• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

App State QB Armanti Edwards on Michigan upset, ‘dark times’ with Panthers

ladypanther

4 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I've heard that before, just wondering where the info came from and how reliable that source is.  

Some poster here claimed he saw Tom Sorensen and Marty Hurney doing coke together out in uptown somewhere. It was pretty clearly a fabrication but was funny enough that people bring it up occasionally.

I am not 100% on this because I don’t remember who the poster was but I feel like it was the same guy who decided to post a thread on the smack forum challenging people to fight him on South Tryon street. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

I am not 100% on this because I don’t remember who the poster was but I feel like it was the same guy who decided to post a thread on the smack forum challenging people to fight him on South Tryon street. 

I remember that fiasco.  Used to visit Smack forum to read SCP abuse that Alice dude.  Such fond memories of the good old days. 

Edited by Pejorative Miscreant

1 hour ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

This is very similar to what Matt Corral is going through currently. Sure he was drafted by Fitt but under the Rhule regime. He got hurt, didn't get a chance to prove himself, drafted his replacement and now he is fighting for a backup job. Right time, right place, right opportunity absolutely matters in the NFL and it's unfortunate that a lot these players don't have any say in their career. 

I believe Corral is in a good place now.  The staff will work with him and I am betting they hope he can be the #2 at some point...prob soon.  If he does well, there will be opportunities.  I think this staff can and will develop players on both sides of the ball.

• Pie 4

6 hours ago, CmC2k said:

I know Ron gets a lot of the blame for running Cam into the ground, but I feel that Gettleman deserves more blame for that then he currently gets. Gettleman's refusal to build the team around Cam is what forced Ron to have to make Cam carry the entire offense. 

Gettleman tried to build a team around Cam, he just wasn't very good at it.  Benjamin was a failure and Funchess was average at best.  Daryl Williams was ok, Trai Turner was solid.  Ironically, Gettleman's last draft for the Panthers was his best offensive draft with Samuel, CMC, and Moton.  

• Pie 3

11 hours ago, frankw said:

Some Panthers fans went to bat for Gettleman like he was their father. Those were interesting times.

I admit I was one for a while, but mainly because of the cap issues Hurney put us in and Gettlemans work to get us out of some of that.  But he proved to be more of a detriment to the team than he was an asset.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

I admit I was one for a while, but mainly because of the cap issues Hurney put us in and Gettlemans work to get us out of some of that.  But he proved to be more of a detriment to the team than he was an asset.

The first two drafts were pretty great too. Gettlemagic started off strong. 

No disrespect to AE but he didn't bring anything onto the field.  Most NFL players can hire coaches if they need help during the off season.  While there is no doubt his career was mismanaged, the same thing happens to half the players in the league.

I remember posters on here wanting to see AE cut after year two. He was called Hurney's boy.  In my opinion he was given two more years then he actually should have been before he was cut.

You would have to think that plenty of the teams that pre draft interviewed Edwards told him they saw him as a receiver. I don't think the position switch caught him by surprise

AE didn't leave the Panthers and find success with another team.  His game didn't translate unfortunately. 

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Gettleman was bad. He was also an a-hole. 

He had some hardcore defenders back then, too. 

I was 1 of those defenders IN THE BEGINNING, but I was so sick of Hurney that I would have been excited if we'd have picked a random off the street. The excuse that i used in favor of Gettleman was that Hurney left him screwed in just about every way a GM could be screwed with some of the contracts he handed out and some of the "questionable" personnel decisions  he made. Like trading a 2011 #33 pick for a small school QB with intentions of making him a WR! But even from the start, it was clear that he was an @$$hole.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Gettleman tried to build a team around Cam, he just wasn't very good at it.  Benjamin was a failure and Funchess was average at best.  Daryl Williams was ok, Trai Turner was solid.  Ironically, Gettleman's last draft for the Panthers was his best offensive draft with Samuel, CMC, and Moton.  

He also brought in Michael Oher who was fantastic for us but his brain got scrambled so he had to retire. That lead to Matt Kalil, which lead to his ultimate demise as GM.

Also Norwell. Dude brought in guys but his northern demeanor did not mesh well with our southern business. 

I know people are clowning on those who supported him and I won't pretend that I wasn't one of them - but I still believe that Gettleman was a better overall GM than Hurney. Hurney did literally only one thing well, and that was draft first round talent. Gettleman was hamstrung at the beginning of his tenure by Hurney (and Richardson's) horrible cap management and boneheaded decisions. He did well his first few drafts, then completely tanked 2016, then knocked 2017's out of the park, but by that time he seemed to have burned every bridge in the building so he was shitcanned. 

Is he necessarily a GOOD GM? No. 

But he was better than Hurney. The fact he had as many winning seasons and more playoff appearances in 5 years as Hurney did in 15 shows he was more competent.

He was a prick though. No arguments there. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

(" The reason (for being released) that I got from Gettleman is that I was never the same after my aunt died.")

What a lame excuse or reason for telling a player why they were released. I feel for Edwards and the way Gettleman handled his release  and it makes him look like a jerk and a small person.

• Pie 1