• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are you buying into the media's narrative that we are third tier

Jmac

19 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Am I the only one excited about this team?

I keep going back to playing in a weak division and having a relatively easy schedule.

We have no powerhouse teams on our schedule this year. We don't play the Eagles/49ers at all this year. Our toughest teams are in the AFC Miami/Jacksonville.

There is no reason why we can't win the division. If we in the playoffs it is fair game. The only teams I think we would have trouble beating are the Eagles/49ers. After that we can compete with any team in the NFC.

I’m with you brother.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Only time will tell.  Last years team finished as a 3rd teir team so this team shoulders that burden until they prove otherwise.  Paper tigers do not win anything. 

We started last year as a bottom feeder but actually finished pretty strong once Darnold came in. So if we went 6-6 under Wilks why should we revert to worse. Coaching is much better. Players have been upgraded. Bryce reportedly isn't processing or practicing like a rookie. So why won't we do better and contend for the division.

• Pie 5

18 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

We started last year as a bottom feeder but actually finished pretty strong once Darnold came in. So if we went 6-6 under Wilks why should we revert to worse. Coaching is much better. Players have been upgraded. Bryce reportedly isn't processing or practicing like a rookie. So why won't we do better and contend for the division.

All true. There's no apparent reason they would not have better results. But until they actually play the games that hasn't been proven fact. Every team improved, on paper.  Well the Bucs may be the exception to that. Even Green Bay improved just by the mere fact they got rid of Rodgers. I do know one thing however. This team will look like a real nfl team this season regardless of their final record. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

All true. There's no apparent reason they would not have better results. But until they actually play the games that hasn't been proven fact. Every team improved, on paper.  Well the Bucs may be the exception to that. Even Green Bay improved just by the mere fact they got rid of Rodgers. I do know one thing however. This team will look like a real nfl team this season regardless of their final record. 

I get that nothing is proven until the end of the season  but this whole reticence to get excited because we sucked under Rhule is understandable but annoying. Fan is short for fanatic and the Huddle is usually full of then but this whole let's wait and see is weak sauce.  It is sad to see.

• Pie 2

We will be between 7-10 and 10-7, we’ll be in contention for the division and may even win a playoff game.

But we’re not a bottom feeder and we’re not a legitimate contender.

This is a year to work through some stuff, but one that will show promise.

Yes. Casual fans generally tend to think we are going to come in and destroy long standing historical trends and records set and held by past teams with a new head coach and rookie QB because we are unique and special (aka emotions), but in reality that’s not how this works.

Literally the only thing I care about this season is Young looking like he belongs in the NFL in some way. Our actual record will mean very little considering history. This team needs time to build.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I get that nothing is proven until the end of the season  but this whole reticence to get excited because we sucked under Rhule is understandable but annoying. Fan is short for fanatic and the Huddle is usually full of then but this whole let's wait and see is weak sauce.  It is sad to see.

I think from a media perspective you don't have any star players, a new coaching staff and an unproven rookie at QB.  Bryce has many positives but from a broad brush view they are taking a stance of we will have to see if it works out.  I think many folks are following this approach.

I think a lot of people (self included) are generally excited about what is happening with the team and particularly what is being put together on offense. I dont think we are instant dynasty but the team is coming together.  I expect us to be in the mix for the NFC South this year.  There's going to be growing pains but as a fan it is hard not to be excited about the direction of the team.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Our overall record puts us 23rd in the NFL - exactly third tier.  How can the media do or say anything else?  Moving out of that tier is relatively simple, all you have to do is string together 5-7 winning seasons in a row.  We have not shown the ability to do so.

Until we get out there and prove otherwise, we'll continue to be what we've always been:  A mediocre team that occasionally flirts with greatness only to disappoint.

• Pie 1

The arrow is pointing up for us. I expect some growing pains with new coaching staff and rookie QB, but going into 2024 we will be the favorites for the NFCS for sure. It is always more exciting to watch the next young guys start the journey than to try to take some vets that give the old college try one more time. Enjoy the ride.

• Beer 1

Look, until we prove otherwise, it is going to be us in the bottom tier. And honestly, all of the "theys" have as much chance of being right as the "we"s do. 

We could roll into this season and set the league on fire. It could be a replay of 2003 when a gritty team of overachievers just out tough everyone and a QB starts playing like no one could have imagined from him at that time.

Or we could see our undersized rookie QB get splattered in the first game, our lack of receivers kill us, have a non-existent running game and all find out that Indianapolis' collapse was Reich's fault.  

We just have no way of knowing what kind of season we will be having. And that's why they play the games. And it's not just us. Any team can have any kind of story going into this year. There's no reason the Bears won't be great and there's no reason that the Chiefs can't collapse. 

Me, I can't wait to see that first official, real game. 

• Pie 1