• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's play "I could be a better GM than Scott Fitterer"

NAS

I said trade Burns at the time. Fantastic deal.

I said I didn't want Darnold at the time, and we extremely overpaid for him.

I said don't extend Jackson at the time.

The problems I have with Fitt I had at the time it was happening. This is not after the fact 20/20 hindsight.

I said last summer that Fitt's top priority needed to be acquiring a real #1 WR. He failed. I said so at the time. Now look at our passing offense. 

Going forward, we need to trade Burns and Brown if we can get good offers. The CMC money that is eating up our cap space will be gone next season. If we clear out Burns and Brown so they don't get mega contracts, then add to that Young is on his rookie deal, we'll have plenty of cap space to go out and get cream of the crop receivers, including a real top quality #1 WR. Add to the offense in free agency, and go into the draft looking for DE and OLB. That's what you do going forward. Yes the defense will not be as good, but the offense will have top quality veteran weapons. That way you know if Young is legit or not in 2024. Then in the 2025 draft you finish rebuilding the defense. And let's say we don't find a guy as good as Burns in the draft. Who cares? If we have a potent offense, then it won't matter that much. And if the offense sucks even loaded with weapons, then what does it matter that our OLB isn't as good as Burns? We'll need another a QB at that point. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Easy to play this game in hindsite.

If you were Fitty, what would you do now and going forward?

"hindsight is always 50/50" - cam newton

but really, the huddle has called out a lot of bad moves by Fitt at the time they were being made for instance:

-sam darnold trade/5th year

-resigning robby/ie Andersen

-resigning Ian thomas

-resigning Donte jackson

-not resigning Hassan reddick

-trading for Stephon Gilmore and not resigning him

-letting reddick and Gilmore walk trying to trade for Deshaun Watson 

-trading DJ moore

-not trading Brian burns

-dj johnson trade up

-drafting long snapper

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

8 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Easy to play this game in hindsite.

If you were Fitty, what would you do now and going forward?

There are plenty of people who called out the missteps from the very start, no hindsight needed. The high avoidability of this current mess is what frustrates me.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

My answer to this is pretty simple...

I couldn't.

Hell, I doubt I could be a better GM than Marty Hurney and most Huddlers probably know how I feel about him.

Even the personnel people who might be bad if their job still have tons more resources, training and experience than I'll ever have.

I get the game (basically all hindsight, mind you) but that's my answer.

Even Scott Fitterer can’t be a better GM than Marty Hurney!

14 hours ago, Ted Ginn Jr.'s Hands said:

The canary in the coal mine for me was extending robbie anderson

On paper, and at that time, this wasn't a terrible move. Robbie was coming off of a 1,000 yard season. He was playing pretty well under a coach that had worked with him in college. My problem was extending him and then trading down twice in the 2nd round to draft a receiver who has had no major impact on the playing field. We were picking in the mid 30's. After the trade I think we fell to #58. How much playing time was TMJ going to get with DJ and Robbie holding down the #1 and #2 spots? We didn't need a receiver chosen that high in the draft after the extension.

We passed on several high caliber lineman in 2021 and ended up picking a JAG at wideout. To make matters worse, the Chiefs picked Creed Humphrey at center in the 2nd round...after the TMJ selection. Carolina could have come out of the the 2021 draft with 2 starters even after the two trade downs if we had taken Humphrey and Christensen in back to back rounds. 

21 hours ago, NAS said:

Let's play a fun game, which move did you look at and say "I could honestly be a better GM than Scott Fitterer".

Rules of the game:

1.  has to be something other than "not drafting Bryce Young"

2. Only list your top answer

3. It can be any move, free agency or the NFL draft

At least when it comes to the NFL draft, I think it was just common sense not to draft a DJ Johnson in the 3rd round let alone trade up for him.  I think I screamed at the TV when it happened.  Supporting evidence of the bust below:

https://x.com/KeepBlitzin/status/1712162476014358876?s=20

https://x.com/WestsideFetti/status/1712176476223594870?s=20

What's yours?

Trading a 2nd rounder for Darnold when literally nobody else, including the Jets, wanted him. Could have probably gotten him for a 3rd day pick if we didn't become desperate for no reason. Then the subsequent trading up for another QB nobody wanted in Matt Corral because we realized Darnold wasn't a franchise QB (because our dumb front office thought he was for some reason) compounded the problem.

Fitterer (and everyone else in the front office) just is not able to assess talent. That's literally your most important job in the front office and honestly we just need to clean house of everybody.

Edited by PleaseCutStewart