• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce so far ahead that they feel they can expand their offensive playbook

ncfan

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much 😕

Being optimistic and being realistic aren't mutually exclusive. I recognize he's still a rookie and he'll certainly have growing pains.

That doesn't mean I can't be happy about what we know to be his positive traits, though.

Agreed.  I have always been optimistic about our coming season, even under Fhule, hoping that the coming season will be different than the previous. Only to realize it is the SOS. 

I don't think someone is going to say they are going to expand the playbook to put fear into other teams, to boost his confidence or to give the fans hope that they picked the right guy.  They said it because he's grasping the scheme and is showing he can handle more. 

I think we should look at him as a Luke Kuechly on offense. Someone who really dives into the playbook and the scheme we are running.  Someone who focuses on every detail. This isn't a bad thing.  

Because we might expand the playbook doesn't mean he's never going to make a mistake.  The one thing I bet he will do.  Is never make the same mistake twice like Darnold used to. 

I'm optimistic as hell and believe he is going to good.  I also expect mistakes. 

Super excited for the next 5 weeks to be over. 

• Pie 3

I'm certainly not the most optimistic person on this forum.  My expectations every year have usually been around .500, except in years when they have been worse.  Obviously, there are a few years that expectations were higher, but not many.

That said, hearing the QB is ahead of the curve mentally in handling the playbook can not be seen as a negative.  It can't even be seen as "so what."  Sure, mental processing does not equate to physical ability to execute what his mind recognizes, but we have nothing to say he can't.

Also, if he is ahead of the curve mentally, that will be that many fewer things he needs to actively think about on the field. The more things that are automatic for him, the quicker he will execute.  It is hard to see that as anything but positive. 

Do I expect Young to be Joe Montana in terms of processing, execution, and poise?  No, that is an unfairly high bar.  But I also don't expect him to be Sam Darnold or Pickles.

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

On 6/23/2023 at 3:28 PM, Jackie Lee said:

Also no pads and he's throwing to Thielen/Chark etc against STO and Keith Taylor. I'm not gonna buy into the fluff too much until Jets practice where he's going against Sauce and the rest of that D

What does who he's playing against go with how he understands concepts?

21 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Better than reading about our #1 pick’s fake smile all off-season before his rookie year. What’s so bad about positive reports?

Never said there was anything “bad” about the positive reports, some of us like to roast and/or joke around regardless of the situation. 

And yes, it’s better than reading about the fake smile..and if I had the energy for it and it was recent I’d clown that too.

Edited by CLG

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty much 😕

Being optimistic and being realistic aren't mutually exclusive. I recognize he's still a rookie and he'll certainly have growing pains.

That doesn't mean I can't be happy about what we know to be his positive traits, though.

Don’t they say that the biggest jump from College QB to the Pros is the mental part?  The ability to process the massive amount of information dumped on you from day one?

And our decorated coaching staff littered with innovators and Trail Blazers is running out of stuff to give him?

I like that very much.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Rags said:

What does who he's playing against go with how he understands concepts?

When another team game plans against the concepts they pick up on tape and try to counteract? I'm waiting for the Jets joint practice for actual evaluation of how far along he is before buying into the fluff. Thank the last 5 years for some of that mentality, and it's generally the time that every presser is general optimistic questions without any adversity to address unless there is a contract hold out or injury etc

50 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

When another team game plans against the concepts they pick up on tape and try to counteract? 

And that's why it's a big deal he can maybe learn the whole playbook? Understanding what his offense can do is how u beat defenses.

Are u bitching to bitch?

Edited by Rags
  • Flames 1

I often fear basing my hopes on preseason fluff articles but I certainly have high hopes. He seems to be such a mature young man, a potential for a great leader and role model and extremely intelligent. I wont lie that I do worry about his size being an issue but if he can overcome that, he will be a very good NFL QB. Hopefully just growing a year or two older and in with professional trainers he will put on a few pounds to protect him even just a bit more but it isnt like he has not faced NFL caliber players and bigger guys in college at a big time level so I have all the confidence in him in the world. A guy that seems to be genuinely that nice and that humble of a human being, you cant help but worry for, support and get behind.

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'm certainly not the most optimistic person on this forum.  My expectations every year have usually been around .500, except in years when they have been worse.  Obviously, there are a few years that expectations were higher, but not many.

That said, hearing the QB is ahead of the curve mentally in handling the playbook can not be seen as a negative.  It can't even be seen as "so what."  Sure, mental processing does not equate to physical ability to execute what his mind recognizes, but we have nothing to say he can't.

Also, if he is ahead of the curve mentally, that will be that many fewer things he needs to actively think about on the field. The more things that are automatic for him, the quicker he will execute.  It is hard to see that as anything but positive. 

Do I expect Young to be Joe Montana in terms of processing, execution, and poise?  No, that is an unfairly high bar.  But I also don't expect him to be Sam Darnold or Pickles.

Pickles is a league of his own.  You better recognize!!!

Jimmy Clausen on the Cover & the Back Cover of ESPN The Magazine: - ESPN  Press Room U.S.

3 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I often fear basing my hopes on preseason fluff articles but I certainly have high hopes. He seems to be such a mature young man, a potential for a great leader and role model and extremely intelligent. I wont lie that I do worry about his size being an issue but if he can overcome that, he will be a very good NFL QB. Hopefully just growing a year or two older and in with professional trainers he will put on a few pounds to protect him even just a bit more but it isnt like he has not faced NFL caliber players and bigger guys in college at a big time level so I have all the confidence in him in the world. A guy that seems to be genuinely that nice and that humble of a human being, you cant help but worry for, support and get behind.

This.

• Pie 1