• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Use a lead blocker, get the running game going

Jmac

Use Mayes as a lead blocker (like they did last year). Seemed to help the running game alot. Will help the Oline to be effective. Also help pick up the pass rush that they suck at stopping.

Stop running Sanders up the middle into a wall. Be inventive and don't run him out of the gun. Design plays that actually fit hIs skill set.

Get Chuba more involved. Five carries isn't going to cut it.  This is the SINGLE BEST thing they can do to help Bryce is give him a running game.

He had a great running game in Alabama, big reason for his success.

• Pie 3

We need Foreman, Corbett, and Christensen back. And Wilks lol. 

Realistically though,  give Chubba a lot more carries.  He's been doing better than Sanders but they keep sticking with Sanders.

Also diversify the run calls. They keep running sanders up the gut like he's a power back when we don't even have 1 power back on the entire roster.

We have the concepts to open the run game. We just don't run them.

We run a lot of inside zone and a little bit of trap. Problem is we can't trap with our backup guards because they simply can't. Fold blocks are a tad better, so our b gap runs are there some but teams are loading up on us and running man and blitzing it. Which forces us back to the inside zone to account for bodies. Then not getting push because they're just firing off harder.

We run counter and it usually works. That's the benefit to running so much inside, teams fast fly to where it appears the play is going, we get easier blocks. Then they just compensate for that by having their ends not be outside contain, which means the backside end crashes, closes the gap, keeps his outside arm free, forces the play to bounce and the Will or backside corner/safety get there to mitigate.

We need more tosses and power. We need more straight up iso (chuba was chunking with it, but then they realized that was his butter). We need more variety and that includes formation variety. As it stands, I can call most run plays for us presnap. Not a flex, it's a bad thing. I shouldn't have the success rate that I do there. If I do, then defenses certainly do