• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dalton as the Current Starting QB

tukafan21

6 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

It's not about the name of QB1 or QB2, it's about the reps with the players who will be starting in Week 1.  Hell, you could say Dalton is QB1 but giving Bryce the first snaps with the starers to get him the reps if you want, name doesn't matter, just the reps.

Fair and I fully expect that Bryce will get the reps with the starters in camp

Edited by NAS

11 hours ago, carpanfan96 said:

Reich is old-school and will most definitely make Bryce earn the starting job. Which I have no doubt he will

This is what I'm thinking as well.

It's also a good way to settle sore feelings (Corral) or see if they need to play it safe going into the season (Young).

Unless Frank pulls a Rhule and decides that Dalton has to compete with another FA he randomly wants.

• Pie 1

TLDR:  Relax, teams need to go in with this as a consistent approach.

I don’t think you trade your starting wide receiver along with future 1/2 round draft capital for a “ franchise QB” to bring him along slowly and try to find a way to work him into the line up.  Not in todays NFL.  The coaches and FO will do everything to make that happen.  

Generally speaking, you also don't want to anoint a player a starting spot based solely on where they are drafted. This could lead to complacency (probably not the case with BY) and send signals to other guys who are working their asses off trying to get more playing time. Hence the emphasis on earning PT.  It’s the right and most importantly, the consistent message to send to the team despite the pearl clutching it causes with some of the fan base. 

• Pie 2

The development year thing only makes sense to me if you have a starter you see as a playoff contender or your pass protection is so bad that you're throwing someone to the wolves putting them under center. With all due respect we've got the washed journeyman edition of Andy Dalton not Brett Favre or Alex Smith. I'm sure Bryce will soak up his veteran knowledge but I don't think there's anything to be gained from sitting on the bench until Dalton inevitably has a bad game and gets booed off the field.

"Too much pressure" is nonsense too. Young lives in constant limelight and he's unflappable, all of a sudden they think he could get nervous? There's no way the sugar coat the fact that he's got the weight of the franchise in his hands now. It's in the job description.

Edited by MechaZain

22 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

TLDR:  Relax, teams need to go in with this as a consistent approach.

I don’t think you trade your starting wide receiver along with future 1/2 round draft capital for a “ franchise QB” to bring him along slowly and try to find a way to work him into the line up.  Not in todays NFL.  The coaches and FO will do everything to make that happen.  

Generally speaking, you also don't want to anoint a player a starting spot based solely on where they are drafted. This could lead to complacency (probably not the case with BY) and send signals to other guys who are working their asses off trying to get more playing time. Hence the emphasis on earning PT.  It’s the right and most importantly, the consistent message to send to the team despite the pearl clutching it causes with some of the fan base. 

100%. It's an easy formality to adhere to because if Bryce doesn't win out in camp we've got bigger issues.

• Pie 1

Ah, another premature thread.

Our coaches are smart. Let's let them develop Young as they envision(ed). Comparing Young to anybody but Young at this point is comparing apples to oranges. Comparing this current coaching staff to the last one is like comparing a rotten tomato to a ripe pineapple.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Guessing this has been discussed within a thread, but not seeing a dedicated one to it and don't want to dig to find where it's being discussed, so if there is already one out there, sorry for this if there is an ongoing discussion of this already.

I have no problem with them taking this standpoint at this moment before he's even had rookie mini camp, but by the time real training camp starts, this needs to end and he needs to be taking first reps with the starting unit from day 1.

It didn't work for the Jags 2 years ago with Lawrence, they knew he'd be the starter but by having him in a "true competition" it just took away much needed snaps with the first team offense and it didn't go well for them.

Unless Bryce Young gets hurt between now and the seasons start, he should have earned the right to be  the Panthers starting QB, anything you hear different is just so much coach talk. 

13 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Guessing this has been discussed within a thread, but not seeing a dedicated one to it and don't want to dig to find where it's being discussed, so if there is already one out there, sorry for this if there is an ongoing discussion of this already.

I have no problem with them taking this standpoint at this moment before he's even had rookie mini camp, but by the time real training camp starts, this needs to end and he needs to be taking first reps with the starting unit from day 1.

It didn't work for the Jags 2 years ago with Lawrence, they knew he'd be the starter but by having him in a "true competition" it just took away much needed snaps with the first team offense and it didn't go well for them.

The jags were in a worse situation than we were in with Rhule when it comes to their coaching staff. I'd look at that for the reason Lawrence and that entire Jags team struggled that year

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin

I'm assuming he still will be with the initial roster drops...way too prematurely.

However, I expect you will hear a lot of coach speak surrounding and during training camp.  Will sound a lot like this.

"Andy had a jump on the playbook, and is a 10 year starter, he doesn't need the reps."

You never draft a guy and say "yeah he's our starter" before camp even starts unless there's not a single NFL caliber QB on the roster.

Bryce will likely be week 1 starter unless he has a really tough camp. Even then, unless Dalton is setting the league on fire somehow, Bryce comes in as soon as the staff feels he's prepared to.

Worst case scenario, Bryce struggles hard in camp and during the season with the adjustment and sits a year while the players gel in the new systems. Bryce gets the nod next year and has a year of learning under his built without the wear on his body. I don't think this happens at all, mind you.

• Pie 1