• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFLPA Exec Director calls out the league over the turf

ncfan

1 minute ago, Stuart Smith said:

Probably a dumb question…but here goes. Would it be possible for teams to have natural grass and put some type of surface over it for the events like concerts? Maybe a surface elevated a couple of inches? Has this ever been considered? 

I don’t think that would be possible. The number of supports needed and the weight involved would put holes and divots all over the field.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Not just that but from my understanding any time Messi plays in the MLS it has to be grass. It’s written into his contract. You think American football stars are going to take that, that one soccer player gets to dictate the playing surface, sitting down? Nah. It’s simmering. 

I he sits out people are gonna be pissed

If Messi does miss out on the match against Charlotte, it might benefit Charlotte FC from a competition standpoint but ticket buyers would surely be upset. Charlotte FC opened the upper deck of Bank of America Stadium in the immediate aftermath of Messi's announcement that he was coming to Miami as ticket demand skyrocketed.

The cheapest tickets for the match are around $150 for the upper deck seats. The lower deck seats are almost completely sold out and resale tickets are listed from around $300 with many tickets being listed for well over $1,000. For comparison, Charlotte FC's next home MLS match against Los Angeles FC has tickets from $15 to $200.

11 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

If Messi does miss out on the match against Charlotte, it might benefit Charlotte FC from a competition standpoint but ticket buyers would surely be upset. Charlotte FC opened the upper deck of Bank of America Stadium in the immediate aftermath of Messi's announcement that he was coming to Miami as ticket demand skyrocketed.

The cheapest tickets for the match are around $150 for the upper deck seats. The lower deck seats are almost completely sold out and resale tickets are listed from around $300 with many tickets being listed for well over $1,000. For comparison, Charlotte FC's next home MLS match against Los Angeles FC has tickets from $15 to $200.

Patrick Mahomes- “I will not play any games on turf, it’s in my contract”

Broncos and Chargers- “ We have changed our fields to turf”

• Flames 2

22 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Messi, who plays for Miami’s MLS team, has since stated that he doesn’t mind playing on turf.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article279282059.html#storylink=cpy

• Beer 1

Domes that weren't built for the sliding trays realistically would have to be grandfathered in.  Structurally, removing essentially one entire side of support is not something that would be easy, and the cost would probably make replacing the whole building a better deal.  Most efforts at trying to get grass to grow and be a viable surface in fixed-roof domes have not yielded great results.

There is a difference between installing grass and keeping it alive for a few weeks vs. keeping it in good shape for an entire football season.

We are really talking about Minnesota, Detroit, Los Angeles (doh), and New Orleans that are fixed-roof domes.  If it got to the point that 27 teams were playing on grass surfaces and only 5 on turf, that would be a huge improvement.

SoFi's roof is unique and the sides of the stadium are open, so grass may be an option there without anything more than swapping out the field.  I think the only reason they didn't go with grass was because of the amount of use they expect the facility to get. If that became grass, then you are only talking about3 teams with indoor, fixed roof facilities and presumably artificial turf.

Nashville is talking about building a dome for the Titans, so now would be a good time to address the playing surface.  Their current plan is "state of the art" artificial turf.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I was about to say let dozens of rank and file players get hurt and *crickets*. Let one superstar QB in the biggest media market in the country get hurt and NOW it's a problem.

Valid, though it's also fair to point out the league was always less likely to listen until it happened to somebody they can market off of.

Can't really blame the Players Association for that.

7 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

Probably a dumb question…but here goes. Would it be possible for teams to have natural grass and put some type of surface over it for the events like concerts? Maybe a surface elevated a couple of inches? Has this ever been considered? 

They have this tech already similar to basketball courts. The problem I read is that it’s hard to do as a renovation. The mechanism for it and the storage for the surfaces need to be thought out when building the stadium.