• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much smarter is the GM then the fans

TheBigKat

I’m not going to go through all the rounds but most people scoff at how GMs are SOOOOO much smarter than fans but are they really? 

Let’s look at some key Fitterer picks / signings

2021- Horn, the consensus on here was Micah Parsons. One has the durability of Swiss cheese, the other is a transcendent LB of this current era

2022- Ekwonu- I think the board was in consensus for this pick, just not playing the right position

2023- Young- the consensus was Stroud

trading CMC- I think both fans and GM in agreement

Burns- almost everyone on this board was in agreement on trading Burns, that never happened

resigning Bozeman- board and GM in agreement

resigning Thomas- nobody on this board thought resigning Ian Thomas was a good idea

signing Sanders- board was 50/50 on this, I personally didn’t like the contract given to Sanders

all I’m saying is Scott Fitterer isn’t that savant that’s way better then what some of the elders on this board could do if they were GM of the Panthers

There's a lot of hubris on this board regarding how well they'd do at the GM job. It's not an easy one, and I would not trust one single poster on this board to do a good job in that role.

*Obligatory disclaimer that this statement doesn't mean I don't want Fitts fired, because I know how y'all love to misconstrue arguments*

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, travisura said:

There's a lot of hubris on this board regarding how well they'd do at the GM job. It's not an easy one, and I would not trust one single poster on this board to do a good job in that role.

*Obligatory disclaimer that this statement doesn't mean I don't want Fitts fired, because I know how y'all love to misconstrue arguments*

On the other hand, some posters on this board wouldn’t have done worse, and that’s really saying something.

• Pie 3

look, the NFL just like every other faucet of life is slam full of idiots.   It's a universal fact of life.  You got idiots in uniform, on staff and in front offices.   You got people that sometimes can't see what is right in from of their face for a multitude of reasons from ego, bias, stubbornness, etc.  

• Beer 1

The stuff he does, like kiss the owners' ass and manipulate the situation to avoid blame, is the stuff that keeps his job that fans don't see. Putting up with and effectively dealing with ownership is really the #1 job requirement and it has nothing to do with football. As long as that is the case then you're never going to get the best football candidate in those jobs with those kinds of teams. 

I bet they get weird calls in the middle of the night and have to go hang out to impress ownership's friends. That kind of stuff the typical NFL fan would never think about.

As far as the football stuff? I'm taking half this board. OK well, maybe 25% of this board over any GM we have ever had. Unfortunately the main job description is dealing with billionaires and not football. 

• Pie 2

20 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

2021- Horn, the consensus on here was Micah Parsons. One has the durability of Swiss cheese, the other is a transcendent LB of this current era

Really?  I may be wrong but that's definitely not my recollection of the consensus for the 2021 draft lol.  I remember most people being opposed to drafting a LB in the Top 10 because they saw Micah Parsons as an off-the-ball linebacker, not the elite pass-rusher he is today.  I don't know that there was a "consensus" Huddle crush for the 2021 draft, but if anything, the plurality seemed to be gunning for Justin Fields which would have also been a bad pick in hindsight.  There were definitely some who wanted Parsons, but it was a small minority from what I remember.

• Pie 2

Fitterer was making bonehead moves from the get-go. But with Tepper meddling in every decision, who knows how much of the decision was Fitterer or Tepper. 

Picking up Sam Darnold's $19m 5th year option before he played a snap for the team was just f*cking dumb. He should have been on a 1 year prove-it deal. 

Not trading Burns for two 1sts and a 2nd round pick was a MASSIVE missed opportunity. 

Drafting Jaycee Horn, a CB and a luxury position for a team needing an answer at QB, OL, and many other more important positions, goes down as another whiff. If Horn was healthy and performing consistently it would sting less, but it was still a stacked draft to get a player at a higher value position. 

I can't fault him for picking Ekwonu. He was the right pick at the time, he's from Charlotte, it was a home run pick at the time. Icky looked better when he had Christensen playing next to him. I think poor LG play is hurting him in some situations. He's still young and it can take a few years for a good tackle to develop. Moton had the benefit of sitting on the bench for a few seasons. 

As great of a player CMC is, I can't fault Fitterer for trading him. CMC probably privately didn't want to play for the Panthers anymore and he ended up in a truly perfect situation for him. The compensation wasn't horrible but getting a 1st would have been nice. 

And the coup de grace, the Bryce Young trade. Don't really need to explain this to Panthers fans but the value given up for this pick vs. the return will go down as one of the worst trades in NFL history. Everyone associated with the franchise should be fired for this trade. 

32 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Really?  I may be wrong but that's definitely not my recollection of the consensus for the 2021 draft lol.  I remember most people being opposed to drafting a LB in the Top 10 because they saw Micah Parsons as an off-the-ball linebacker, not the elite pass-rusher he is today.  I don't know that there was a "consensus" Huddle crush for the 2021 draft, but if anything, the plurality seemed to be gunning for Justin Fields which would have also been a bad pick in hindsight.  There were definitely some who wanted Parsons, but it was a small minority from what I remember.

Yup, the consensus on the board in 2021 was NOT Parsons.  

That year it was Sewell or Slater for like 70%+.  They were the bulk of the hype, discussion and everything for months...and there was also a Fields coalition.  Then, within a week or so of the draft, rumors started circulating we liked defense/DBs, so people started thinking Horn or Surtain.    

If you would have polled the board for who ended up being available (at the time), it would have been 1. Slater 2. Fields 3. Surtain/Horn 

There were some Parsons, Devonta Smith and Darrisaw hypers, but the main dudes were Sewell, Slater, & a QB if he fell (not named Mac Jones) that year.  

• Beer 1