• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Tepper frustated by the offense

BIGH2001

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

It's working because Rivera, for all his faults as a gameday coach, is a leader of men whose players love him.

There's a reason EB has never gotten that HC job, it's because he has a reputation around the league for not getting along with players, and GMs/Owners know that doesn't really work for most new HC's.

We need the right coach for Bryce, and EB aint it

A coach’s job is not to get along with the players. Plenty of former patriots players, including successful ones, do not have good things to say about Belichick. The reason he’s never gotten that HC job is because teams have wondered how much of his success is just Andy Reid, and Pat Mahomes. Now it’s clear that it wasn’t only those 2 guys. EB will get a HC job and I think he’ll do well in it. It’s worth a chance at this point and he’ll likely be the best option after this year outside of only maybe Harbaugh but he has his own baggage.

37 minutes ago, t96 said:

A coach’s job is not to get along with the players. Plenty of former patriots players, including successful ones, do not have good things to say about Belichick. The reason he’s never gotten that HC job is because teams have wondered how much of his success is just Andy Reid, and Pat Mahomes. Now it’s clear that it wasn’t only those 2 guys. EB will get a HC job and I think he’ll do well in it. It’s worth a chance at this point and he’ll likely be the best option after this year outside of only maybe Harbaugh but he has his own baggage.

The only thing I would have against EB is that he is somewhat older for a first-time HC.

Not that we should hire a young HC for the sake of hiring one.  But I do think it needs to be considered.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

As to the story, I read the full article. Here's what I got from it:

Her take seems to focus on Reich as the object of Tepper's concerns. Scott Fitterer is only mentioned as having hired Reich.

She says in passing there are some who feel the roster isn't right for the offense (it isn't) but seems to feel the roster is solid in other areas.

She adds that the feeling around the league is it's too early to say anything definitive about Bryce Young.

If Fitterer somehow convinces Tepper that it’s all Reich’s fault and the roster is fine, he’s either the greatest salesman of all time or Tepper has some kind of weird attachment to him. 

It’s obvious to anyone paying attention that the roster has no more talent, even less skill than the year before despite having premium draft picks. It’s been like that for multiple offseasons now, but definitely blame Reich and let Fitterer slide. Would be a very Tepper thing to do at this point.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

That's the problem and it's what I've said for a couple weeks now as people have called for Frank's head.

We're stuck with Bryce as our starter next year, no question about it, but if he's still not good and we get a Top 5 pick again, we 100% can and will replace him.

That's why I just think we have to keep Reich around, we don't want to get stuck with sub par HC candidates because they're the only ones who will come here right now.  While at the same time, we also don't want to be the team that fires a HC 3 seasons in a row, so it's not like you can just say we'll replace the HC again after next season.

We sometimes go too hard on the navel-gazing. Houston is already that team--O'Brien, Culley, Lovie sacked three years straight. Funny thing is, 97% of this board would love to be in Houston's shoes, so sack everybody until they show they have it right from camp and preseason. If Cal (not a good owner) and Caserio (a questionable GM) had that view, Ryans isn't their coach today. Stroud (and Anderson) are not on that team. 

There is nothing less special about Carolina amongst the other moribund franchises. We're not the Stillers or 9ers or Ravens. Churn as much as necessary. We're down on Bryce, but no other franchise would be a significantly better opening if Frank is gone. It's the perfect situation for a new person to have a year or two to decide if Bryce is his guy or if he wants to pick his own in 2025/26. Enough offensive coaches/coordinators will relish the opportunity to "fix" him/this offense and if they look promising enough they'll have the opportunity to do so or replace him.

• Pie 1

43 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

We sometimes go too hard on the navel-gazing. Houston is already that team--O'Brien, Culley, Lovie sacked three years straight. Funny thing is, 97% of this board would love to be in Houston's shoes, so sack everybody until they show they have it right from camp and preseason. If Cal (not a good owner) and Caserio (a questionable GM) had that view, Ryans isn't their coach today. Stroud (and Anderson) are not on that team. 

There is nothing less special about Carolina amongst the other moribund franchises. We're not the Stillers or 9ers or Ravens. Churn as much as necessary. We're down on Bryce, but no other franchise would be a significantly better opening if Frank is gone. It's the perfect situation for a new person to have a year or two to decide if Bryce is his guy or if he wants to pick his own in 2025/26. Enough offensive coaches/coordinators will relish the opportunity to "fix" him/this offense and if they look promising enough they'll have the opportunity to do so or replace him.

Texans don't totally count for firing a HC 3 years in a row, since part of the reason they did it, was because they knew they were going to get Ryans as he's a team legend and wanted to go there (they also got a ton of bad PR from doing it 3 years in a row though too).

There 1000% will be better openings if Frank is gone than we would be with Bryce

First, unless the Chargers make a run to the AFC championship game, Staley is gone, and an opening with Herbert is automatically the most attractive job out there.

I think the Bears fire their HC too, especially if they end up with the top pick thanks to us, they're going to want an offensive minded HC for their new QB, so that's more attractive for the type of coach we want.

Raiders are still the Raiders, more attractive

Washington has a new owner who might make it more attractive than working with Tepper (and Rivera is gone for sure)

I could also see the Giants ending up in a position to draft a new QB to replace Jones, if they're that bad, Daboll could get the boot too, and they'd be more attractive.

