• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are you buying into the media's narrative that we are third tier

Jmac

Not sure why the media is downplaying the Panthers. We have a better roster this year on both sides of the ball and one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL.

The only major player we lost is Moore but I think we have an overall better WR core. Saunders will help the passing he game with his catching ability out of the back field and Hurst is an upgrade at TE. The QB room has been upgraded even if Dalton is QB1. The same OL is back, which will be tops in the league. The defense has a few key additions on an already good defense from last year. 

Media has ranked the Panthers off-season as one of the best but rank the team overall lower than the Bucs, Saints and Falcons in the worst division in the NFL. WTF!!!

17 minutes ago, gakonline said:

Not sure why the media is downplaying the Panthers. We have a better roster this year on both sides of the ball and one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL.

The only major player we lost is Moore but I think we have an overall better WR core. Saunders will help the passing he game with his catching ability out of the back field and Hurst is an upgrade at TE. The QB room has been upgraded even if Dalton is QB1. The same OL is back, which will be tops in the league. The defense has a few key additions on an already good defense from last year. 

Media has ranked the Panthers off-season as one of the best but rank the team overall lower than the Bucs, Saints and Falcons in the worst division in the NFL. WTF!!!

The media has always downplayed us.

Even in 2016 they didn't talk about us like they should have. It's not surprising the media only caters to big market teams. Fug em!

I don't think so but as fans, we tend to be overly optimistic on the whole. Bryce's first year, Reich's first year, I get it. I feel like we could go 10 or 11 wins but 7 wouldn't surprise me. I do feel like (barring major injuries) we are setting up nicely by year three.

13 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Confused-nick-young GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It's Bryce Young's rookie season.   I care more about how he looks and his development.   So an example would be.....

I'd rather Bryce Young look like a he was good pick and on a good development track yet the team be 6-10 over a season we make it to 9-8 and we question if Bryce was the right pick and struggles and doesn't' progress well. 

Some doomsday scenarios to ponder amid the sunshine..

Young looks like a rookie and makes plenty of rookie mistakes.

Oline is just ok. 

Offense is not dynamic enough and frequently puts the defense in tough spots.

Health and ability of cbs is an ongoing problem through the season.

Defense is consistently overmatched by the better offenses.

Team is frustrating to watch by having a good game followed up by bad performances.

Record is 6-11, 3rd in South.

I think something along those lines is what the national view of the team is about.

I have said it in another thread, but I expect us to be this year's Jaguars and have a slow start out of the gate and then turn into a contender as the year goes on. 

There will be growing pains with the new staff and new personnel, that's inevitable. Also Reich has a history in Indy of starting seasons off slow for whatever reason, I have read Colts fans warn us about that.

But the staff in general is too strong to be a bad team. The roster is better than our record was last year because we had a joke of a coaching staff set the foundation, and then once we brought in a grown-up with Wilks we started competing. That's with Darnold as our starter, McAdoo as our OC, Al Holcomb as our D-Coordinator, and a short-staffed coaching staff after Wilks fired everyone. 

Every Receiver we brought in is better than Robbie Anderson, even if they aren't better than Moore. It's a net positive of being solid with little drop-off between people on the depth chart.

We brought in interior depth with Williams and Tuttle to help our run defense. We brought in secondary help with Bell. We have a DC that seems to know what to actually do with Jeremy Chinn. 

We took the #1 QB in college football in Bryce Young. 

There is no reason we shouldn't be contending for this division. Our only true net negative loss the entire offseason was getting rid of Moore. We got better in literally every other area of our team minus CB and Pass rusher where we remained stagnant But even then there's still the opportunity to fill those needs through roster cuts and available Vets who want to skip Camp. 

I am normally very reserved with my predictions and or outlook each season due to the conservative history of our Owner, Coaches, and GMs of the past, but this just absolutely feels different. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, Jmac said:

Most of the stuff I read on line says that we will be a third tier team (at best). I know it's impossible to know at this point, but just looking over the roster at this point. Are they right?

Are you expecting a wild card or .500 team or bottom dweller.

What's the gut feeling on here...

I can't be upset about being tier 3 because I don't know how many tiers there are.  3, 5, 30?  If there are 30 tiers, I'm feeling pretty good.

Worse case: 7-10.  Best case 11-6.  Likely: 9-8.  I'll take it.  

Young's second year should be the start of a long period of good times and inflated expectations.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, panthers55 said:

We started last year as a bottom feeder but actually finished pretty strong once Darnold came in. So if we went 6-6 under Wilks why should we revert to worse. Coaching is much better. Players have been upgraded. Bryce reportedly isn't processing or practicing like a rookie. So why won't we do better and contend for the division.

I expect to be better, but this is a thin team, even at its strongest positions. I'd say 7-8 wins is a success but below that, it's a bad look for this staff. Need a good finish to the year and a respectable start.