• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Edgerrin Cooper

Jmac

Take the risk on Wilson. A third isn't a risk to begin with. If he's that good use the second 2. He's  mid second rd on Big Boards. He will be long gone if we aren't aggressive 

Edited by csx
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I get not a lot of people watch ACC ball but it’s Payton Wilson for me and I’m a UNC guy.

Wilson arguably had the best season of any linebacker in FBS football last year and he does everything well. He can get after the QB, stop the run, he’s great in coverage, his angles are excellent, etc… All of his question marks (i.e. injury history, strength, and age) have nothing to do with his actual play.

Just watch his tape against UNC, he absolutely dominated.

His competitive nature is exactly what the Panthers need.

I’d take the risk that his injury history is behind him and that with some NFL weight lifting, he’ll get a little stronger.

I get sean lee vibes, ILB for the cowboys. 2nd rounder, long career --- but didn't play many complete seasons. Buy when healthy a top 5 lb. 

9 hours ago, MHS831 said:

We do need ILB, CB, WR as our top 3 needs in my opinion.

How often we forget the TE position. Having a really good TE opens up everything. IMO it's actually a higher priority then ILB. 

• Pie 1

Re: LBs… I hope NFL draft rooms sleep on James Williams from Miami like mock drafts I’ve seen. Get this guy in the 3rd/4th and put him in Luvu’s role. I don’t know what kind of person he is, but on the field he’s a bully. 

Nah this offense has been garbage for years now. Jewell is good enough inside with Shaq. 

Panthers have to stop out thinking themselves. Historically good and deep WR/OL draft means 1st round talent will fall to the second. 

And I like Edgerrin. I really like Edgerrin. 

Unlikely but when it’s time to pick I wish BPA would correlate with a team need. But when it come to LB if Jr. Colson or Payton Wilson falls into 3rd round I’d strongly consider making one of them for that pick.

On 3/27/2024 at 11:07 PM, CarolinaRideorDie said:

I have read his scouting report and he is athletic and gifted but I prefer Payton Wilson or Jeremiah Trotter Jr. If Wilson didn't have injury history, lots of people say he is a first round talent as a MLB, that says a lot. 

Payton

On 3/27/2024 at 10:23 PM, Shotgun said:

This dude is going to whiff on so many tackles in the NFL. Takes like 10 seconds to drag the QB down on every sack, and in the open field relies on thumping and never wraps up.

You can forget Wilson dropping to the 3rd round.  No way, a player falls to the 3rd round when he scooped up the Butkus and Bednarik awards.  

If we are desperate for a WR at 33 the best, we can hope for is Wilson falls to 39.

I'd take Wilson at 33 and WR at 39. 

I also think a plus with Wilson is he's been in Luke's back pocket for several years and they communicate often. (Or so I heard)

• Pie 1

Cooper is more Luvu (motor, blitz ability)

Wilson is more Kuechly (tackling machine, instincts)

Immediate impact players. And Wilson is not getting out the top 40 unless his medical is worse than expected. 

Cooper with his closing speed could be a nightmare in our scheme lined up with Clowney, Wonnum and Shaq. We could manufacture more pressure.  

And pairing Wilson and Jewell would be actually insane from the instincts standpoint. No more 30 yard run gashes. 

This draft is so deep we "could" walk out with 3 starting caliber players before our first pick in the fourth imo. 

And I'll say this, if we drafted Wilson or Cooper and ended up signing Gilmore...Our defense "should" be improved from last year. Cooper is the Day 1 playmaker while Wilson is the diagnose, play recognize and attack player. Both are plug and play ...for this team. 

The big question on Cooper is where were the sack totals before this year? Could his production simply be because he’s more experienced? He only had 0.5 sacks in his entire college career going into his senior season.

Wilson on the other hand has been truly dominant since his sophomore year.