• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB breakdowns by Josh McCown

Martin

On 3/13/2023 at 5:13 PM, Wes21 said:

I feel like I am going to be picking on Bryce Young all the way up until draft day.  With a little perspective and hindsight, the guy is not who I thought he was.  Here is another play that is part of a long pattern with him.  CJ Stroud would have hit this receiver for an easy completion and people would be talking about how CJ is lucky to throw to receivers who are always open by 4 yards.  Bryce actually takes off running on this play!!!  WTF?

Screenshot_20230313-180827_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20230313-181507_YouTube.jpg

There’s a few of these where Young doesn’t see his guy in the middle of the field and that’s my concern. Kyler struggles to see the middle of the field  too. Meanwhile CJ throws some of the prettiest balls down the middle of the field you’ll ever see. I feel with CJ, Reich can get back to what he was doing in 2018 with Luck

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2022/09/06/frank-reich-excited-surprise-world-with-colts-real-offense/

The offense will probably consist of a lot of play-action and timing routes. With a quarterback like Ryan who specializes in accuracy and being on time, Reich has likely designed an offense that will involve a lot of crossing routes and action in the middle of the field with Indy’s massive tight ends.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

There’s a few of these where Young doesn’t see his guy in the middle of the field and that’s my concern

My concern is the lack of routine, easy plays from Young.  Watching him live I guess I always assumed there was tons of film available of routine plays with timing and accuracy, and the ability to scramble around and buy time while looking downfield was a bonus.  The more film I watch the more it seems like scrambling around IS his game.  And he needs just as much work taking the easy pass on time as Richardson.  Meanwhile CJ Stroud is shooting fish in a barrel every game.

Looking at these prospects in hindsight instead of live is eye opening.  I guess I should have realized there was a red flag when people were making comments that Alabama sucked so bad it was like Bryce was playing with Wofford against SEC teams every week.  No, Bryce just made it look like that.

• Beer 4

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

My concern is the lack of routine, easy plays from Young.  Watching him live I guess I always assumed there was tons of film available of routine plays with timing and accuracy, and the ability to scramble around and buy time while looking downfield was a bonus.  The more film I watch the more it seems like scrambling around IS his game.  And he needs just as much work taking the easy pass on time as Richardson.  Meanwhile CJ Stroud is shooting fish in a barrel every game.

Looking at these prospects in hindsight instead of live is eye opening.  I guess I should have realized there was a red flag when people were making comments that Alabama sucked so bad it was like Bryce was playing with Wofford against SEC teams every week.  No, Bryce just made it look like that.

Yeah it makes the highlights more "exciting" when it's tons of scrambles, but it ends up reminding me of what Russel Wilson has been doing for years. He does have some stuff under center but he's usually not facing a brick wall of D-linemen like he'll see in the NFL

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah it makes the highlights more "exciting" when it's tons of scrambles, but it ends up reminding me of what Russel Wilson has been doing for years. He does have some stuff under center but he's usually not facing a brick wall of D-linemen like he'll see in the NFL

Yeah your right Bama played a bunch of scrubs at Dline. Y'all need to stop discrediting Young with such flimsy excuses. He did it against the best.  CJ gonna be good too I bet but I could see him as just a better version of Jared Goff or Carson Wentz.   Just saying. 

45 minutes ago, mickeye76 said:

Yeah your right Bama played a bunch of scrubs at Dline. Y'all need to stop discrediting Young with such flimsy excuses. He did it against the best.  CJ gonna be good too I bet but I could see him as just a better version of Jared Goff or Carson Wentz.   Just saying. 

Man, imagine if we had a coaching staff to help AR mentally adapt like Young and develop accuracy like CJ.

39 minutes ago, Bluetooth said:

Man, imagine if we had a coaching staff to help AR mentally adapt like Young and develop accuracy like CJ.

I see what you did there.  Lol. Funny thing as much as I have faith in coaching getting the best out of  prospects.  I do not have the same faith that all prospects are teachable they are coaches not miracle workers. CJ seems a better bet than AR for developing.  Young is not a finished product either.  He is the one that our stellar coaching staff can give an advanced playbook and game plan  and he can digest it quickly and run with it. No dumbing down.  I could see you being right that the staff are betting on a ceiling.  AR is that guy with a stratosphere ceiling but the floor dude. I trust the staff. That said if we pass on Young and Stround for the lottery ticket and either or both become superstars we will be forever seen as the ones who overthunk it. K.I.S.S. method wins often. Keep it simple stupid. Pick the best. 

• Pie 1

Yeah, I'd go Stroud, but Im not going to lie, AR is tantalizing. Its just hard to know how far he would have to come to become more consistent throwing the ball, or if he will ever get to that point. 

I do wonder if he would actually need as long to develop as people say, having that athleticism and being able to lean on running could make his transition a lot quicker while he works on the consistency as a thrower.

But yeah, I think the smart thing is to go Stroud, I see a lot of Burrow in him operating from the pocket (Not super athletic, but more than enough) and he's only 21, so still tons of room to grow.

Whoever it is we pick, they will be coached up.  I think it is Stroud 50% Young 30% Levis 10%, and AR 10%. 

But criticizing (implied) Stroud because his WRs were open when he hits them in the #s is silly.  That could be because the DBs can't predict what Stroud is going to do or that he was not telegraphing.  Who knows.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

I still believe they are looking for a QB to play mostly within the system, which is clearly Stroud to me.

Andy Reid also liked to have a QB to play within the system. See McNabb and Alex Smith.

But he since has drafted a playmaker and improviser at QB and has won two Super Bowls.