• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we get hoodwinked on Miles Sanders

TheBigKat

27 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Same as Najae Harris, better than Joe Mixon, barely behind CMC. Good company to be in. 

Still puts him at 65 though.   And if you look at the Eagles backs, they had a couple guys in the top 10. 

I mean you can go back to the Double Trouble days.  People have never liked my take on RBs and money.  I'm generally never a fan of how we manage that spot.   I don't like drafting them high.  I don't like paying them after their rookie year.  and I don't like paying FAs "good" money.  

If you build a quality OL, you can build a good committee for cheap.  Put the money into the pass game and defnese. 

• Pie 2

The problem with assessing whether we overpaid is our offense is a pretty big unknown to us right now.  We need to see how he is used and how he performs in it.  We can extrapolate a little from his past seasons, but again, in what role(s)?

If Wilks and McAdoo were still running the show, then we would have a firmer answer.  But right now, he is like investing in a stock in a changing industry: we won't know until we know, which is after the beans are counted.

We can start wringing our hands about this maybe after October.  We won't know until later than that.

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, CRA said:

Still puts him at 65 though.   And if you look at the Eagles backs, they had a couple guys in the top 10. 

I mean you can go back to the Double Trouble days.  People have never liked my take on RBs and money.  I'm generally never a fan of how we manage that spot.   I don't like drafting them high.  I don't like paying them after their rookie year.  and I don't like paying FAs "good" money.  

If you build a quality OL, you can build a good committee for cheap.  Put the money into the pass game and defnese. 

But that’s what we did. Built a quality OL and got a cheap RB. 6mil a year or whatever we gave him is middling to cheap. And he’s above a middling RB.  Our RB stable isn’t taking money away from other positions…

• Beer 1

On 7/22/2023 at 6:36 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

I kind of wish we waited we could have been a target for Saquan Barkley. He would have been perfect for a young QB like Bryce.

Saying that Miles Sanders is still talented in his own right. Should be interesting to see if he lives up to that contract.

Barkley is a bust. 

• Poo 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

But that’s what we did. Built a quality OL and got a cheap RB. 6mil a year or whatever we gave him is middling to cheap. And he’s above a middling RB.  Our RB stable isn’t taking money away from other positions…

yeah, but for me, that's not cheap.   Look at Sanders next season.   Is that a cheap committee RB? 

Cap is the cap.   Any savings can always go elsewhere.   And that's the spot you can get by on cheap labor.  Especially, if you build a good offense.  Because you can turn an average Joe into a producer.  Which IMO is what Philly did last year.  Any decent RB was going to produce in that O w/ volume. 

2 hours ago, CRA said:

yeah, but for me, that's not cheap.   Look at Sanders next season.   Is that a cheap committee RB? 

Cap is the cap.   Any savings can always go elsewhere.   And that's the spot you can get by on cheap labor.  Especially, if you build a good offense.  Because you can turn an average Joe into a producer.  Which IMO is what Philly did last year.  Any decent RB was going to produce in that O w/ volume. 

I agree with you in terms of his 2024 base/cap hit, but next year it's structured to be fairly cheap, no? I think he ranks outside the top 50 in terms of base salary alone and his total cap hit for 2023 is ranked 26th among RBs next year. Not RB by committee numbers but (in the context of this thread), the Eagles top 2 RBs add up to $3.75m total cap hit which would rank 14th just behind Bijan Robinson and ahead of Najee Harris.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

Go back and check his rookie year numbers under Duce Staley that’s the player we want a dual threat 

Duce was also there when the ball got taken out of his hands though as a pass catcher. 

Sanders isn’t in Philly because he lacked the ability to be a reliable dual threat player. 

I think he is a fine rusher.  Hubbard is that too.  A reliable pass catcher? IMO, we don’t have that.   And we are trotting out a rookie QB who needs that.  Hope they add some savvy 3rd down bet to add that component for Young. 

5 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The problem with assessing whether we overpaid is our offense is a pretty big unknown to us right now.  We need to see how he is used and how he performs in it.  We can extrapolate a little from his past seasons, but again, in what role(s)?

If Wilks and McAdoo were still running the show, then we would have a firmer answer.  But right now, he is like investing in a stock in a changing industry: we won't know until we know, which is after the beans are counted.

We can start wringing our hands about this maybe after October.  We won't know until later than that.

I think it will be run heavy, until young gets loose. 

But I dont know either. 

On 7/22/2023 at 6:44 PM, therealmjl said:

Quality over quantity. Those 5 backs on that eagles graphic are absolute meh. Swift wasn’t even relevant or playing down the stretch last year. The Lions couldn’t wait to move on from him.

This…Swift was a good bargain sign but Miles is better.  Penny had many opportunities and never really cashed in

Edited by Shocker
  • Beer 1