Then who knows if there will be other unexpected firings, like if the Cardinals replace Kyler with a top pick, they could also decide to make a change after just 1 year to a more offensive minded HC.  Or if the Patriots and Belichek part ways, they're the freaking Patriots, we're the Panthers.

There is no scenario where we are an attractive HC opening this offseason unless there ends up only being like 1 or 2 other openings out there, and then by default there would be more interest, but the top candidates might decide to just wait a year.

3 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Texans don't totally count for firing a HC 3 years in a row, since part of the reason they did it, was because they knew they were going to get Ryans as he's a team legend and wanted to go there (they also got a ton of bad PR from doing it 3 years in a row though too).

There 1000% will be better openings if Frank is gone than we would be with Bryce

First, unless the Chargers make a run to the AFC championship game, Staley is gone, and an opening with Herbert is automatically the most attractive job out there.

I think the Bears fire their HC too, especially if they end up with the top pick thanks to us, they're going to want an offensive minded HC for their new QB, so that's more attractive for the type of coach we want.

Raiders are still the Raiders, more attractive

Washington has a new owner who might make it more attractive than working with Tepper (and Rivera is gone for sure)

I could also see the Giants ending up in a position to draft a new QB to replace Jones, if they're that bad, Daboll could get the boot too, and they'd be more attractive.

Then who knows if there will be other unexpected firings, like if the Cardinals replace Kyler with a top pick, they could also decide to make a change after just 1 year to a more offensive minded HC.  Or if the Patriots and Belichek part ways, they're the freaking Patriots, we're the Panthers.

There is no scenario where we are an attractive HC opening this offseason unless there ends up only being like 1 or 2 other openings out there, and then by default there would be more interest, but the top candidates might decide to just wait a year.

The bolded part is what I think is most likely, hence my view of any significantly better openings. There may be better ones, but there will be some mitigating factors attached.

Yes, if Chargers open up then that's clearly the top opening and it's not even close. That being said, I'm not sure Staley is as close out the door as it would seem. You have to have a plan to replace him with somebody, else you risk getting a worse outcome like our favorite team has. They're at least in the conversation every year, but that franchise in a way is just a better version of Carolina--they win more games, are more exciting, have a dud and hated owner (who pays rent to another team, just lol), but they've never closed the deal. They also have stretches where they fall asleep and underperform and have for decades. Staley hasn't done anything different in that respect.

The other openings are a stretch IMO--I don't think the Giants move on; the scene still seems positive for the current regime. Cards is also unlikely, and they have a coach who was also a relatively hot commodity IIRC. NE moving on from Belichick could also happen, but other than a high draft pick it's not that attractive of an opening in that division. Whoever takes that job could get run over by Miami and Buffalo annually and will always be compared to Bill without many pieces...their offensive skill position talent might actually be the same or worse than Carolina's, and other than Randy Moss, they've also never spent too big on bringing people in on offense. I think Bill gets one more season, with a new vet QB (he's not drafting one unless he gets #1) and one last playmaker FA (like Burns), but apparently he and Kraft no longer like each other so it's definitely possible that he's out.

Bears could be because of the draft picks, which would be juicy, but I wouldn't be surprised if CHI had to attach some day 2 or day 3 picks to move Fields elsewhere. You'd think that they'd sack Eberflus this year, but they make weird decisions up there--he theoretically should have been sacked already. That franchise has also been no-good since the Lovie-Grossman days, and has never been known as a QB hotspot.

The irony with Demeco and Houston is that there was some weird chatter that he actually didn't want to go to the Texans. It made too much sense for him to go there and well, here we are. 

Sounds like Tepper is in blind denial and Frank is getting all the blame. That entire thing reads like 'Panther fans fugged, Tepper digging in his heels over past mistakes and get ready for anther wasted draft under an incompetent GM'. If they stick to the current course they will have to hire a real bottom of the beryl HC. I don't even know how much they will have to pay someone to interim coach if the next game is as bad as it already looks. He isn't close to making a good football decision in regards to the mess he made. 

12 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

If he wanted to be our coach, he'd have done it this past offseason when we had an opening and wanted him.

We're unequivocally worse right now and are saddled with a QB who is looking like a bust, why would he turn down the likely elite positions he's going to be offered for that if he turned us down in a better place last year?

He didn't turn down the Panthers. He turns down being a head coach this season because he felt like he wasn't ready.

He may still not be or he may get an offer elsewhere, but the notion that he declined the Panthers is incorrect.

The question would be whether he, or any good candidate, would want to work with an owner who fired a coach just one year in.

9 hours ago, Judo Thoreau said:

If Fitterer somehow convinces Tepper that it’s all Reich’s fault and the roster is fine, he’s either the greatest salesman of all time or Tepper has some kind of weird attachment to him. 

It’s obvious to anyone paying attention that the roster has no more talent, even less skill than the year before despite having premium draft picks. It’s been like that for multiple offseasons now, but definitely blame Reich and let Fitterer slide. Would be a very Tepper thing to do at this point.

He may not necessarily have to convince him of anything.

If it's true that Tepper is the one who was sold on Brtce Young and influenced the decision, who do you think she's going to blame for things going wrong: the GM who was equally sold on him or the guy who was coaching when the problems happened?