• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF - What would it take for Panthers to trade up for #1 pick

TheSpecialJuan

Thinking about the Bears and their #1 pick...

If they have tunnel vision, then they set their sites on Anderson/Carter and don't move down beyond the 4th pick. But that would be silly. They aren't winning anything next year. What they need is an infusion of talent - more quality picks, really.

They can get that if they first trade with the Colts, which likely lands them a first-rounder+ next year. Then they trade back again with the Panthers which likely nets them another first round pick and more.

They could set themselves up nicely for the next couple of drafts, if they wanted, and could be in the driver's seat for next year's QB crop along with SEVERAL other pieces. 

So, I don't believe they are not considering trading back as far as the Panthers pick, but they have to at least seem like they won't to drive up the price. If it happens that the QB the Panthers want is at 4, I don't think they'd hesitate to pull the trigger.

About 9 out of 10 of these super trade ups have failed and the huddle is still like YOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO??????

The success ones also had andy reid and perfect storm bills org happening.....

For the love of god, this panthers team is NOT one rookie QB away. I get the last five years and all,  but bros......this is not the smart way.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not opposed to it if we're completely sold on someone but it's an all in move. It would be the end of Fitts if it didn't work out and it might lead to Reich going out like he did with the Colts - decent coaching but ultimately failing to get over the hump.

Idk about Reich but this is just about it for Fitterer regardless. He needs to hit on a QB. This is just as risky as paying Carr 30 million a year. Either way he's staring down the barrel.

6 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Look at it logically- Chicago spent the last decade trading up for a QB, and now they have the #1 pick. Brilliant!!!

I have a feeling that by the time Chicago finishes their QB evaluations they're gonna come to the conclusion that there are 2 maybe 3 QB's in this draft class that are better than Justin Fields.

I would not be surprised if they don't trade out and simply take Stroud/Young/Levis 

Edited by TheSpecialJuan

Just now, Basbear said:

About 9 out of 10 of these super trade ups have failed and the huddle is still like YOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO??????

For the love of god, this panthers team is NOT one rookie QB away. I get the last five years and all,  but bros......this is not the smart way.

Some people don't care about the smart way. They want the bold way.

You know what being super bold and ballsy without being smart gets you?

A college coach with full control on a seven year 63 million dollar contract 😣

• Pie 1

@Bear Hands had a super hopuim post about chief crackhead irsay trades his empire for the #1. 

Texans pick a QB afterwards.

DE and CB follows(or ____ )

thats leaves old buddy, old pal John Schneider.  finesserererererer is still holding onto blackmail texts, pics, and emails...... Fair trade happens and CJ Stroud is the new demi-god....

huddle need to fucous their energy on that, plus add in witchcraft as well......  get on it you "trade up at all cost/all future 1st+ mids" clowns....

Edited by Basbear

42 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Not only are they the best evaluators we've seen, it's a group of the best coaches at the most important position. 

Very little reason to not feel good about whatever they do.

I agree. I also think that this group doesn't feel they have to get the #1 pick at all costs in order to succeed. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, this false notion that you either have to make some kind of ridiculous deal or you're stuck with someone like Darnold Is kinda silly.

There are a load of options. You don't just have to go to one of two extremes.

What options? Carr? Ryan Tannehill? Jimmy G?

That's the team-building equivalent to running a prevent defense with 2:00 left in the 4th quarter when you're up by 2.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I agree. I also think that this group doesn't feel they have to get the #1 pick at all costs in order to succeed. 

I was just about to post the same thing Jon. Everyone seems to be saying that they'll have confidence in our staff "if they decide to move up grab a QB in the top 3". I wonder if they'll have the same confidence if they decide to stay out at #9...or dare I say it...trade back for more picks to fill more holes?

I think you, me, and bunch of others would still feel very optimistic about the upcoming season. But, I think half of our fellow Huddlers would have panic attacks if  Carolina doesn't move up to take Stroud or Young.

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

What options? Carr? Ryan Tannehill? Jimmy G?

That's the team-building equivalent to running a prevent defense with 2:00 left in the 4th quarter when you're up by 2.

Those guys aren't studs. We all agree on that.  Yet, even you will agree that as bad as the NFC South was last year, we probably would have won our division with any of those guys starting the majority of the games. We can probably win the division with one of them this year. 

the wayI see it is I think a lot of people are confusing it being worth it, value, and competency.

Saying it never works out (Lance) is a competency issue, not a ‘not worth it’ scenario

Does anyone disagree a franchise qb is worth whatever? That if we could go back in time and part with an extra first for Herbert we would? I think everyone agreees on that

so the question is do you trust Reich and Fit to be able to determine if there is a franchise QB there and have the COMPETENCY to make that call and pull the trigger…and then develop him into a winning QB

if you don’t, then honestly you shouldn’t really support them even being here imo

that’s where I am at…Fit scares the poo out of me and Reichs recent calls (Wentz) scare me too, but at the same time if they swear they can do it they will have 3 years anyways and should be given the leeway to do so…again what’s the point of hiring them if not?

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

59 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I mean, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it the large majority of time. But, if they believe there is a legit long term answer at QB, well...

I'm not saying that I believe it, but I don't have years of scouting and coaching experience like this staff. If they do it, I'll have to believe that they're right (until they're not).

See, sometimes what makes sense most of the time, doesn't make sense all the time. They had just better be right.