• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft day Hypothetical

Round 1, pick 31 SF comes up and only 4 WRs have been selected so far in the first round. Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, and Thomas are all off the board and KC picks next at 32 with a glaring need at WR.

Do you try to jump KC to draft one of the remaining Available WRs in Mitchell, Franklin, Worthy, Pearsall, etc.?

Looking at the draft trade charts, it looks like the deal could potentially be made if we package pick 39 with our 4th rounder (pick 101). We would then miss out on the 4th round entirely and then have two picks back to back in the 5th.

Would you make the trade?

What is the most you would be willing to give up in order to make the deal?

Is there a WR you would be comfortable making that trade for?

Is it worth the trade to get the 5th year option built into his conract?

Is making sure you get the guy you want worth the potential 4th round pick given up to take him?

I don't want the Panthers to trade up or down.  Not with what the folks in charge have proven to date (Tepper and whatever Morgan was or wasn't under Fitt).   I think at some point you go to figure the former LB had big input in DJ Johnson.  Draft the best WR on the board at 33.  And if you draft BPA elsewhere then draft the BPA at WR at the next 2nd round spot. 

• Pie 1

No... I think its proven that there are a lot of talent in the 2nd round. Picking at the top of the 2nd also allows the entire front office the entire evening and next morning to evaluate the BPA or solicit trades.

Personally I would be looking for a trade partner that is not taking a position of need to move down a few spots to get more draft capital. 

We need quantity. 

• Pie 2

No. You made the argument against it yourself. There would still be several very desirable options available. Let KC have their pick. I also don't know if it's a great thing to leapfrog KC to nab a WR ahead of them for the morale of your rookie. Imagine being that WR. You're sitting there knowing that you have the opportunity to potentially go to KC and play for a modern day dynasty with a QB on the GOAT path and then you see the trade alert scroll across the ticker, your phone rings and there's that dreaded 704 area code...

0tzifkb.gif

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 2

Pick #33 is a very valuable pick if you are willing to trade down--

To be honest, the way I see the draft panning out--and a lot of this changes if we add another good player in free agency--I MIGHT trade up if a top 3-4 OLB Edge falls.  However, I think Detroit takes him, so I would have to move up to 28.

As for WR, I probably trade down because to me--after the first 5 WRs, the talent plateaus until almost the mid third round, depending on the kind of WR you need.  Prolly not getting an Alpha, but you need someone who can play early and often.  Add a pick or add a first next year and deal.

Here is the zinger that will cause people to poo me--I might even consider taking a third rounder and a first in next year's draft.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Pick #33 is a very valuable pick if you are willing to trade down--

To be honest, the way I see the draft panning out--and a lot of this changes if we add another good player in free agency--I MIGHT trade up if a top 3-4 OLB Edge falls.  However, I think Detroit takes him, so I would have to move up to 28.

As for WR, I probably trade down because to me--after the first 5 WRs, the talent plateaus until almost the mid third round, depending on the kind of WR you need.  Prolly not getting an Alpha, but you need someone who can play early and often.  Add a pick or add a first next year and deal.

Here is the zinger that will cause people to poo me--I might even consider taking a third rounder and a first in next year's draft.

last year the 33rd essentially just landed the trading team an additional 3rd round pick.  Everything else was swapping picks. 

I'd rather just draft BPA at 33

• Pie 2

You keep pick 33 and trade the Giants' pick if you trade a second round pick at all. By the time the Giants' pick comes up, teams will have seen if there is a run on a certain position group and might be willing to give up a decent deal to get whoever they want if that position group is starting to run thin.

Personally, I would trade a 4th + 39 to get the 5th WR. I don’t have much faith in our pick but objectively, if I knew the best of the 2nd tier, it would be worth it.

We’d still have 33 and 65. To make 39 a home run, I’ll give up the 4th.

The most important picks we have right now are 33, 39, 65, top 10 in 2025 and top of 3rd in 2025. I think we truly have to hit on 4 of those 5 at a minimum to get out of the cellar. I’m fairly certain there’s going to be a solid starter at 33 and next year’s top 10 so making 39 the 5th best WR in this class gets us to 3 of 5 picks having the opportunity to be solid starters and then we just need to hit on 1 of the two top of the 3rds and anything more is gravy.

That said, do I have faith in the same exact scouting department that got us 3 horrible drafts in a row? Not at all, but I’ll objectively answer the question.

• Pie 1

I'm just refraining from doing it unless one of the top 4 would fall which I really can't see happening.

Too many teams may target receivers, including a few late, like Pittsburgh, Detroit and  Baltimore

I wouldn't put it past Houston to draft another receiver either.

Edited by top dawg