• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I might be reading too much into this but...

methodtoll

Something interesting caught my eye last night and I might be reading too much into this but this was from the introductory press conference for Thomas Brown

From the Thomas Brown Presser regarding what he looks for in a QB:

“A really good one,” he said with asmile. “I think it’s a lot of guys that kinda come in all shapes and sizes. But to me, it’s an ongoing conversation. We had some great dialogue the last couple days. It’s about who fits into this system, but also having a point guard mentality. Being able to distribute the ball to your playmakers and on third down, red zone, two-minute, go play Superman.”

Now, I went back and watched Josh McCown's analysis on Bryce Young and here is just a small clip on his skill set:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxl-95Cm67McEl4Ls7TUdsr7hxi7roPkjv

Now, again, maybe reading too much into this but the fact that Brown mentioning that he wants a QB with a point guard mentality and McCown (who is now the QB coach with Carolina) saying Bryce Young is a point guard and then factor in the intangibles Brown wants... Just seems to scream Young.

Not my ideal choice, considering his size but I can't deny that he is a really good QB... The draft can't get here soon enough.

• Pie 2

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's probably a stretch, just a common sports metaphor.

That said, I don't know basketball so I can't say I get this one.

It basically just means we'd prefer a QB who isn't just a facilitator but a guy who can make things happen on his own if necessary. We had a guy like that once. It feels like such a long, long time ago now.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It basically just means we'd prefer a QB who isn't just a facilitator but a guy who can make things happen on his own if necessary. We had a guy like that once. It feels like such a long, long time ago now.

That's the way I read it.  Our staff is looking for a guy who can get it to his teammates on schedule, or make something happen when the play breaks down.  A modern franchise QB.

Not sure that's really a surprising statement honestly.  It's kinda what every team is looking for, but Mahomes, Herbert, Allen, Hurts . . . those guys don't pop up very often.

Carr definitely isn’t the QB they are looking for. 

A statue in the pocket and takes a ton or sacks and fumbles a lot. 
If the play breaks down he just scrambles but not to extend the play but to throw the ball away. 
Also he may have good stats but they don’t tell the story of him throwing terrible INTs in a crucial game. He can have a lot of brain fart moments. 

TLDR: Carr doesn't fit this staff or team. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Well if it's Bryce Young they're after we're definitely trading up.

I also thought it was interesting that he mentioned QBs coming in "all shapes and sizes." Seems to indicate Young as well.

Sounds crazy now, but I could see Bryce Young falling.  It wouldn't be the first time a projected No. 1 pick fell.  I'm not saying he will, just wouldn't surprise me.  Really depends on how old-school of a mindset exists with the teams picking ahead of us.  

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

At 9 we don't have our choice of QBs. We will take what's there or move up the draft

I agree, but I have wondered if Young will drop due to his size--lots can happen, but I still think we'd have to be at #3 or #4 to get him.  I am hoping Levis is not there when we pick, and I am thinking that only Richardson will be there.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Sounds crazy now, but I could see Bryce Young falling.  It wouldn't be the first time a projected No. 1 pick fell.  I'm not saying he will, just wouldn't surprise me.  Really depends on how old-school of a mindset exists with the teams picking ahead of us.  

If you want to know how brilliant this is, read the post that followed it.  Uncanny jeanyus on this board.  posted at the same time

• Beer 1