• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off-season so far ....

rayzor

personnel compared to last year  

98 members have voted

1. 1. are we better off or worse off?

• better
    • worse

1 hour ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I agree.  I like the Diontae Johnson trade in vacuum.  It's pretty low risk by itself.  But as our biggest skill player acquisition, it's pretty underwhelming.  Beyond him, it's just Adam Thielen.  And Thielen could fall off a cliff at his age.

Improved OL should help the run game, but I agree with you and @Bear Handsabout still needing help with ball carriers and pass catchers. Those two and center are the only big areas I see we need to address. Other areas can be strengthened, but those three have to be fit in the draft.

1RB, 2 WRs, and a pass catching TE.

• Pie 1

Much better if you look at it with more of a long term outlook. Morgan & Tilis have not spent a lot of future salary cap or draft capital that Fitt-Rhule/Reich were so fond of. They have recovered some of the cap & draft capital previously spent with some timely cuts & trades. 2024 will be rough, but 2025-26 are looking vastly better as a result.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, nogoodbum said:

Much better if you look at it with more of a long term outlook. Morgan & Tilis have not spent a lot of future salary cap or draft capital that Fitt-Rhule/Reich were so fond of. They have recovered some of the cap & draft capital previously spent with some timely cuts & trades. 2024 will be rough, but 2025-26 are looking vastly better as a result.

Excited Lets Go GIF

• Pie 1

Talent? Just slightly better.

D is musically chairs.   I’d call it a push until play shows otherwise.  We lost folks.  Got folks.  Hard to call it different than that IMO. 

overall on O I would say only slightly better and with the emphasis on OL.    But that’s really all we have done outside of swapping Chark for Johnson.   Which I still don’t view that outside spot as a major game changer given the QB is Bryce. 

Coaching? Slightly better.  Frank Reich was horrific here.  Bar on the floor.  So any HC should be able to do better.  ST coach last year showed more competency than Frank. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

Vegas has us and the Patriots with the worst projected wins at 4.5. Depending on the draft I may get froggy and jump on that

I think we can win 5+ and if I were a betting man I'd put money on that. Before last year the last time we won less than 5 games was 2010. Even under Tepper every year except last year we've won 5+, and that included some years where there were only 16 games. Looks like easy money to me. New coaching staff, upgraded roster, Bryce hopefully developing at least a little bit in year 2 (I mean he was a highly rated prospect for a reason).

I don't really have any optimism left about this team under Tepper, last year dried it all up, but I'd be pretty shocked if we don't win at least 5 games.

Edited by t96
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Need a 3rd option.  Unknown. 

Anything other than this needs to come with a caveat in my opinion.  I am quite satisfied with the moves they made and it looks like there is a plan.  But...  We don't/cant/won't know whether or not this works until the games are played. 

Not hating on Morgan or putting the team down.  I give Morgan and Co all the props as lots of these moves look to be calculated and appear to address holes, but we don't know until they play the games.  

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I mean just on paper, losing Brian Burns and Frankie Luvu.  Maybe Jadaveon Clowney and Josie Jewell have monster seasons and they're even better.  But on paper I'd say we downgraded talent there.  I think they knew the defense would have to take a hit so the offense could be improved.

I just think that the defense will be better overall. 

Losing Luvu will hurt because I don't believe that Jewell will be sent on rushes or used with such versatility due to limitations, but I also see real the potential for more pressure period because of the upside of Wonnum and Chaisson (as well as Clowney of course). Jewell will not have to do that and can play his position. Thompson and Jewell should be very sound. 

I also don't expect to be pushed around in the run game on the interior as much, as A-Rob is a mountain.

Fuller and Scott, should also be sound additions on the back end. I'd like to see some depth---hell, some more meat added at corner, but we have some experience.

I just think that the sun will be greater than the parts if you look at all the experienced, sound personnel that we have on the defense as compared to the past season. 

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Need a 3rd option.  Unknown. 

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

Nah, I thought of a few other options, but I wanted it to be a case of "forced to choose, would you say it was better or worse"?

I know there are some other things to take into consideration, but just a snapshot of the roster last year and looking strictly at who we lost, kept, and obtained what does your gut say?

This maybe, well not correct of saying- I feel they lost talent overall, *but got better fits. So does that mean they improve?? That's one formula model I haven't crack. Example college BB roster. One team has stayed together all 4 years and the other is the 5 star freshman group. WHo wins? I've seen both sides win before. 

Panthers got some players that had some of their better seasons with the coaches. Like Im the biggest luvu guy there is, but I think Jewell will have more impact *as a pure LB/MLB.(I'd put luvu as OLB other side of Burns and told him to kill the person with the ball.)

So I think they will play better as a team, but I still feel winning over 2 games would be just as hard as this past year given the decrease in overall talent. 

The true fix to this is young talent. Period!. That's mainly comes from the draft. I will feel better once Danny boy starts drafting some.....hell just decent/average players would be a improvement.....

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I'd say it's a push given my options. There's no way of telling.  Last season they thought they had an all-star staff. That was not true. This year it's "player upgrades". 

But having said that, it appears they have upgraded the oline and dline at a few spots. I love that mindset in team building but the results of player choices has yet to prove itself on the field. I'm also very doubtful of these new coaches. I'm hoping I am completely wrong about this staff but I do not think they will be able to pull this off.

So, I will say they got better at having a good plan but that's all I can give you until the season is over.

I think it’s a little better, but not competing for playoffs better. On offense, OL looks better, especially if we pick up a starting center (better than moving Corbett). We did not improve much at the skilled positions yet. Diontae is a possible improvement but TE and RB are very much bottom of the NFL and we still don’t have a DJ Moore level talent at WR. I hope we get lucky in the draft at WR.

On defense, seems like a wash that we don’t know for sure. We lost some and gained some. Either way, unless we have a great draft, we’re not different enough that we’d have an above .500 chance. I didn’t say anything about QB even though I don’t believe Young is the guy.

• Beer 1

If there was a 3rd option of C that was: push/about the same I think it would have gotten some votes.  Did the worst team in the NFL attempt to get better? Sure.  So did teams 1-31.  

last year our main problem IMO was nothing fit together offensively.  Coaches that preferred X or Z.  QB suited and needing Y.  Talent didn’t pair well with any of it.  Bad marriages.

I still feel like the coach, QB and talent don’t sync up.