• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Andy Dalton Expected to Start

Proudiddy

I am actually pleased at this development. If we see Dalton have the same struggles that Bryce has, the evidence will be clear. The playcalling is the main problem and the talent level is the second biggest problem.

If things start clicking immediately or Dalton clearly performs better, Bryce is largely the problem and the other issues are more minor.

This should shine a little light on what the real issues are.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I am actually pleased at this development. If we see Dalton have the same struggles that Bryce has, the evidence will be clear. The playcalling is the main problem and the talent level is the second biggest problem.

If things start clicking immediately or Dalton clearly performs better, Bryce is largely the problem and the other issues are more minor.

I kind of wanted to see Bryce against a weaker secondary/defense. You bring up some valid points though.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wouldnt be shocked if this is some sort of reset to see what exactly is going so wrong with offense. Dalton can at least move the chains, he's done it his whole career and recently. If he's not able to move the ball then I think we have bigger problems than just BY. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I agree just way too many variables going on so far in the season!! New staff, do they really have their offensive plays/schemes ready!?? Does Frank need to give the offense to Brown?? Is the offensive line that bad?? Maybe Bryce is hurt!! If not that’s fine too!! Give him a break and see what we have going on with Dalton as you mentioned!!

• Beer 1

26 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH, and fair, I think all of it factors in.  It's not all on Bryce.  I think a lot of the doom and gloom is because many of us felt Bryce wasn't the right pick because he doesn't single-handedly make his team better, which is what I feel is the definition of a franchise QB.  He was more of a game manager that compliments the talent around him - a cog in the wheel, so to speak.  Whereas if he enhanced the players around him and threatened the defense just with his presence, it automatically makes us better and opens the game up for the offense because of the dynamicism - again, this is what I expect of a franchise QB - then we would be encouraged by the possibilities moving forward.  The fact that he is so dependent on everything being perfect around him between players to scheme and playcalling for him to be effective, and we're seeing how ineffective he is when those things aren't optimal, that is very discouraging.

Honestly, I expect Dalton to perform better, but not anything Earth-shattering.  Mostly because he is experienced and knows what he's looking at and seen it before, but I do think there is going to be further evidence that the playcalling sucks ass.  I really don't believe the WRs are as bad as advertised so far...  hopefully we see more out of them this week.

• Beer 2

32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah if Dalton looks better than Reich basically screwed up the whole offseason just handing Bryce the starting job and letting him run offensive meetings. Might have been fun at the time but whatever they're doing out there isn't scaring opposing defenses at all. 

• Beer 1

57 minutes ago, CRA said:

Maybe…

HC can’t tell you the play…which is ok

But he also can’t tell you what type of injury. High ankle anything….which is okay.

But he also had Bryce up on his ankle yesterday despite labeling him a DNP.  And if you starting QB is hurt and you wanted to get him healthy to play that is odd….which is okay. 

And they had Bryce hoofing it all over BOA today,  fat dudes and punters even take carts to the field.  Bryce hoofing it.   Injured QB? Doesn’t seem like they are treating it as a big deal.  Or trying to get him off it. 

There was already an argument they were on a quick path to ruining his development after 2 weeks.  Pumping the breaks with no injury was already the path they were looking down.  The O to date hasn’t been enough to support developing a rookie QB.   If you are legitimately a Bryce fan and want him to develop….you should take issue with what this team has done around him.  

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Maybe or MAYBE he rolled his ankle on that scramble where it’s clearly twisted under the defender. He looks to be DTD with no boot which means it was looked at but nothing too serious. It is dumb to roll him out there to play through it possibly making it worse and ruining his footwork. Did you watch Burrow play through his calf injury? Yuck…

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

TBH, and fair, I think all of it factors in.  It's not all on Bryce.  I think a lot of the doom and gloom is because many of us felt Bryce wasn't the right pick because he doesn't single-handedly make his team better, which is what I feel is the definition of a franchise QB.  He was more of a game manager that compliments the talent around him - a cog in the wheel, so to speak.  Whereas if he enhanced the players around him and threatened the defense just with his presence, it automatically makes us better and opens the game up for the offense because of the dynamicism - again, this is what I expect of a franchise QB - then we would be encouraged by the possibilities moving forward.  The fact that he is so dependent on everything being perfect around him between players to scheme and playcalling for him to be effective, and we're seeing how ineffective he is when those things aren't optimal, that is very discouraging.

Honestly, I expect Dalton to perform better, but not anything Earth-shattering.  Mostly because he is experienced and knows what he's looking at and seen it before, but I do think there is going to be further evidence that the playcalling sucks ass.  I really don't believe the WRs are as bad as advertised so far...  hopefully we see more out of them this week.

But Dalton SHOULD play better at this point. Minshew SHOULD play better than AR and Mills SHOULD play better than Stroud. These teams are focused on developing their franchise QBs this year so they are rolling out the rookies week 1. Unless you have a solid QB ahead of you (which most teams picking high for QBs don’t) you roll out the high pick rookie and get him use to the soles of the game. 

If it's nothing too serious and they still aren't wanting to play him that trade we made is DOA. Other teams take note on everything and with this you are signifying he is fragile fair or not. You thought opposing defenses were making his life difficult before? Either have the confidence in your rookie QB you started and traded substantial assets for or you wave the white flag. If and when he comes back he's really going to face the fire.