had some rest days for soreness. 

I think it was just fate, his throwing motion plus some of the hard falls/hits he took on it. Genetics, who knows. 

He never truly improved his lower body mechanics because he didn’t have to. I wonder if his shoulder have held up longer if he threw more the way pundits said he should. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

From when Cam has talked about it, I got the impression that his shoulder is just cooked.  I think it was when he was making a tackle after an interception in 2016 where the initial injury happened.  It's possible that better management of the injury would have gotten him back to 100%, but bodies are weird and there's really no way to know.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

From when Cam has talked about it, I got the impression that his shoulder is just cooked.  I think it was when he was making a tackle after an interception in 2016 where the initial injury happened.  It's possible that better management of the injury would have gotten him back to 100%, but bodies are weird and there's really no way to know.

Yea he dove and landed in a bad way on it

4 minutes ago, Donald LaFell said:

Even in his rookie season I think he had some rest days for soreness. 

I think it was just fate, his throwing motion plus some of the hard falls/hits he took on it. Genetics, who knows. 

He never truly improved his lower body mechanics because he didn’t have to. I wonder if his shoulder have held up longer if he threw more the way pundits said he should. 

Cam tore his shoulder tackling a guy after a pick. Was never the same after that. The tj watt hit was the icing on the cake. Folks that actually watched the games saw exactly what happened and when. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2
  • Poo 1

Everyone talks about the hit from Watt and I'm sure that made things worse, but if you actually paid attention to Cam that season, you could tell he was on the downside.  Yes, his numbers were good and CMP% at a career high, but that was because he was no longer playing in Shula's archaic offensive system (easily the worst OC I've ever seen and boggles my mind some people defended him).  He had no air on his throws.  I mean hell the Eagles game was a great comeback but there was little to no heat behind his throws that game.

The truth of the matter is, as much as I love Cam and he'll always be among my favorites regardless of jersey or sport, he was never a great passer anyway.  So once he lost some of his arm strength, it isn't a surprise he fell off a cliff.  Not to mention his athleticism took a hit too.  Not sure why, but he was noticeably slower and less agile than before.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 4

The word was at the time, from people here that heard it directly from those who knew, was that it had become arthritic and thus, degenerative, IIRC. And yeah, I think the original injury was something with the rotator cuff, but after the initial surgery ti think i remember them saying there was apparently debris that ended up causing the ongoing issue.

Just now, Mage said:

Everyone talks about the hit from Watt and I'm sure that made things worse, but if you actually paid attention to Cam that season, you could tell he was on the downside.  Yes, his numbers were good and CMP% at a career high, but that was because he was no longer playing in Shula's archaic offensive system (easily the worst OC I've ever seen and boggles my mind some people defended him).  He had no air on his throws.  I mean hell the Eagles game was a great comeback but there was little to no heat behind his throws that game.

The truth of the matter is, as much as I love Cam and he'll always be among my favorites regardless of jersey or sport, he was never a great passer anyway.  So once he lost some of his arm strength, it isn't a surprise he fell off a cliff.  Not to mention his athleticism took a hit too.  Not sure why, but he was noticeably slower and less agile than before.

Stop it!

Cam was not on the downside, the dude simply hurt his shoulder and he was never the same after the fact.

Cam was a duel threat QB who would miss high on some throws but he definitely could pass in this league. You talking about a QB who was voted #1 by his peers. It's like people want to forget just how great Cam was. We didn't even put anything around him on offense and he was still tearing the league up.

#CamSlanderMustStop

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Turns out you probably should invest in better OTs than Bryon Bell and Mike Remmers and not use your fuging QB as a bulldozer every single drive

Most definitely the crime of the decade.  From poor o-linemen to mediocre WRs (minus SS) our front office gave him little to no help. 

The possibilities of his greatness were ruined by Hurney's lack of understanding of how great he was. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

shoulder surgeries are often the most difficult joint to come back from even in normal people. often times, the shoulder has to scar down to a point were the joint becomes stable again but at the same time causes a noticeable reduction in range of motion, thus lesser function and power production. on the other end, if you rehab shoulder surgery too aggressively and not allow proper scarring, the shoulder could be come too loose and unstable.  

• Pie 2