• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What to make of Ickey?

Jackofalltrades

I refuse to click the link but seeing as how most of the starting OL has looked poor I don't know why Ickey was signaled out.  Bozeman got absolutely abused in the last game and I've heard no mention of it.

I think its a fair question to wonder if an offense built on a heavy dose of the power run game last year insulated this offensive line and maybe the pass protection is lacking a little but a couple dozen preseason snaps isn't a reason to panic.

Edited by Untouchable
  • Pie 1

“Campen said he saw nothing in that game that reminded him of issues that plagued the line the first half of last season. When asked specifically about Ekwonu from last season to this one, he quickly responded, “Oh, he’s progressing. He’s fine."

Asked if Ekwonu was more polished in one-on-one blocking, the veteran coach said, “He’s improved."

But the first two preseason games show there’s room for a lot more improvement.”

lol I trust Campens opinion over Newton in the last line 

Media, stop trying to get coaches to throw their players under the bus for your clickbait. It's not going to work. You only annoy the fug out of them which gets you shut out from ever getting interesting answers. You are shooting yourselves in the foot.

Edited by csx

I think mindset wise they didn’t go into the Jets game expecting the d-line to be running stunts. Yes, they should still be picking them up, but I can also see how you go into a game thinking you’re just going to be working on your slide step in pass pro or whatever and not necessarily on your toes for any and everything like you might be a regular season game. And I heard somebody on the radio mention how Wink Martindale of the Giants is one of the most aggressive blitzers of the past 15 years or so and doesn’t believe in toning it down for pre-season.

It’d be great if he and the rest of the OL looked better, and there’s been lapses in 1 on 1 battles as well (albeit against a t5 draft pick), but there’s enough to consider situationally that nobody should be panicking. I’m very confident it’s not as bad as it has looked. We’ll just have to see how things progress.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I refuse to click the link but seeing as how most of the starting OL has looked poor I don't know why Ickey was signaled out.  Bozeman got absolutely abused in the last game and I've heard no mention of it.

I think its a fair question to wonder if an offense built on a heavy dose of the power run game last year insulated this offensive line and maybe the pass protection is lacking a little but a couple dozen preseason snaps isn't a reason to panic.

I don't think the article was that far off base, other than a mysterious "source" that he quotes. Bottom line is that his pass blocking (when left on an island) was questionable going back to his State days. We gave him a lot of help last year on passing plays. As long as he improves, I'm good with him at LT.

"The Panthers got him help with a tight end or extra lineman on 35% of his pass blocks with three or more wide receivers on the field in Weeks 1-9, according to ESPN Analytics/NFL Next Gen Stats. That dropped to 27% the second half of the season when Carolina went to more jumbo sets featuring an extra lineman."

29 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

and not a single click was given

If David Newton is dependent on my click to eat tonight, he better get used to the idea of dieting.

I'm not sure why people are so upset about him getting caught saying he was going to write an article trashing somebody to get clicks, and then doing it.  Pretty much everything he writes falls into the category of click bait.  Any resemblance between his work and sports journalism is a dirty shame.

• Pie 3