• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top corner duos

Verge

I can agree with the first 4 in general but putting Chinn on a tier with those other guys is a massive stretch. He's a strong safety that gets asked to cover some guys near the line of scrimmage and gets the job done, but he's nowhere near those other true CBs with respect to that position.

That said, if only Carolina had a guy like, I dunno, maybe Bradberry to pair with Horn. That would be sweet.

• Pie 5

Nice article. Still wishing we had somehow kept Bradberry back in the day, or caught him when he got free again. Imagine him and Horn out there together.

I hope Chinn can work at nickel. He's a really big nickel, but maybe they can make it work. He's a smart kid and a good student of the game ... that can make up for a lot.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Nice article. Still wishing we had somehow kept Bradberry back in the day, or caught him when he got free again. Imagine him and Horn out there together.

I hope Chinn can work at nickel. He's a really big nickel, but maybe they can make it work. He's a smart kid and a good student of the game ... that can make up for a lot.

We kept Shaq instead. If memory serves me correctly the money the Giants gave him was about the same we gave Shaq

• Pie 1

I cannot see anyway to honestly argue for us having a top 5 NFL CB duo, especially using a S/LB hybrid who will be playing a "big nickel" position that's basically exactly that - a S/LB hybrid position as one of the CBs.

But, that seems to be the way sports media is going in the internet era. The easiest way to get retweets and shares and clicks js from people calling you an idiot for a clickbait take.

• Pie 3

34 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

If Chinn is ever tasked with covering a wide receiver we are in deep trouble. He's a run down nickel only.

Outside of very specific situations I agree. I remember when Shaq largely shutdown an aging Larry Fitzgerald while playing the "buffalo nickel" position in Ron and McDermott's defense. But at that point in his career, Fitz was best treated as a TE split out wide. Those are the types of very specific scenarios I'm talking about. But go up against someone like the Rams who's #1 receiver (Kupp) oftentimes lines up in the slot and it's gonna be a disaster. It's how the Giants nearly came back on us from a huge deficit in the 2015 regular season. They put OBJ in the slot to get him away from Norman and he just ate us alive.

You typically are looking at outside corner pairings when referring to duos/tandems. I view Horn/Jackson as a top-16 duo but I’m also accounting for availability.

As a DB unit, we’re definitely one of the most interesting with Bell, Woods, Chinn, Horn, Jackson and Rowe. Far from the best though.

Re: Chinn talk…I believe what we’re going to see is pretty clear from the Evero last year and our personnel.

We’re going to see a 3-3-5 Penny Front. It’s different from Snow bc there’s no silly undisguised blitzing and Evero isn’t going to pin Chinn deep 30% of the time.

Shaq is the offball LB, Luvu is onball outside (he thrives in this and has since college, he’s basically a hybrid EDGE at times), Burns standing strong side, 3 down linemen. Chinn fits perfectly in the big nickel role more tightly aligned with Shaq. Jackson and Horn outside CBs, Bell/Woods 2 high safeties. That’s a personnel grouping I foresee a ton.