• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB School Bryce Young vs Colts

*FreeFua*

8 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I think one problem we’re having is that whether Bryce can hit the deep ball or not, at this point, attempts need to be made to keep the defense honest . Even if he throws a pick. Defenses need to know we have the courage to try . 

Everyone watching knows whether we're about to pass or a run and we don't even attempt to misdirect.  There isn't a QB on earth that would thrive in this "system". 

• Pie 3

21 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I will say for the noodle arm theory, even in the rare moments he's hit an open guy downfield the recievers look like they nearly have to come to a stop for the ball. I don't think I've seen him hit an open man in full stride.

Believe the 40-yard completion to Mingo against Houston was in stride as he broke in his route 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, Cullenator said:

I get that he knows more about playing the position than I do but that aint sayin much.

Im more curious as to how that makes him worthy of the oracle status he seems to be granted around here.

It’s literally film. Dude isn’t making draft predictions, I’m not following your point here. 

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Believe the 40-yard completion to Mingo against Houston was in stride as he broke in his route 

https://www.panthers.com/video/must-see-bryce-young-locates-jonathan-mingo-deep-downfield-for-40-yard-pickup

You're right but Mingo's cutting outside so there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room to begin with. I'm thinking about the open catches in middle of the field. It's like he's fixated on getting the ball to it's predetermined spot and doesn't apply touch based on the coverage. He just throws everything like a touch pass. Think we can chalk that up to the playcalling and being a rookie but it's still surprising when extending plays was his calling card in Bama.

3 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

That ball also only went 30 yards through the air. Most high school QBs can do that on their sleep. Not dogging on Bryce by saying that, but rather that it is not representative of the arm concern.

• Beer 1

That video just underscores the lack of direction and identity for the offense. It's like they haven't scouted the opponent at all and are calling the same dozen bad plays at random. It's not a good sign when Ben McAdoo was out scheming this "All Star" coaching staff. Some of the guys on the staff have f*cking Superbowl rings!

I agree the scheme has been horrible but I can't pinpoint if the reason is because of Bryce's physical limitations, lack of talent at receiver, or the coaches are just braindead. I'm thinking it's a combo of all of the above.

The main problem to me though is that they refuse to commit to the running game and that also relates to the scheme. I heard a stat from the announcer in the Colts game that the Panthers have passed the 4th most times in the NFL. Why are they passing so much? The WRs aren't getting separation, the routes are "static" as O'Sullivan says, but those things open up with the running game. All of these problems compound on each other.

I'd like to see a statistic that shows how many play-action passes the Panthers have run in a game and how successful it has been. Have they run the read-option once with Young holding onto the ball? Try some sh*t out until something sticks because when you're the worst team in the NFL, what you're doing isn't working. 

Too many cooks in the kitchen could be the problem. Tepper obviously heavily involves himself in the day to day operations of the team and we don't really know how involved he is with the actual on-field decisions, but I have a feeling he is. Then you have Reich who is a former OC, Thomas Brown is the OC calling the plays now, they've got Jim Caldwell who was a longtime offensive head coach (god knows what he's doing, haven't heard a peep about him since he was hired). Passing Game Coordinator Parks Frazier called the plays for the Colts after Frank was fired last year. I thought he could be a possible scapegoat for this trainwreck but Reich officiated his wedding so he'd have to be forced to fire him. So there's obviously a lot of opinions in the offensive staff meetings. 

Bottom line is, it isn't working. They're not changing enough to make it work so it's not going to get better. And the Panthers are going to continue to be very very bad unless big (and successful) changes are made.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, jb2288 said:

It’s literally film. Dude isn’t making draft predictions, I’m not following your point here. 

My point is what makes this failed NFL QB any more reliable or knowledgeable about the subject than my butcher?  Dude couldn't get the job done well enough in 10 different stops to be much more than a Practice Squad body yet every week he gets posted here like he is Brady/Montana/Manning/Farve.

My butcher played college ball...

• Poo 2

What happened against the Colts highlights what the real issues are. It isn't Bryce. And everyone in the Panthers building needs to feel remorse for what they are exposing this kid to. He seems to have a strong mentality, but a person can only take so much before they break. If we bench him, it shouldn't be for performance. It should be for preservation.

4 hours ago, MechaZain said:

I will say for the noodle arm theory, even in the rare moments he's hit an open guy downfield the recievers look like they nearly have to come to a stop for the ball. I don't think I've seen him hit an open man in full stride.

You must not have been watching last game then.

While Bryce's arm strength concerns are still valid IMO, what is really alarming is the absolutely atrocious gameplanning this far into the season. A few of us called out the Reich hire as highly questionable and uninspired and that's exactly what this scheme is, highly questionable and uninspired. The lack of evolution and improvement - not even saying wins, just *improvement* - as the season has gone on is highly alarming.

It amazes me seeing some people write this dude off because he was a “backup” or “practice squad” QB in the National Football league.

there are even HOF QBs like Kurt Warner who have pretty much backed up  what he says.

but sure.  Let’s believe some huddler  who Maaaaaybe made his HS JV team as a backup longsnapper.  And prides himself as a YouTube highlight reel analyst.

Half the people in here bashing this dude couldn’t  pass a nfl defense test even if was dumbed to multiple choice.  As in A or B multiple choice

Sad state we’re  in.   

Edited by ncfan
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

If anyone has a few extra min I'd recommend watching the Jordan Love QB film breakdown. Immediately you see Pass catchers flashing open, it's like night and day, and it's not like they have the best receivers in the world.

Also a Bryce believer, I do want to see Dalton again, the offense looked a lot different and I think it's important to see why that was: 

One game sample?

Opening up the playbook because Dalton has a stronger arm?

Dalton in general being better.

Busted Coverages.