• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

17 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Reich, Fitterer and the offensive coaches decided the priority before Young’s first season was preparing him to call plays in the huddle for the first time and giving him time to absorb a playbook that blended Reich’s system with wide zone concepts Brown bought from the Los Angeles Rams. Any tweaks or changes the Panthers wanted to make to Young’s mechanics would wait until the offseason.

Anyone else find that last sentence at least mildly disturbing? Why would they wait until the next offseason to fix what has obviously been a major flaw in his game? I always felt we should have “redshirted” Young the way the Chiefs did Mahomes his first year, and this just proves Reich and offense staff have mismanaged his  development.

it’s incredibly common for teams to simplify the offense to the point of scripting reads when handed a rookie QB

panthers have tried to put the full responsibility of the position on Young from the outset. It’s an old system with lots of tenured NFL ideas and *probably* the old, long winded parlance to convey those concepts.

If you’re going to develop a QB in the traditional manner, you need to be mindful of developing him the in traditional timeframe. once it became clear that Bryce was still just a rookie QB regardless of how pro style Alabama’s offense is, they’ve spent the season trying to roll back little by little.

also I’m curious if the ideological conflict between Brown and Reich has led to wasted practice time on having to navigate how concepts or verbiage translate to each other and thus who you’re teaching. It isn’t just Bryce that has been confused on assignments. We all assumed they came into the season as a unified front with a unified system but it’s clear that isn’t the case.

perhaps the biggest problem with the passing game is that the QB is thinking, not playing, while the interior offensive line is getting blasted at the snap.

of course the antiquated route combos haven’t helped-LOL at the triple hooks they ran on 3rd and 10 vs TB

Edited by Growl
  • Pie 2

1 minute ago, jimfear said:

Yep. Times like these make me wish I could be a bandwagon fan and switch teams but I can’t do it. I guess I’m a masochist or something. 

I mean, the good side of it would be that with all this coming out, Tepper has to fix things now, right?

Right? 😬

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

So Young’s footwork is an issue and no one decided to bring this up in the pre draft process. Tepper was picking Young and doesn’t know a damn thing about footwork

Meanwhile CJ has maybe the cleanest and smoothest drop back in the league and did so in college too. 

Weird how something like that translates smh

The more and more that comes out there is just no way you cant say tepper made this pick whether directly or indirectly he put his finger on the scale

• Beer 2

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I like Campen and Tabor both, but with stuff like this, how could a new coach feel comfortable keeping them?

Hell, how would anybody feel comfortable hiring them if this stuff is true?

I mean it just screams dysfunction but both Campen and Tabor were right. We have a Oline that is best at power running and we don't have the WR's to come out in pistol and shotgun every snap especially with Reich's predictable play calling. I agree with Tabor firing Deuce because it seems he was a major reason we brough in Sanders and with the 1st game without Deuce here we saw mostly Chubba who looked "Miles"😏 ahead better than Sanders has all season.  

Edited by CmC2k
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The more and more that comes out there is just no way you cant say tepper made this pick whether directly or indirectly he put his finger on the scale

Yep

The pick was made long before Reich and McCown arrived. No one was changing Tepper’s mind 

12 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

So Young’s footwork is an issue and no one decided to bring this up in the pre draft process. Tepper was picking Young and doesn’t know a damn thing about footwork

Meanwhile CJ has maybe the cleanest and smoothest drop back in the league and did so in college too. 

Weird how something like that translates smh

People definitely saw it it’s just in this weird gray area with Bryce of being a double edged sword. The ability to move the pocket and throw accurately off platform comes from the same tendency that can lead to happy feet or leaving your feet when you don’t need to.

people make jokes about “processing” because they don’t understand what something that isn’t “how hard does he throw the ball” means but you’ve seen that translate and at times how quickly he does things has been a detriment. He’ll come off reads too quickly, he’ll pull the ball down too fast. You can watch and see him making his way through reads like you wanted coming out, something a lot of guys at this stage in their career just cannot do-but it’s happening almost too fast at times. There are times when he comes off a guy just a heartbeat before he creates a bit of space. 

he’s got to settle in and trust the protection and the guys he’s throwing to more. At times he’s just got to throw it. 

of course…..that brings up the obvious counterpoint whether or not a coach can say “trust your help!” with a straight face.

both our protection and our average yards of separation are still at the bottom of the league.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

54 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Super processor my ass

While the “super processor“ trait has been well overhyed, this kid has been setup to fail from jump based on the article. What Young has been tasked with is impossible for any rookie QB no matter how talented or intelligent you are.

• Pie 3