• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big fan of Burns but...

NAS

If he gets what's he's asking for, he isn't just getting elite DE money, he's getting elite defensive player money. Only players with bigger contracts would be Aaron Donald and soon Nick Bosa. 30m a season and it's why they aren't close on a deal. 

Ran through camp thinking he would get what he's asking for or close and is finding out that it isn't close and holding out and probably won't be on the field against Atlanta with out a new deal. 

Games haven't even started yet, you're already talking about next year. I do not understand this fan base sometimes.

We are going into 2023 with the clearest path to success we've had in a long time, and you're asking if we should trade away a proven commodity for some random future draft pick.

Once Bosa's deal is final, burns will be signed within a week. 

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you turn down the potential haul for Burns that we declined, you send the message to Burns and his agent of his value to you. We showed all our cards with that move. Maybe we didn't realize news of it would leak? But that's honestly hard to believe. These agents are super keyed into these things with contacts in all the front offices.

As much as I want to keep Burns, that Rams offer was far more than his market value. That offer is more along the lines of Watt, Bosa bros, Mack. Mack was traded by the Raiders for 2 1sts and some other picks and was a far more complete edge rusher at the time of the trade. Turning down that offer guaranteed we will be paying him a top 3 salary and when i think of elite edge in the NFL, there’s no way i can genuinely say he’s that caliber. 

• Pie 4

34 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The Rams offer was partially based on the fact that they were desperately trying to make a splash and remain in contention.  If I remember right, they were 3-3 when they made that offer, and the entire NFCW was between 4-3 and 3-4.  The 49ers had just made their big splash acquiring CMC to make their push for the division.  The Rams offer reflected that.

Right now, everybody is 0-0, nobody is desperate (unless somebody suffered an injury at the Edge during preseason that I am not thinking of), and most teams would have no idea what position to acquire in a push for their division yet.  If he continues to hold out, his trade value goes down the longer it drags on.

I said in another Burns thread, when we turned down the Rams offer, we made a decision to get out the checkbook, whether they knew it or not.  We now have to deal with the fallout from that.

I really really really hope the front office understands that because anyone with two brain cells could see that was a clear message to burns that the team wayyyyyy overvalued a slightly above average pass rusher who can't stop the run. Dumb not to take the trade even dumber to not lock him up long term the same day you turned that trade down

• Pie 2

Pitts and Bowers are completely different types of players. Pitts was hurt last year that’s why you’re sleeping on him. Bowers is a more complete tight end when it comes to blocking. Pitts is a better pass catcher. He played for the crappy Falcons and became what? The second rookie tight end to ever eclipse 1k yards in a season? 

3 minutes ago, toldozer said:

I really really really hope the front office understands that because anyone with two brain cells could see that was a clear message to burns that the team wayyyyyy overvalued a slightly above average pass rusher who can't stop the run. Dumb not to take the trade even dumber to not lock him up long term the same day you turned that trade down

lol God I love this place. The Rams don't offer 2 1st and more for a "Slightly above average pass rusher". 

2 minutes ago, toldozer said:

The trade was for 24 and 25 first rounders. That means we would have zero pass rush until those replacements are drafted and have a season or two under their belt. That’s a long time to wait for that payoff.

Picks always look great until the picks turn into players.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 5

2 minutes ago, Varking said:

Pitts and Bowers are completely different types of players. Pitts was hurt last year that’s why you’re sleeping on him. Bowers is a more complete tight end when it comes to blocking. Pitts is a better pass catcher. He played for the crappy Falcons and became what? The second rookie tight end to ever eclipse 1k yards in a season? 

There is a huge difference in the QBs throwing him the ball. 

• Pie 1

58 minutes ago, NAS said:

If this contract thing becomes an issue and he continues to hold out, is there still a trade market for him for a "win now" team that may be willing to give multiple first round picks? 

I thought that he only missed 1 practice, and he was reportedly there, just not participating "for personal reasons". Have I missed something?