• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hey guys, it's 2011 not 2015.

Zod

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, I don't know how you guys can realistically expect the playoffs with everything so new, but more power to you. If this were a normal year in a normal division, we wouldn't be sniffing the playoffs. Every team in our division is supposed to make for a weak division, much like last season, but there are scenarios where that may not be true (and if history is our guide, it won't be true). That being said, we are basically the newest kid on the block so to speak. I would say that the Saints (if not the Falcons), are supposed to be farther along the curve than we are. There's a lot of inexperience with our team. 

I think "expecting" playoffs is a little much. I do think that we shouldn't immediately be discounted as a possibility. 

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

The opposing QB won't matter much, if the team can just run it down your throat. Our D was average last year. Look average at the moment as well.

On top of that. Bryce may be an upgrade, BUT  he is still rookie. His inexperience will show at times. Especially if he has no protection.

Anybody who thought we were playoff contenders, with a rookie QB. A new coach. A new O scheme. A new D scheme. Wasn't thinking logically.

Then why were we 1 game away from making the playoffs last year?

Im trying to figure out why people think we are so far away from making the playoffs with a better HC and a better QB.

Seems like more people still stuck in the past if you ask me. We hired a new coach and staff and the goal is to get better as a team not get worst. Playoffs in this division is a toss up. If we can't win the division then Tepper needs to look in the mirror and let someone else start making decisions because clearly it hasn't been working since he took over.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I think "expecting" playoffs is a little much. I do think that we shouldn't immediately be discounted as a possibility. 

That’s about where I’m at. If Evero can get this defense in the top 10 plus our OL stays healthy and picks up where they left off last season we have enough to be in the race IMO. 

• Beer 2

Good, because the Chiefs 3rd and 4th string offense looks better than all of ours. Each of their QB's has thoroughly outplayed all of our guys as well. Context matters but  Buschel and Oladakpo (whatever his name is) have both made some wow throws and off schedule plays.

Whether it's 2011 or not is up for debate but I've veen flamed since April for saying the defense would be a work in progress, that Ickey is the most overrated player on this squad, and that Bryce would need to adjust. I was even fuging banned for a week for suggesting Bryce may struggle a bit. 

And I was right, as long as the offensive line play continues the way it has in pass protection going back to the beginning of last year, and now into Week 1 of the preseason, he will struggle. 

What is different from 2011 is that we had a 255 lb QB who could withstand some breakdowns in protection. Bryce can't take too many shots like he took on Saturday before he ends up injured.

• Poo 1

11 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Good, because the Chiefs 3rd and 4th string offense looks better than all of ours. Each of their QB's has thoroughly outplayed all of our guys as well. Context matters but  Buschel and Oladakpo (whatever his name is) have both made some wow throws and off schedule plays.

Whether it's 2011 or not is up for debate but I've veen flamed since April for saying the defense would be a work in progress, that Ickey is the most overrated player on this squad, and that Bryce would need to adjust. I was even fuging banned for a week for suggesting Bryce may struggle a bit. 

And I was right, as long as the offensive line play continues the way it has in pass protection going back to the beginning of last year, and now into Week 1 of the preseason, he will struggle. 

What is different from 2011 is that we had a 255 lb QB who could withstand some breakdowns in protection. Bryce can't take too many shots like he took on Saturday before he ends up injured.

https://theathletic.com/3976961/2022/12/07/panthers-ikem-ekwonu-rookie-left-tackle/

The man went 594 consecutive snaps without allowing a sack his rookie year as our LT and you think he is overrated?  We had a solid young OL last year (I think we were ranked 11) and now we are returning all starters with our OL coach.  It may take a minute to learn the new schemes but calling our potential franchise LT overrated seems odd??

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, NAS said:

Disagree.  2011 came after 1-15 season. 

We didn’t earn the #1 pick this year, we traded up from #9 to get Bryce Young after finishing 7-10 and second in NFC South. 

My expectations are more 2013. Playoff appearance. 

This. We were a borderline playoff team last year with some of the worst Qb play in the NFL. By all means we should be significantly better this year. 

33 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Then why were we 1 game away from making the playoffs last year?

Im trying to figure out why people think we are so far away from making the playoffs with a better HC and a better QB.

Seems like more people still stuck in the past if you ask me. We hired a new coach and staff and the goal is to get better as a team not get worst. Playoffs in this division is a toss up. If we can't win the division then Tepper needs to look in the mirror and let someone else start making decisions because clearly it hasn't been working since he took over.

Because the massive amount of change has to be factored in. New QB or new coach/schemes? Fine. New QB, a rookie at that, AND new coach? That's a ton to settle in and it renders the prior year effectively moot.

2 hours ago, t96 said:

The division is no better than last year, probably worse with Brady retired and the Bucs likely bottom feeders. 1st overall QB coming off 7 wins last year with a superstar coaching staff assembled and the expectations should be high. The pressure should be on this staff. 

I'm not buying it. The Saints have been a threat forever it seems like, and for all the criticism of Carr, he has been solid, if unspectacular, most of the time, and he's most certainly an upgrade over Dalton or Turnover Winston. The Saints defense will likely be better than ours, their O-line is solid, and you can't take away anything from Kamara, Jamaal Williams, Thomas or Olave. I wouldn't exactly sleep on their TEs either. But Carr should make a big difference for them. I certainly wouldn't sleep on the Falcons or Bucs either. 

Now, people may not agree, but when the coaching search was coming to a close and the rumors were abound, I said then that I was skeptical about Reich's play calling. Now, he's well-respected for a reason, don't get me wrong, but he isn't perfect and many Colts fans and writers have been critical of some of his play calls, particularly at critical times. Even if one overlooks all that, there are still many different personalities and philosophies that must be meshed into an efficient and effective staff. That takes time.

So, we're just going to disagree on this one. I agree that standards should be high, but you still have to give all these pieces a certain amount of time to actually make it to the playoffs. One season is insufficient in my opinion. 

• Beer 1

Remind me how many points Rivera and Newton scored in 2011? Then compare it to the league.

So, what expectations do we have for Reich and Young? Is it acceptable for them to be among the worst first year coach/QB combo the Panthers have had?

Should we expect Young to perform better than Delhomme in his first year with the Panthers? First year Delhomme should be held to a higher standard?

58 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I'm not discounting the possibility of making the playoffs this season, but using that as a standard or expectation in the first year of a coach--really a team, is unfair in my opinion.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I'm not discounting the possibility of making the playoffs this season, but using that as a standard or expectation in the first year of a coach--really a team, is unfair in my opinion.  

People said Wilks had to make the playoffs just to keep his job. And he took over mid season. Frank said we expect to contend sooner than later. Theilen signed here because that was his pitch. Im sorry but we need to improve as a team not take a step back. I expect Frank to be a better coach than Wilks.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

This board has this weird beef with Wilks I just don't understand.

Wilks was the talk of the NFL how he turned our season around. We went from playing for nothing to having a legit chance to make the playoffs. People please stop trying to act like Wilks had no impact on this team.

The players freaking loved Wilks.

I like Wilks.  Got no beef with Wilks.  I think the players liked him. BUT we weren’t a good football team under him.  We just happened to play a lot of teams that were amongst the worst in stopping the run or had horrific QBs.   When we played an actual playoff team we got smashed.  Early and hard.  Wasn’t even competitive for a quarter.  And that has nothing to do with Wilks being bad.  He didn’t have the talent to actually have a good football team and the 2022 Panthers weren’t a good team under him.