• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Bryce Young lead Panthers to a deep playoff run?

NAS

On 7/7/2023 at 8:20 AM, CRA said:

Dang, these over the top expectations on a rookie QB are a tad much.   Why? This is season is about growth, learning and taking lumps.  And we got new systems on both sides of the field that have to be built.  Everyone got us inked into the playoffs. 

In the last 20 years I don’t think a rookie QB has gone to the postseason without Pro Bowl caliber players to distribute to or a top of the league D or having legs to take over a game and challenge for the QB rushing lead.  And only 1 made it to double digit wins without some version of the above and they didn’t make the playoffs let alone win a game or go deep.  

I agree with you there on the expectations. We don’t really  know anything yet and there are a lot of areas that applies to.

If it turns out the team actually made a good decision on Young, the situation in our division is fairly unique in that I can’t think of a division fully populated with teams on the bottom of the talent barrel the way the NFCS was last year. 
Maybe the old NFCC in a couple of seasons  but even so most times I remember there was one team that dominated which has not been the case here. 
So I can see a path but again, we know nothing really until they kick it off in regular season mode. And then it will be a few games of the modern NFL’s extended into the regular season preseason practice games. Which is what we get with the labor rules they go by now where you can’t really practice enough to hone things before the shooting starts.

Couldn’t edit the above post but wanted to add I will say Young is doing things that Cam should have done that I don’t remember him doing much of. He took his off-seasons off. Young is at SMU throwing to his WRs which, damn right I like to see that. 
Then I think, a guy with his negatives to overcome, would do that type of stuff though.  He’d be used to it. Business as usual. He has done that to succeed his whole life. I definitely value that type of ‘want to’ in my football players 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 1:05 PM, Sgt Schultz said:

Atlanta's offseason has me scratching my head a bit.

I kind of think that Arthur Smith is looking to replicate what he had on the Titans. Strong running game and a game manager qb with some big play potential. Pair that up with a tough and active defense.

• Pie 2

On 7/8/2023 at 3:20 AM, CPantherKing said:

The answer is no.

Bryce Young may have 1 playoff win during his rookie contract.

As long as Young is the QB, the Panthers will need to have a championship defense/DC and an offensive play caller who can manage to average more than 2 GWDs per season.

Currently, the Panthers do not check any of these boxes.

rachel dratch snl GIF

A deep run? Going to depend on a lot of luck in regards to injuries plus who the first draw is.

Can he get us to the playoffs? The team nearly got there with an offense piloted by Ben McAdoo & Sam Darnold. The coaching staff and QB position have been upgraded, and there's an argument to be made that the defense was upgraded as well (at least from a coaching perspective). The WR room lost it's #1 WR but there's no doubt that the room as a whole has gotten more talented (Thielen, Chark, Marshall, Mingo, and Shenault alone is a solid overall room, nevermind whoever the 6th WR will be).

The division is winnable, that much is for certain. The Bucs are tumbling, full stop. The Falcons are hoping to run an offense similar to what Smith did in Tennessee but with Ridder/Robinson rather than Tannehill/Henry, but do they have a defense that can support that type of offensive approach? How the Saints look this season will dictate a lot.

Anything short of an undefeated MVP season will be seen has a failure 

Jk, that's what people were acting like when we drafted him , I got called a Karen and laughed off the board for daring to suggest we wouldn't be world beaters this season 

I just want him to develop confidence while we continue adding pieces, I don't know how long it will take to get back to the promised land , but I feel like he will be the one to lead us there 

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

Deep playoff run?

I think NFC Championship is a realistic possibility. The only teams I think we would have trouble beating are the Eagles/49ers. If we can avoid one of those teams before the NFC Championship game why not?

The NFC is pretty weak overall especially when it comes to QB play. If we were in the AFC this would be a obvious hell no. Maybe im overconfident, but I truly believe we can beat any team in the NFC besides Eagles/49ers.

Well damn!

• Beer 1