• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the Carolina Panthers select a center in the 2024 NFL Draft?

Cliff notes:

• Points out that 9 of the top 10 centers in the league were drafted by their teams
  • Talks about how the rest of the Oline has been addressed except for center
  • Says it's past time the Panthers should draft a center since they haven't drafted one since Kalil
  • Goes through the list of guys since Kalil that the Panthers have thrown at the position and how they weren't good or failed to stick
  • Says the Panthers do have other needs(WR, Edge, CB, LB, etc)
  • Points out that edge has been addressed in free agency while center has not
  • Says the team might not feel any of the second round edge rushers are alpha type players
  • Thinks the Panthers might not be able to afford to wait until the third round or later to draft a center
  • Says he would ignore edge in the second round since they signed two guys that can start
  • Thinks WR should also be addressed in the second round
  • There's more in the half hour video
  • Pie 3

Most of the OL, but especially center and OT you do what you can to keep. unless they get way too expensive or they just aren't performing well, you aren't going to let them go. we've been trying to address it in FA and we just aren't going to be able to do that well. 

we need to draft one. there's about 5 in this draft that i would feel really good about and another 4-5 that i think would be ok with. 

i mean there's some solid choices available with some decent experience even working in zone blocking schemes so they should be an easy fit. don't see why wouldn't be making it a priority.

i'm just hoping that it's just a matter of not wanting to tip their hat towards someone in particular. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, jayboogieman said:

Cliff notes:

• Says he would ignore edge in the second round since they signed two guys that can start

Don't know that I agree with this point.  The only proven and consistent pass rusher on the entire D-line is Clowney, so grabbing an EDGE, especially one that could reduce inside like YGM did last season on passing downs (thinking Robinson or Kneeland types) seems like a huge need on paper.

Center is a need and could easily be BPA though.  Team might continue with building from the inside out and snag JPJ, Barton or Frazier there in the second.

14 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Don't know that I agree with this point.  The only proven and consistent pass rusher on the entire D-line is Clowney, so grabbing an EDGE, especially one that could reduce inside like YGM did last season on passing downs (thinking Robinson or Kneeland types) seems like a huge need on paper.

Center is a need and could easily be BPA though.  Team might continue with building from the inside out and snag JPJ, Barton or Frazier there in the second.

I get his point that edge is less of a need thanks to free agency than center. The Panthers simply don't have a true center on the roster.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I really hope we do.  Never really though JPJ would fall to us, but you never know.  I'll take Barton at 33.  I've been running some mocks where he's been taken i the first, so maybe he's moving up the charts.

If a beast edge falls, we may have to take him, but it's not a priority to me.  We aren't trying to get to the Super Bowl this year, we're trying to build, and center makes the most sense for the future.

helps protect our new QB for the next 10 years.  and gives him a chance to develop comfortably with our new receivers.  It's never sexy to draft a center, especially with so many skill positions needed, but it's the right thing to do if we feel he is the guy.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

JPJ is the no brainer pick if he is there at 33 and won't be mad if Zach Frazier is the pick at 39.

Either one will be our Ryan Kalil for the next decade.

Exactly.  Would love to have a guy step in that slot and be done.  All depends how the draft falls but if one of those guys is available it would be hard not to jump on the pick.

6 minutes ago, pdub0702 said:

Zach Frazier at 33 and WR at 39. Don’t overthink it.

I agree but only if JPJ comes off the board in R1.  And I think we can get Frazier @ 39 if we go BPA WR or CB @ 33. Either way we can’t lose.