• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think I see the direction....

You all realize we need better IOL play regardless who the QB is? If we draft one next year, having an actual pocket will help him develop more than anything else could. It also helps the running game which is a QBs best friend. 

• Pie 1

I get the rebuild but this to me has a weird feel so far. It has a make Bryce win at all cost, and make it happen NOW, vibe. In the over 20 years I’ve followed the team, I’ve never once seen them this depleted on defense. I hope they don’t go literally 100% offense this year at the expense of the defense. BPA in draft, please. We need studs once again. 

This team has fielded the worst offenses I've ever seen for the last 5 years. Why are we complaining when the team is finally making the right moves to begin to join the modern day NFL? This defense wasn't that good. They looked better than they were statistically because the offense was so bad. Teams scored when they needed to. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's no way I pull the trigger on that Burns trade this early for that little in return. Do them like the Jets did us with Darnold. You know they want him, make them sweat. Make them negotiate against themselves. You're not gonna end up coming away with LESS than a 2nd and 5th.

Honestly, Tepper's quick trigger finger on firings hurts us strategically. Everyone is thinking about NOW because there's no guarantee you have a job tomorrow much less next year. Oh, you're offering me a 1st next year? Hell, I'd rather have a 5th this year. I think I'll at least be able to make that pick.

You also run the risk of them paying a Danielle Hunter (16.5 sacks in 2023, only 29 Burns is 27 iirc), or going elsewhere, we didn't have leverage, and with Burns gone, our cap jumped even after the acquisitions. 

Per OTC - $25,483,547 in cap at the moment AFTER the initial signings, and we have well over 90M in 25' to help spread out extensions / signings. 

I like Burns as much as the next but not for 30M on average, is way too much, and that money is better spent building up the team in general.  

This year should be all about evaluating Bryce, and to a lesser degree Canales.  We need to know sooner rather than later if they're the right guys for this team.  The best way to evaluate them is to get competent pieces for the o-line/receiving corps to allow for them to run their offense unimpeded and remove any room for excuses and doubt.  I'm fully on board even if they want to do all of this at the expense of the defense because in all likelihood we are not going to be competitive regardless, and we absolutely NEED to make a decision on Bryce at the end of this season if we are in a position to draft a QB high in the 1st round next year.

• Pie 2

37 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

This team has fielded the worst offenses I've ever seen for the last 5 years. Why are we complaining when the team is finally making the right moves to begin to join the modern day NFL? This defense wasn't that good. They looked better than they were statistically because the offense was so bad. Teams scored when they needed to. 

This^. I'm out of pie but I would pie this 10 times if I could.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, pdub0702 said:

Sign Joe Mixon on the cheap. 

Why? We have a younger, faster version. 

Mixon hasn't been all that for several years now. He is productive due to the volume that the Bengals give him, but he hasn't been particularly efficient for years. I'd go with Chuba's upside. Sanders should do better as well with more adept run blocking. I think that a rookie back on day three with power and upside is the way to go.

I'm over the moon about investing in the interior OL. We cannot have emotional attachments to good defensive players that were here on a 2-15 team. Fitt screwed up with Burns but Morgan got a very high 2 for him and we did not invest 30 mil a year in him. Building the offense around Bryce is what is most important. Ickey-Lewis-Corbett-Hunt-Moton really gives him a chance, and I bet one of the 2 2nd's will be for a pass catcher. 

49 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

We're probably gonna go from an awful team with decent defense and the worst offense in the NFL to an awful team with mediocre offense and the worst defense in the NFL.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, it kinda feels like Morgan is just getting setup to be the fall guy. Come in here and clear out a bunch of mess, make the unpopular move of giving Burns away for little return, pay some OGs like LTs because our super processor is 5'8" and then I'll throw you under the bus and rage fire you when we're 0-6. Just seems like the way Tepper works.

Except Fitterer was peddling bullshit about "just needing to drop in a QB" that is very different from this year where everyone is saying "This year is just about getting football fundamentals right." completely different situation.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We're probably gonna go from an awful team with decent defense and the worst offense in the NFL to an awful team with mediocre offense and the worst defense in the NFL.

Mediocre offense?  I didn't know you were an optimist.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

You also run the risk of them paying a Danielle Hunter (16.5 sacks in 2023, only 29 Burns is 27 iirc), or going elsewhere, we didn't have leverage, and with Burns gone, our cap jumped even after the acquisitions. 

Per OTC - $25,483,547 in cap at the moment AFTER the initial signings, and we have well over 90M in 25' to help spread out extensions / signings. 

I like Burns as much as the next but not for 30M on average, is way too much, and that money is better spent building up the team in general.  

You're not going to go anywhere continually overpaying in FA for aging vets. It looks like they targeted fixing the interior OL and now we wait for mid-tier and low-tier FA's to fill in the rest of the roster. The best thing you can do in FA is pay a low price for a young commodity that outperforms what you paid them, a la Frankie Luvu when we signed him. You get 3 or 4 players like that and you're the Texans.

If Bryce ends up still being bad with the offensive overhaul, this could end up being one of the worst teams in NFL history. Like old Bucks, Saints bad. On the other hand if we light it up on offense and Bryce ends up a baller well then the rebuild is half complete. Watching us lose 49-42 every weak would at least be a fun watch. I don't mind doing it this way. Know exactly what we have in Bryce. Either gonna be a quick rebuild or a total blow up. Let's hope for the best.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1