• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My 2 cents

Zod

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

His processing is special for a rookie QB.  I don't really know what you expect a QB to look in his first start.  Not everyone can have a statistical debut like Newton and RG3.

Young needs to recognize that DBs break on the ball faster in the NFL but other than that?  He looked the part.  His ability to read the field and be a playmaker was clear as day.  But agree to disagree.  I just think if you are expecting a rookie to QB that isn't dependent on athleticism to flash off the screen, then you may be disappointed for at least the first couple of weeks.  Burrow didn't exactly flash "No. 1 Overall Pick" in his debut game either, until you looked closer and saw he always displayed the traits that would translate week-to-week.  

Yep. He got fooled by an all pro safety. Bryce shows some very good processes ability. Expecting a flawless game from a rookie QB who has to play with low level skill players is unrealistic. I saw this coming. I also see a much better performance and a victory next week. 

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

I mean he's a rookie QB making his debut.  What was expected?  His numbers are about on par for most QBs making their debut, outside of guys who are reliant on their athleticism (Newton / RG3 / Mariota / etc). And considering how 2 of those QBs' career went...

Young didn't look perfect, I'm not arguing that.  But I'm not sure how people can watch him play and think he didn't look good for someone making his NFL debut.  It was no better or worse than Luck, Burrow, P. Manning, E. Manning, Stafford, I can go on and on.  The focus should have been on Young showing traits that translate every week and he did.

Anyone disappointed in his performance today is/was simply expecting way too much for a QB in his first game.  For a debuting rookie he had a solid game.  

His arm is weak and his passes look almost in slow motion.  Give good defenses a few game tapes, and it’s gonna get ugly. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly did not see this. As good or better than all QBs we've had since '19 is WAY too low of a bar for a QB we mortgaged the franchise to trade up to #1 to get since we've probably had the worst QB situation in the NFL during that stretch. I just didn't see any plays from Bryce today that showed me special talent. The type of talent you mortgage the franchise to go and get.

Same. Teddy, Darnold, and even PJ had better games than Bryce did today. 

I believe Bryce is better than all those guys, but he didn’t show it today. 

Let’s not pretend today was something better than what it was. If Bryce is a “super computer” like hyped to be, he will watch the tape, learn, and grow. 

Too early in this young man’s career to give up, but let’s call a spade a spade today. 

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Same. Teddy, Darnold, and even PJ had better games than Bryce did today. 

No disrespect but this is pretty outlandish.  I guess I could also say JaMarcus Russell had a better game than Bryce did today too, context be damned.

Of course Teddy and Darnold have had better games.  They have far more NFL starts, there are more games to choose from.  What kind of logic is this?

36 minutes ago, Mage said:

His processing is special for a rookie QB.  I don't really know what you expect a QB to look in his first start.  Not everyone can have a statistical debut like Newton and RG3.

Young needs to recognize that DBs break on the ball faster in the NFL but other than that?  He looked the part.  His ability to read the field and be a playmaker was clear as day.  But agree to disagree.  I just think if you are expecting a rookie to QB that isn't dependent on athleticism to flash off the screen, then you may be disappointed for at least the first couple of weeks.  Burrow didn't exactly flash "No. 1 Overall Pick" in his debut game either, until you looked closer and saw he always displayed the traits that would translate week-to-week.  

I didn't see special processing. Throwing two staredown INTs late across the middle isn't special processing. I'm not saying the guy is a bust, I'm just saying his debut wasn't very impressive. Plenty of great have had subpar debuts.

• Pie 2