• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 - The Carolina Panthers Select DJ Johnson - EDGE - Oregon

rodeo

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

Yea but this one has been wild even compared to normal. Most media guys that weren't scouts are scratching their dang heads right now. 

A trade blows everything up. With as many trades that has happened so far has basically turned it into the wild west. In essence you just have to get a guy that you've scouted that's within reach and hope to find a trade partner.  That's if the cost is bearable.  Sometimes you get Intel through other trade talks that some team ahead of you is taking your guy forcing you to make a move, if you can get a partner. It's all a gamble. 

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Tomorrow? 

Chandler Zavala G NC State

Nick Saldiveri G ODU

Dawand Jones OT Ohio St

Blake Freeland, OT BYU

Corey Trice CB Purdue

Terrell Smith CB Minnesota

Darius Rush CB S Carolina

If we get Chandler Zavala I would consider this draft a big success. Hopefully a corner thereafter.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I'm assuming they see DJ Johnson as filling a major need in terms of a bigger OLB who is suppose to first play the run and then lead into a pass rusher.  

I also assume this position is the same one they are envisioning for YGM since they are of more similar build so they would be competing for playing time with YGM obviously having the early advantage.

I guess this makes sense because we really don't have anyone else in that mold besides YGM right now so it was a big need.

Still wonder if we needed to trade up, but again, if he can contribute, it doesn't matter.

I don't think drafting DJ Johnson means anything in terms of still adding a FA EDGE. I think they will add one.

I also think this means the scheme is set up to let someone like Burns or Haynes to pin their ears back and just pass rush, which I'm sure they would like. Barno would be more in that vein also.

So, I do get that someone like DJ Johnson seemed to be a big need scheme wise and we didn't really have anyone else besides YGM with the traits Evero is looking for on the roster.

This is a solid way of looking at it. Burns can do it all, but Haynes and Barno are just speed guys right now. YGM's probably the only one viewed as a power rusher and there is no one else on the roster for that role.

We like to think we can get guys with later picks but we're only basing that off of what we've seen from the various media outlets. There's not very many prospects that fit that power rusher profile that might have fit in that pick range and we clearly were afraid of what Tampa might do after the falcons selection and needed to get ahead of them. Maybe McGuire or Yaya who Tampa selected.

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This is a solid way of looking at it. Burns can do it all, but Haynes and Barno are just speed guys right now. YGM's probably the only one viewed as a power rusher and there is no one else on the roster for that role.

We like to think we can get guys with later picks but we're only basing that off of what we've seen from the various media outlets. There's not very many prospects that fit that power rusher profile that might have fit in that pick range and we clearly were afraid of what Tampa might do after the falcons selection and needed to get ahead of them. Maybe McGuire or Yaya who Tampa selected.

And I still think there is a very good chance we sign someone like Jadaveon Clowney too, bc he has been his best at the pro level playing that position and being dominant against the run and still being a good but not great pass rusher. 

Burns, Haynes, and Barno as the true speed rushers in the OLB position and

Clowney, YGM, and DJ Johnson as the edge setting/ pass rusher at the other OLB position suddenly has the makings of a potentially great group.

One can hope

Edited by Seltzer
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, FattyFatFat said:

I’ve never heard of this guy mentioned but I’m not that dialed in. I have to think Evero and Dom Capers were the drivers here. Have to think they see something special through scouting this guy. Especially moving up in a draft where we have very little capital. Fingers crossed 

You had me until Dom Capers

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Long EDGE and even NFL.com had him pegged as a 3rd-4th rounder.  Not really a reach, just a dude not many looked at, myself included.  6'4 260 4.49, I mean if this mad-dog of a defensive staff likes him, let's see what's up. 

It fits the mold of what Fitt has been doing in the mid-late rounds since he took over and I love it.  He gets guys who are freak athletes with size for their respective positions and because of their production, or lack thereof in college, they're considered projects.  But, look at a guy like Barno last year.  He was an absolute baller in the preseason, and under a competent coaching staff earlier in the year, he definitely would've gotten more looks...  he finally started getting burn under Wilks and, again, looked very impressive - and that was as a rookie edge with a slight frame.  The sky really is the limit with these type of guys...  now imagine Johnson and Barno developing into their physical abilities under NFL coaching and having them rotating in and out as edge rushers with Burns, Luvu, etc.  They're building something fierce.  This might be my favorite pick so far.  Yes, it's risky, but it's the 3rd round and dude has first round talent, that if realized, could be one of the big steals of the draft.

• Pie 2

I'm less excited about this pick. It sounds like it was a trade up to fill a need b/c the board was getting thin. At lease Ejiro seems excited, so hopefully he'll be able to mold DJ.

On the plus side, the trade up was quite cheap from a compensation standpoint. The Steelers should have probably gotten a 5th or 6th from us as well.