• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: both Reich and Fitterer back in ‘24

TheSpecialJuan

You can't hire a new GM and force him to keep Frank, that's asinine. You either keep them both, or can them both. It's a shid sandwich of a situation because if you fire them both, you're probably not going to get any good names interested because we don't have a first round pick and it looks like Tepper has no patience and will fire you for one bad year. If you don't fire them both, Fitt will start making desperation trades to save his job which will tank our future even further, while it's clear Frank has no idea how to develop Bryce.

An absolute mess with Tepper as the garbage architect. 

• Pie 2

I wouldn't say anything is written in stone.  There's a fair bit the saying about insanity and doing the same thing over and over again...

IF Bryce Young shows improvement week to week, getting better and more confident in his play, even if we lose out, then you keep the team going.  But this is going to depend on the development of Bryce Young.  That's what this season needs to be about.  Can't look at other guys and compare, though I know that's what it feels like 99% of posters do.  They are different guys, and Bryce Young is our dude for better or worse.  The coaches and their millions of years of coaching XP need to show it by helping Young develop.

IF we DO NOT see Bryce Young getting better, then I'm totally fine blowing up the FO and coaching staff.  I'm very concerned after the past two weeks seeing him play worse.  He needs to be improving, and it's up to the coaching staff to do that.

I will say I'm really not happy with Reich's comments about not changing the offense at all.  We have a POWER run OL.  We do not have a zone running OL.  Our guys play best when they push a DL out of the way.  Reich has forgotten far more about football than I will ever know, but even I can see that the current running game is not having success.  Reich needs to fix that.

• Pie 1

To be clear this would not be my plan HOWEVER what GM and HC combo wants to come to the Panthers this offseason. Chicago is a vastly more appealing destination for a HC and almost every GM spot that will be open in the league will have the benefit of having a first rounder and won't be on the worst team in the league. 

If we make Fitty swear not to trade future picks CAR will be MUCH more appealing as a destination the year after regardless of how next season goes. 

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, frankw said:

If you keep Fitterer he is going to trade more assets to try and save himself so the argument that you are leaving a new regime a whole pie in 2025 doesn't hold up. Somewhere down the line Scott will do something dumb.

That should be his leash. He gets another year since they've pissed away 2024 already but no trades.

9 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Fitterrer has been absolutely disastrous in the draft, one of the worst track records in NFL history, there's no way you can let him make the picks in 2024

Fit was terrible from the jump and I saw it. No one else did. Kept trading a good draft pick for 2 worse ones. The players were absolutely terrible. Plus when your staff is so bad they don’t develop the players, they stink and leave.  

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

Even then, going to be hard to attract top candidates with Dave at the helm. He likely has one of, if not the worst, reputations across the coaching ranks and front office/personnel folks. 

Would be even harder if he fired everybody this season, especially Reich.

They go in the next offseason with Adrian Wilson having been added to the front office. It's possible other changes might be made. I've never been a big fan of Cole Spencer myself. Would love to lure Lake Dawson away from the Bills to run the scouting department but I don't know if that's possible. Adding in Scot McLoughan would also be a good move provided there are conditions related to his sobriety.

On the coaching staff, I've already said I could see James Campen (unfairly) fired, maybe Thomas Brown as well. OC job could ideally go to someone like Jim Caldwell but Diana Russini mentioned Bill O'Brien as an option that could make sense as well.

7 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

All of this, I’ve been saying it for weeks

I think most likely scenario is they are both brought back for next year, but both are gone by Week 6, if not earlier.

You’re just not going to get quality candidates interested in the jobs with the outlook of next year unless Bryce drastically improves over the rest of the season (and if that happens, it’s harder to fire Reich anyways).

Everyone wants the quick fix, but sometimes you just have to take your lumps and grow.  We’re taking our lumps next year, don’t put that on a new HC and GM and ruin them too, you let the creators of this mess go down with the ship.

Draft a new QB with our first in 2025, trade Bryce for whatever anyone will give us, and move on from this terrible chapter in franchise history 

As hard as it will be to stomach another season like this, this is the correct way

3 hours ago, MechaZain said:

Reich is safe. Tepper doesn't want to bail early.

Fitt is probably safe only because no GM will want to come in with no first round pick.

Here's the thing...

Whether or not David Tepper influenced the pick of Bryce Young, he absolutely and wholeheartedly signed on to it.

That means any admission that Young was a mistake is a tacit admission that he made a mistake.

And naturally, that's impossible 🙄

So then who do you blame? The GM who only did what you either influenced or agreed with, or the coach who's responsible for the product on the field?

If what one of our folks with inside connections reported about Fitterer being organizationally "close" to Tepper is true, that potentially colors all future moves.

Absolutely no reason to part ways with them now. One simple reason.

The 2024 Carolina Panthers are far and away the worst opportunity for a coach or GM in the entire league.

Let's say we clean house tomorrow so you can start the coaching and GM search, and Tepper even does the right thing and hires a consultant. Okay, what's your pitch to a new possible head coach or GM?

• You have the worst roster in the league
  • You have no first round pick
  • You don't get to pick your own QB, you MUST play Bryce Young
  • You're inheriting a contract dispute with your one star player who wants rockstar money
  • And oh, by the way, the last 2 head coaches got fired mid-season. The last guy halfway through his first year. So you're literally on the hot seat from day 1, and we expect to see immediate results or you're out the door

What exactly is the caliber of talent you'd expect we can bring in to fill the HC or GM role?

Honestly, we must roll with Frank and Scott again. They either improve, or they fail again and they get fired next year, and we give a young up-and-comer carte blanche with our shiny new #1 overall pick.

Edited by Captroop
  • Pie 3

10 hours ago, TeppersEgos said:

I mean, it kind of makes sense, in the sense that 2024 is owned by them anyway.

You give a much cleaner and fairer slate to any new regime coming in in 2025 doing it this way.

If you bring in a new team for next year they burn one of their years cleaning up the mess made by someone else, which reduces your competitiveness for candidates for that reason but also because it makes Tepper look impulsive

Yeah the 2010 tear down wasn’t perfect but it made it a lot easier for Rivera to put his stamp on things. 

I just wish we didn’t give away so many contracts after that but that was Hurney for yah. 

Also I think Richardson was more concerned with prepping for the lockout rather than tanking for a pick.

1 hour ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Fit was terrible from the jump and I saw it. No one else did. Kept trading a good draft pick for 2 worse ones. The players were absolutely terrible. Plus when your staff is so bad they don’t develop the players, they stink and leave.  

Absolutely not, i saw it too. I have been off Fitt since he took a long snapper in the 5th round and traded for Sam darnold.

• Pie 1