• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns out of practice, Frank Reich not saying if absence is contract-related

WarPanthers89

57 minutes ago, Mage said:

Probably a nothing burger.  I doubt Brian Burns waited until now to start his hold out.

Yeah that wouldn't make a lick of sense. 1 possibility (though not likely in my view) is that we are extremely close to a contract extension and his agent told him to sit out until pen to paper is official to prevent a last second injury causing the deal to get scrapped (it's a business after all). Most likely just unrelated to contract.

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

I'd actually say waiting until now would be the smart move, much smarter than what Bosa is doing.

You learn the new defense, show the coaches how valuable you can be while also making sure you're fully prepared for the season.

Then threaten to sit out and hope the deal gets done before Week 1, which if it does, will put him in a better place to be ready for the season than someone like Bosa would be if he signs before next weekend as well.

I agree. He has all the leverage now. Everyone knows this defense goes nowhere without him. They didn’t pick up insurance so he’s all they got.

Now would be the perfect time to holdout.

1 hour ago, Aussie Tank said:

This is true 

i like burns and but sacks- while a ??? stat- hes never had 10 in a full season. Sure pressure is top 5(i think). His run defense is below average too. Hes not a "5 tool" player per say.....and to give him 27per/____ man thats a tough check to write each week when the stat line is zeros.

heres another one, since hes been the panthers basically won 5 games each season. if you want life changing $$$$$ you better be making it happen on the field, which is the issue.....

still want him on the team, cause without, its scary......reddick out played him the last two years and hes getting 15per....

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

I agree. He has all the leverage now. Everyone knows this defense goes nowhere without him. They didn’t pick up insurance so he’s all they got.

Now would be the perfect time to holdout.

And risk a season that doesn’t accrue, only to still be under contract next year while not earning a single penny this year?  Idk man, that’s awfully risky.  

regardless, my guess is this was unrelated to the contract situation.  

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

And risk a season that doesn’t accrue, only to still be under contract next year while not earning a single penny this year?  Idk man, that’s awfully risky.  

regardless, my guess is this was unrelated to the contract situation.  

I don’t follow. New contracts typically start paying immediately. At least bonuses do. Even if not, the guaranteed amount is guaranteed. An injury this year and his price might go down. 

2 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I don’t follow. New contracts typically start paying immediately. At least bonuses do. Even if not, the guaranteed amount is guaranteed. An injury this year and his price might go down. 

Nah I mean if he holds out now.  I believe if you hold out a certain number of games then the season doesn’t count and you still owe that contract year to the team.  Similar to what happened to Leveon Bell.  

19 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Nah I mean if he holds out now.  I believe if you hold out a certain number of games then the season doesn’t count and you still owe that contract year to the team.  Similar to what happened to Leveon Bell.  

Oh, interesting. I thought they just didn’t get paid for those games.