• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns Franchise Tagged

shaq

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Trading or cutting DJax, cutting Thomas, extending Moton, extending Brown, and working out a Burns extension/trade will clear out a good bit. The first few DJax, Thomas, and Moton could happen fast IMO. Bozeman could clear up a decent amount too if we are wanting to move on from him. 

Yeah the extensions, I suppose. I'm assuming with Djax and Thomas, we'll have to spend basically whatever we save in cap space on new FA's to replace them so thats why I was saying some sideways moves. Jackson would be a decent chunk of free space but to pick up a starter would cost almost all of that $10M. Spotrac even has fuging CJ Hendersons market value at like $8M lol

Who might be willing to trade for Burns? The Ravens would make sense, and in theory could offer their first-round pick, 30th overall, three spots ahead of Carolina's top pick right now. The Rams won't offer what they had before on Burns, but they're logically still a top suitor, and they have a bevy of picks, so they could potentially offer their second (52nd overall) and a fifth. Washington, with ample cap room to handle an extension with Burns, has an extra second and third this year, so the Commanders could package the 36th and 101st picks to add Burns, helping offset their trading Montez Sweat and Chase Young at last year's deadline.

1 hour ago, Buckets said:

I don't think any sane person ever said that Peppers wasn't good 

Plenty did the first time he left the team. He had that weird season where he only had 2.5 sacks and a lot of people were saying he wasn’t worth the money and played lazy whenever he finally left us. You are right that they weren’t sane, but many were saying that.

Edited by WarPanthers89

3 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Plenty did the first time he left the team. He had that weird season where he only had 2.5 sacks and a lot of people were saying he wasn’t worth the money and played lazy whenever he finally left us. You are right that they weren’t sane, but many were saying that.

thats some revisionist ass history right there.  And was the 2.5 sack season his mono year?

21 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Who might be willing to trade for Burns? The Ravens would make sense, and in theory could offer their first-round pick, 30th overall, three spots ahead of Carolina's top pick right now. The Rams won't offer what they had before on Burns, but they're logically still a top suitor, and they have a bevy of picks, so they could potentially offer their second (52nd overall) and a fifth. Washington, with ample cap room to handle an extension with Burns, has an extra second and third this year, so the Commanders could package the 36th and 101st picks to add Burns, helping offset their trading Montez Sweat and Chase Young at last year's deadline.

If those are the best options simply keep him easy decision 

• Beer 1

The non-exclusive tag gives Morgan the bargaining power if another team doesn't offer him a deal. We're able to get him at a better deal than he's asking for.

His agent IMO is the driving force behind the top dollar deal he wants. If his agent is so damn good he should be able negotiate a deal with another team and get him what he wants. 

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I hope I am too. But everything I'm hearing coming out in the press seems to indicate that the team seriously wants to keep him. 

If you want to trade him,  representing any other intention than you plan to keep him is unwise

3 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

If you want to trade him,  representing any other intention than you plan to keep him is unwise

He's been tagged. He's either kept or traded at this point.

Unless you are dumbass Dave Gettleman 

Edited by csx

21 minutes ago, ClawOn said:

You cannot keep this secret. You cannot tell me agents and teammates do not talk about this to friends on other teams. Anyone in any FO have already heard what's up through the grapevine. Any team interested already knows what they are willing to pay him and what they are willing to give up to do so. The Panthers have no bargaining power unless they get more than one suitor. You know that no team is giving up that much capital for Brian Burns. No amount of hype can overcome his tape. That's the bottom line. 

Edited by Jon Snow

17 minutes ago, csx said:

He's been tagged. He's either kept or traded at this point.

Unless you are dumbass Dave Gettleman 

Hopefully Burns' agent last big deal wasn't trying to renegotiate super sizing his combo like Norman's. Gettleman was a dumb ass but bringing an agent with zero experience in big contract negotiations was equally as idiotic. 

The reality is always somewhere in the middle. 

No matter what we may think with our bias as fans, he's still a young (25), higher end player at a premium position (He's younger than Kenny Pickett lol)  And there are many EDGE desperate teams that are contenders who he would help put over the top.    

He's not the well-rounded defensive centerpiece we want out of an EDGE or DE talent (rather one dimensional), but he's absolutely still valuable and for at least a 1st and could probably notch out a 15-sack type season on the right team.  There are definitely some skewed perspectives in this place.  He's was a top-3 overall FA available this season by nearly every site and analyst for a reason (the respected and awful ones alike)

We're not getting 2 firsts, but we should easily get a min one.  

Now, I'm unsure if we'd necessarily be getting a 2024 1st, but I could see a 2025 and a mid-rounder this year.  Something in that ballpark.  And that's if he doesn't sign long term which still obviously seems like what we are at least putting out there. 

My longshot wish is getting a minimum 2024 3rd and 2025 1st for him.   Then you go after a Greenard or Bryce Huff long term in the $15-19 mil range.  That's roughly 10-12 mil more a year to work with for a similar output in a rebuilding environment.  Send him to a spot where he can keep doing his spider pose.      

• Pie 2